Parts Master by Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone familiar with Parts Master oil filters? At the parts store today I was looking for a Wix. The counter guy offered me a 'cheaper' model made by Wix also. I looked at one and the quality looked similar to me except for the anti-drainback valve which was not the pale orange color of the one in the Wix model.
They were $2.08 compared with $6.70 for the Wix. I bought two Parts Masters.
Any thoughts?

Barkleymut - Are you familiar with the Parts Masters? Are they as good as the regular Wix?

Last edited:
They can't be the same as the ProSelect filters unless NAPA has licensed the design.

Your parts guy has his head where the sun dares not go. Wix only makes ONE Wix filter with the Wix name on it. We DO NOT make a Wix branded, second, third or fourth line (quality) Wix branded filter, ie Carquest Red/Blue. We do make (assemble) better quality filters for some companies and we do make lesser quality filters for some companies. But there is only one Wix (top tier)branded filter. Just because we make it, does not mean it is a Wix Filter disguised as another brand, although some are.
38.gif

It is not a Wix branded filter. It is a Parts Master branded filter. Probably a lesser quality filter made for a company, as you suggest. At $2.08, I never suggested that it was "the Wix" filter. Just made by Wix.

Last edited:
It's hard for some to distinguish between a WIX® filter and a filter made by WIX for other vendors. There is only one WIX® branded filter offered by WIX. It is identical to a few offerings under other labels. Wix manufacturers many filters for other vendors to those vendor's spec's and are sold under those vendor's labels.

There is only one WIX filter ..while many filters are made by WIX.

Champ, Purolator, Fram.. all of them do this. If I have the money to pay for it, a Gary Allan Bangin' Jammin' filter line can be created and can roll off of any number of assembly lines. I can use their "in the can" offering (something that they already have available to "name brand" - NG or CQ Blue in Wix's case), or I can configure it to my needs (like Amsoil).

Not all filter mans offer all fitments. When a sales rep goes into a factory, fleet owner, service center, supply house, etc. and is offering "full coverage", that can take in a whole lot. Filler stock is often purchased and relabeled ..or can be had with no label ...etc..etc. It's done all the time.

Gary's points are excellent, and right on the money. Wix puts it's name only on it's top line products. But, it will make filters for anyone that wants them. You choose the features/content, and they make it. You can get NG that is identical to Wix in construction/performance, but the asthetics are differnt due to branding. Or, you can get a lower Napa offereing, made by Wix, but Wix will not have same in it's own product line.

And that concept is not just limited to filters.

We make HVAC equipment where I work; one of the major players in the market. From two main product lines, we directly market more than 10 brands. We also have a no-name option where you can buy them, slap your own label on them, and market them anyway you see fit. Several companies you would recognize actually buy our stuff and re-label. Further, the brands are all set up with perceived hierarchy for content; pay more, get more features, so to speak. However, there is HUGE overlap in this arena.

This isn't new; it's been like this since marketing began. Probably started shortly after (or coincident to) the world's oldest profession ...

Last edited:
I understand the marketing concept as it applies to auto parts or any other product. My original question was how good the Parts Master filters were.

Originally Posted By: wbwanzer
I understand the marketing concept as it applies to auto parts or any other product. My original question was how good the Parts Master filters were.

Oh, you didn't like the side excursion?
LOL.gif

Well, techincally these were put up by the OP:
Thread topic: "Parts Master by Wix?"
"Is anyone familiar with Parts Master oil filters?"
"Any thoughts?"

Regarding the global economics lesson, I, for one, thought you were tending to the "who made this filter and why" topic. It was not my intent to infer you didn't understand the marketing issues; I guess I was just supporting and expanding on Gary's commments. I want to appologize if I offended you; I am sorry if that occured.

Just as a heads up, several here (certainly including me!) tend to be verbose at times. It is, after all, a social network of lubricant related zealots!
wink.gif
With that in mind, specific questions typically get specific answers; but you called filter-heredity into account ("Parts Master by Wix?"), and "Any thoughts" is going to attract just exactly what you got.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. No I was not offended. I guess in trying to provide background info I got a little verbose myself with the question. I should have just asked, "Are Parts Master filters any good?". I'll try not to over think it next time.

LT4 - Yes that is the same 'Parts Master' that I bought. Nice stash of fluids and filters, by the way. I showed my wife. She thinks you're sick. She doesn't get it.
Anyway, I bought two Parts Masters since they were $2.08. I put one on the car and ended up cutting the other open. It looks to be of good quality, but by my calculations, there was only about 60 sq inches of media. Doesn't seem like much. Granted it's not a large filter (61356). I should purchase a Wix 51356 and cut it open to really see the difference. I'll update this post if and when I do that.
Thanks for your input.

For 5K OCI's the PartsMaster, Supertech, AAP, Proline...etc (any low cost $2 oil filter) will do just fine.

I do have trouble staying away from closeout oil deals.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back