8,000-lb travel trailer wheel bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready for annual service on our travel trailer. Replaced bearings and races on this tandem-axle trailer last year (HADCO axles).

In looking at older threads by BOB (site originator), I am leaning towards SCHAEFFERS #238 Moly Supreme Grease, an aluminum complex, extreme-pressure synthetic blend.

Per MolaKules directions, the bearings will be cleaned in a 50/50 mix of diesel/kerosene prior to re-packing the bearings.

Any thoughts or links to other, similar greases? (I had been using #221-2).

Thanks.

I assume the trailer has tapered roller bearings? There has been discussion here about the extra-tacky greases not being ideal for roller bearings - I seem to recall that the extra tackifiers added friction and just were not needed with tapered rollers. (Schaeffer's web page says 238 has extra tackifiers.)

I just tried the search and struck out - you may want to try searching for roller bearings and tackifiers.

Have you had any problems with the 221? Did you replace the bearings based on a failure that you suspect to be grease-related or caused?

If not and they were just wore out, I'd probably stick with 221... But that's just me talking...

ltr,
b

I have good luck using the Mobil Synthetic Grease (the red colored stuff). Six bucks a tube at my local Farm and Fleet store. Use it on swingarm bearings and such on my four wheeler, boat trailer, and utility trailer. I know Amsoil has some really good greases as well on their site.

Thank you for the replies. I'm getting near the end of the tube of 221, but, will take salesreps advice on continuing to use it.

BOB advised, some years ago now, that 221 was ideal for northern climates, and 238 somewhat better for southern. As I recall, this was for boat trailers.

Yes, the bearings/races are tapered. I'll do a search on that subject to further educate myself.

The bad thing about M1 grease is that it seems to bleed more than some other greases, so things like grease guns drool where they're stored. The good thing about M1 grease is that it bleeds a bit and seems to get better redistributed in some assemblies compared to a high tack grease. For general use M1 grease seemed to lube so much better than a regular Penzoil wheel bearing grease that I threw the Penzoil out. Around the house and on vehicles I use M1 grease a lot, but for the wheel bearings on my son's older F150 I did use a Ford spec'd wheel bearing grease with moly, even though I doubt it provides better protection.

Mobil 1 grease definitely has its uses. I just got into using it because it was easily available locally. I have read that the Mystik JT-6 type greases are top notch. Mystik has a synthetic blend for about 4 bucks a tube.

I recently used Tractor Supply Company branded "Premium Truck and Tractor " grease in my TT...the bearings don't even get warm after a 200 mile/65 mph run. I will be using this exclusively from now on...

I would hazard a guess that TSC grease is actually rebadged Mystic, since both are sold there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back