Whining noise from diff.....extreme cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada,North America,Western Hemisphere,Earth,Milk
I am getting a whining noise from my rear diff and possibly my transfer case as well. The noise goes away after driving for ten minutes or so. Its an 03 Toyota Highlander and temperatures are hovering around -40 Celsius with the wind chill. In the fall I replaced the transfer case & diff with Amsoil ATF. Is this a normal noise that accompanies the cold or would it be remedied with a different fluid?

For the most point in those temps I dont think many fluids are going to flow very well even amsoil and I use SVG 75w90 myself.

Your best bet is to stick with amsoil and just drive VERY easy on the vehicle for the first few miles or until things are starting to warm up.

I agree with Vspec. I don't think you'll find another 75W90 with better cold weather performance than SVG. Just drive easily for 10 minutes before you jump into the fast lane.

Glad you clarified that.

My comment is that you aren't going to find too many other 75W-90 with cold temp flow properties lower/better than SVG, which is a relatively light 75W-90 (vs. the old gear oil spec. especially).

Stuff just makes noise at those temps.....

You should have heard my old Land Rover at -45F with straight 90 in the drivetrain and 20W-50 in the crankcase. It started, but the engine squeaked in agony. The oil in the drivetrain was so solidified that I had to use low range just to move! That period in my life was my first exposure to the wonders of synthetic oil in cold weather.

Does the factory spec call for 80w90 in that drivetrain? My wifes Lexus (Toyota with lockwashers) has a similar drivetrain and whines when cold with 75w90 syn but doesnt with 80w90 dino go figure.
21.gif

What was the actual temperature? Although animals definitely are affected by "Wind chill", this term doesn't apply to mechanical parts.....

Actual average temperature of -35 Celsius this week.

Factory calls for 75w90 so there is not much I can do unless I can find a thinner gear oil. Is the whining noise linked to wear or is this something I just have to live with till it warms up a bit? I might just try a dino gear oil if that is the case as in PT1;s.

What dino oil did you use in your wife's lexus?

byez,

Does your Highlander have AWD or a "high-low" selectable range? I ask because my wife's 2005 Highlander is AWD, thus, no transfer case.

And while the whine may be unsettling, I'd whine, too, at those temps! I'd stick with the synthetic SVG gear lube as opposed to the dino, regardless of the whine.

Cold weather brings out many noises.
As long as the fluid meets your required spec, all should be OK. Just make sure that it is topped off.

stuff does just make noise at such temperatures.

That said, a diff oil without the best cold temperature specs will indeed tent to channel at first, because of its flow properties. I wouldnt expect 75w-90 syn lube to do it, but who knows, it may have a good deal of water in it, or something else.

JMH

Its AWD and its strange how your wife's does not have a transfer case? Are you sure? I have been under mine and personally changed out the fluid in the transfer case.

Anyways I had factory fill for 80km/50mi and when I drained it the magnetic drain plug had quite a bit of buildup. I changed it with Lucas Gear Oil and after reading reviews I swapped it out for Amsoil Long Life Gear Lube a week later. Not the Amsoil Severe Gear Lube that people are mentioning.

Vehicle has 98km/61mi now. Should I drain it out in the spring or would it be too early?

I HAVE A 2005 RAV 4 AND IT IS ALL WHEEL DRIVE. YES, THERE IS A TRANSFERCASE, BUT NOT A SELECTABLE KIND. IT IS RIGHT BEHIND THE ENGINE AND TRANSAXLE. IT HAS A DRAIN AND FILL PLUG. JUST A WORD OF CAUTION, IF YOU CAN'T REACH OR ACCESS THE FILL PLUG, DO NOT DRAIN THE FLUID.

byez and kazual,

Okay, I thought that "transfer case" was the front differential! I had it drained at 5k miles and yep, it's a real PITA to refill. At the next refill at 35k miles, I'll use a Amsoil handpump with the SVG 75w90. The rear diff was much easier to drain and fill.

Are you sure it's the differential? I'm not familiar with your lay out, but does your rear drive shaft connect directly with your t-case? Just wondering if a pillow block bearing is involved (commonly called a "carrier" bearing"). That too, may produce such a noise until so many revolutions produce some quieter temp condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back