Zerex G-05 for Subaru's, change to Zerex Asian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I've been running Zerex G-05 in my 2000, 1996, and 1994 Subaru's for years. I see in recent years Zerex has come out with an Asian formulation. I'm wondering if I should switch to this Asian formula or just stick with the G-05?

These older soobs all use Subaru's traditional coolant (not Subaru's new 10 year 'super coolant' which might be a dexclone). Thank you.

I'm using Peak Global lifetime in mine (with the conditioner) as Zerex only comes in 50/50 pre mix.

It came with the green from the factory.

From what I've read and time I spent the G05 is close but no too close to what Subaru wants. PGL is closer I guess but I wanted to have all the vehicles using the same thing.

Whatever you do, IF you switch, make sure you get all the old stuff out as mixing any of these fluids seems not to be the best idea.

Good luck, Bill

I'd continue with G05. ran it in my 2000 Forester for 178,000 miles without any issues. I did use the Suabaru "anti weep" stuf in the radiator though.

Zerex G-05 full concentrate is hard to find now, I bought 2 gallons few years ago at Pep Boys but I did not see it any auto parts store anymore. Peak Global Lifetime concentrate is also hard to find too. The only widely available is Peak/Preston all makes. I think Napa may have either or both.

If you can find Peak Global Lifetime concentrate I would use it in Asian engines, second choice is Asian formula but it only comes in 50/50 pre-mix.

Ok, thanks for the info. Let me check out that Peak Global Lifetime formulation to see what's in it. Subaru's traditional coolant looks like a basic silicate free coolant with some buffer in it to keep it from getting too acidic (it appears aluminum likes it slightly basic for corrosion protection). There's a good article on endwrench.com about the Subaru coolant.

The Zerex G-05 I bought was not prediluted; it was full strength. But granted that was a few years back so maybe it isn't available that way anymore.

I add the Subaru conditioner (Holts Radweld stop leak actually), since the 2000 does have the external head gasket weaping leak potential, though I haven't had any problems with it (so far!) to 150k miles.

Interesting, I was looking at Peak Global Lifetime. It looks like that is a full OAT coolant? Subaru says not to use OAT's. (Except maybe in the ~08+ that use that new super coolant, which might very well be OAT given the 10yr life).

The Napa here has both 50/50 and concentrate G-05. I bought some of the concentrate about 3 weeks ago, they had about 6 of them in stock.

The best place to find GO-5 concentrate is still the Ford dealer (Premium Gold)-last I checked, could still get full strength for around $12/gallon. The only problem w/Asian Formula-still only available (AFAIK) in 50/50 strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back