Rv , how often do you repack the bearing on your travel trailer ?

Please pass the information to SKF and Timken, i Think they have it all wrong :)

So you have no explanation for millions of boat trailers, packed full of grease, and no issues (not from "over greasing" anyway). Real World, it's not an issue.

I repack and replace seals every 10k +/-. Lippert axles so no fancy zerk option. It's due before the next trip, about a 2 hour job for all. We travel in some hot temps and did a 6700 mile trip to the east in April. Set cruise at 65 and roll along.

So you have no explanation for millions of boat trailers, packed full of grease, and no issues (not from "over greasing" anyway). Real World, it's not an issue.
I think the argument could be made that most (not all) boat trailers are used in different conditions than many utility or RV trailers.
Likely shorter trips and immersion in water are two factors. Boats trailers can benefit from the hubs being full of grease and its my understanding that the EZ lube was created for them in order to push any water intrusion out of the hub. I believe some boat trailer axles require a different type of grease ( I dont own a boat so I have no experience there) The warm hub when immersed in cooler water will pull the water into the hub. Boat trailers live in an even more harsh environment than other type trailers, especially those used in salt water.

I think the argument could be made that most (not all) boat trailers are used in different conditions than many utility or RV trailers.
Likely shorter trips and immersion in water are two factors. Boats trailers can benefit from the hubs being full of grease and its my understanding that the EZ lube was created for them in order to push any water intrusion out of the hub. I believe some boat trailer axles require a different type of grease ( I dont own a boat so I have no experience there) The warm hub when immersed in cooler water will pull the water into the hub. Boat trailers live in an even more harsh environment than other type trailers, especially those used in salt water.

Reasonable answer, but plenty take their boats from Jersey/NY area to Fl and back often (some "snowbirds, every year). Again, fully packed with grease, as that is how many boat trailers come with these caps.

I've personally had my boat trailer from jersey to NC and back with no "overgreased" issue.
I made my own "EZ lube" setup, and use double seals on the inside of hub to keep grease from coming out during "greasing" (and keeps seal from blowing out, as some have suggested could or does happen with single seal), and keep water out (as much as possible).

My bet is overall, there are more trailers running around that fail from lack of bearing service, than those failing from an EZ lube system that gets greased often, and has grease packed in.

Back