Aeorshell 100 plus / XP-IO360 oil analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie to the forum, and was hoping for a little insight on oil analysis interpretation. I posted this on the oil analysis forum first, but it was recommended I might try it over here.
I built an experimental aircraft with a XP-IO360 engine. It was broke in using straight mineral oil to seat the rings for the the first 48 hrs, then changed to the additive containing Aeroshell 100 plus oil. After 42 additional hours I changed the oil, and sent a sample of this oil for analysis to Polaris Labs, and got the results back showing a high amount of lead.
Since this engine is run on 100 octane leaded aviation fuel, I would expect there to be lead, but I was wondering if anyone in the forum would know what the normal amount would be, and for that matter what the norms would be for all the wear metals, contaminant metals, multi source metals, and additive metals ?

Thanks!

Here they are:
Iron -12
Chromium-6
Nickle-0
Aluminum-3
Copper-40
Lead-2855
Tin-0
Cadmium-2
Silver-0
Titanium-0
vanadiun-0
Silicon-7
Sodium-0
Potassium-0
Molybdenum-0
Antimony-3
Manganese-0
Lithium-0
Boron-0
Calcium-11
Barium-0
Phosphorus-890
Zinc-10

Originally Posted By: flyboy52
Here they are:
Iron -12
Chromium-6
Nickle-0
Aluminum-3
Copper-40
Lead-2855
Tin-0
Cadmium-2
Silver-0
Titanium-0
vanadiun-0
Silicon-7
Sodium-0
Potassium-0
Molybdenum-0
Antimony-3
Manganese-0
Lithium-0
Boron-0
Calcium-11
Barium-0
Phosphorus-890
Zinc-10

Everything looks good except the copper is a little high (should be less than 7) because of the phosphate anti-scuff that Shell uses.
How many hours per year do you fly?
You might consider 25-30 hour oil changes.

Ed

I now have about 105 hrs in the last 9 months since it was first signed off for test flights.

Quote:
changed to the additive containing Aeroshell 100 plus oil.

I am not sure what you are saying here.

How many total hours on this oil, 42?

Yes, it had 42 hrs on it. Ed had asked how many hoursa a year I fly, and I was answering that I had flown 105 in the 9 months since the plane had been signed of by the DAR to start test flights. So I suspect I will be in the 140 range for the first year this plane is flown. Hard to say how much it will be later.

Good luck. Keep the approach speed up, a tad high, and headed into the wind.
34.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back