Can I start with ARX maint. for Cherokee with 58K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with 6 cyl that has 58K on it and the prior owner said he used synthetic oil. I also doubt he extended any oil changes. He owned it for the last 50K miles. Oddly it had a black Fram oil filter on it (pretty sure it was Fram). (Imagine a Fram filter with synthetic oil).

Given the mileage and no problems, I was considering going with the 3 oz. maint dose of Auto-Rx rather than going through a clean and rinse.

For best results I would do a Clean and Rinse, Maintenance Dose is for new cars or a car that has less than 20K in my opinion. The car you got has only 58K, so it saw about 8000 miles a year, was it only highway driving, does the owner have records of previous oil changes, it is hard too say, why is he selling this car, I would take his VIN number and do a Carfax Report, also he has to show you proof that he has used synthetic oil, when I bought my Marauder with 10,000 miles the 1st thing I did when I got home was chnge the oil, the previous owner gave me a couple of quarts of Amsoil and showed me his old receits for the oil changes, even though the oil was only in there for 2000 miles I changed it anyways and started a Maintenance Dose of Auto-Rx after contacting Frank at Auto-Rx who told me to go on the Maintenance Dose, good luck.

Doing the one cleaning on it cant hurt. My 2006 Camry with only 21,000 miles has some carbon/sludge in the oil filler area. I am almost to the end of the initial cleaning phase. Cant wait to get the rinse under way. When Im done Amsoil SSO down the hatch!

So if the opinion is to do a clean and rinse, then I assume I can add it to the currently installed synthetic oil, run it for 2K, then switch to a dino oil for the rinse?

Yes you can, how many miles are on the oil now, I would recommend that you put a new oil filter on and during the Rinse Phase use the cheapest dino oil you can get like Wal-Mart Super Tech. The reason I recommend a new oil filter when you put in the Auto-Rx is that junk will soon be going to your oil filter, we have no idea how much stuff is in your present oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So if the opinion is to do a clean and rinse, then I assume I can add it to the currently installed synthetic oil, run it for 2K, then switch to a dino oil for the rinse?

I just bought some ARX, and it is my understanding that it works best with freshly changed dino oil, and a new filter. Depending on how much junk is in the engine swapping out the filter halfway through the clean and rinse phases isn't a bad idea either, just top off with clean oil. Some really dirty engines might require a few filter changes. If you are going to be using synthetic oil it works best with a Group lll oil such as PP.
Frank D
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I'll go against the grain and say try a 6oz treatment followed by a rinse, then the 3oz maintenance dose. Save the full clean for when you get to 100k.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE A R/X WEBSITE. Then there won't be a need to make up instructions.

What is missing from the instructions is how to handle a new car. Certainly there is no sludge at 2 or 3 miles. Should you start your maint. dose at your first oil change? Do you ever need a full clean & rinse if you do maint. dose from first oil change on.

My point is with 58K miles is it still a pretty new engine sludge wise and can one just use a maint. dose.

if cost is an issue then just do the maintence dose, if it were my money i would want to start from scratch so to speak and just clean it according to the auto rx web site instructions. my two cents
Duane

Originally Posted By: Steve S
READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE A R/X WEBSITE. Then there won't be a need to make up instructions.

Actually, the website directions have changed and evolved over time, based on user input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back