Major FUBAR at Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

Ford had been putting a lot of hopes into the Flex - a seven-passenger vehicle with a fuel-efficiency the company thought would help sell the vehicle in this era of robust gas prices.

But those sales haven't materialized, largely due to a downturn of the U.S. economy.

CHCH-TV reported Tuesday that since Flex production began in the late spring, Ford has sold approximately 500 of the 13,000 or so that were produced.

Canada.com

I haven't seen one yet. I've been driving by the lot to catch a close up of one.

Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. The Fusion didn't sell right away either and now it's posting decent numbers. Give it a little more time to see if it catches on. The Flex is one of those love it or hate it type of vehicles.

The funniest thing about that car is that it looks like a brick (everything in its design is rectangular) and yet it's called Flex.

I think the major issue with slow sales is that it is not advertised at all.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
The funniest thing about that car is that it looks like a brick (everything in its design is rectangular) and yet it's called Flex.

Not unlike the toaster called the Scion xB. It seems to do well. You're right about the advertising. Perhaps if it had a Toyota badge it would do much better.

I'd never even heard of the Flex until this thread, and I see Ford ads (even worse, Mercury ads) ALL THE TIME!!!. At first I though you were talking about about Flex-fuel vehicles.

Is that like having a car marketed primarily towards women and calling it a "Probe?"

the flex's at our work say they get 17-24mpg, they seen to go for mid30s. i dont know anyone in my age group, im 24, that would want a car like that for that much. anyone spending that much usually goes for bmw.

The Flex is just what I need. When my Expedition gives up the ghost, I'll probably get a Flex. I need room for 5 and all the junk room behind the second seat with the third row folded. I also need to pull a couple of jetski's around and I like the AWD for snow days. X-plan pricing seems reasonable, although it can always be less. If real world mileage is in the 17-ish city range, then that's almost 50% more than what I'm getting now.

I like the vehicle. It's a good alternative to those suburbanites who are too trendy to drive a minivan yet don't want to be stigmatized for driving a large SUV to haul little Joey and Katie and their friends to soccer, the school play, or to (gasp!) the dentist.

Some cool features are to be found. But not enough advertising has been done. Maybe due to a spat between marketing and (insert division/name here)?

They do advertise it however, at least here in Chicago. On the rare occasions I watch TV I see a Flex commercial about twice an hour in the evening.

I've yet to see one in person, but based on the commercials, it appears to have bizarre ribbed sides.... ?? I can't help but wonder, what was the inspiration behind its design - a Greyhound bus?

Originally Posted By: css9450

They do advertise it however, at least here in Chicago. On the rare occasions I watch TV I see a Flex commercial about twice an hour in the evening.

I've yet to see one in person, but based on the commercials, it appears to have bizarre ribbed sides.... ?? I can't help but wonder, what was the inspiration behind its design - a Greyhound bus?

Not a Greyhound bus. It's the rebirth of an International Travelall.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Not a Greyhound bus. It's the rebirth of an International Travelall.

That's the one! The Greyhound is much too streamlined.

Off Topic: I think Ford is best positioned (of the American car manufacterers) to rebound. They have products in Europe that would compete well with the Japanese. I rate Ford a strong buy at the current stock price. Kerkorien just paid over $8 a share so he must feel the same way.

Even being a competitor, I wish Ford the best. Competition is good for everyone. It makes better product, and more competitive prices.

That being said, Ford WOULD be in the best position except for 2 things, 1. The factories are mortgaged to the hilt, and 2. There best seller is the F150.

My next door neighbor just bought a new Flex. Not a bad vehicle at all.

And since we are talking about bricks, toasters, and busses, what about the two shoe boxes I own, the Honda Element.

Yeah, funny how the Flex is a brick, but the xB and Element are cutting-edge designs.....

Just some gentle ribbing here, folks.

I've seen a Flex in the dealer's lot near my Mom's house, and saw a review on Motorweek on Monday. Looks nice, but a little pricey for me.

Originally Posted By: Mookitty

Is that like having a car marketed primarily towards women and calling it a "Probe?"

I had a Probe!
LOL.gif
Wish I still had it as it got silly good gas mileage.
crackmeup2.gif

I sawa my first Flex two weeks ago parked outside the local public library. I thought the things were still concepts. I had no idea Ford had started production. Not much press at all, even from the motoring publications. I'd have figured Car and Driver would have done a story, at least. Looking at their site, I see a link to a story in the June issue. Must have been tucked in the back somewhere.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Yeah, funny how the Flex is a brick, but the xB and Element are cutting-edge designs.....

Just some gentle ribbing here, folks.

I've seen a Flex in the dealer's lot near my Mom's house, and saw a review on Motorweek on Monday. Looks nice, but a little pricey for me.

And you've nailed it. Pricey and lower fuel economy:

Model: Ford Edge SE 2WD
Sticker Price: $25735
Weight: 4078#
City/Hwy MPG: 16/24

Model: Honda Element LX 2WD
Sticker Price: $19780
Weight: 3499#
City/Hwy MPG: 20/25

Model: Scion xB
Sticker Price: $16,600
Weight: 3086#
City/Hwy MPG: 22/28MPG

The Ford is a heavy, expensive choice compared to the other two. It outweighs the Scion by 1/2 a ton, and is almost 600# heavier than the Element.

If you start looking at cargo capacity, the Edge doesn't even has as much maximum cargo area as the Element at 70 cu ft for the Edge and 75 cu ft for the Element.

The Scion xB, at 1/2 ton less mass than the Edge has 69.9 cu ft of max cargo capacity.

Now if you want to tow 3500#, the Edge is your vehicle, as the other two are only rated to tow 1500#.

But I'm thinking for the nearly $10K less the xB costs compared to the Edge, I could rent something if the need to tow ever came up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back