Your favorite jobber oil filters?

FRAM drive, extra guard and SuperTech ST and MP series. Normally use them as engine flush filters not sure if these classify as jobbers but are the most elcheapos with decent micron ratings.

I can't think of a time when I have ever used a jobber type filter. I've removed a few of them off cars that I have bought, but they have always been replaced with at least a mid grade Fram, or better.

I agree with those who ask the question of why, when a decent filter can be had for a reasonable price, would anyone who is doing their own car maintenance use a jobber? Isn't that at least partly why we do our own oil changes, so it can be done right?
I've been using jobber filters for the 35 years I've been driving, and I generally keep my cars for a dozen or more years, and 200k+ miles. I get rid of them when the rest of the car is rusting away around a perfectly fine engine. So I ask the question... How is using a jobber filter wrong?

OK but after 30 posts, I still don't get where the term comes from or how it came to be. Jobber, someone that does many jobs?
Yep , it's not limited to the automotive industry . I've seen " Jobber " drill bits .
Yes, any product that is made for and distributed to places like quick lube businesses, etc. and used to conduct their business is a "jobber" product.

1713811064698.jpg

OK but after 30 posts, I still don't get where the term comes from or how it came to be. Jobber, someone that does many jobs?
The term jobber actually came from professional wrestling. In wrestling, the guy that wins, well, he wins. The guy that loses is known as the one who 'did the job' - and since there is only room in an organization (formerly known as a territory) for a few guys to be on top (wrestling for big championships, main eventers, etc....) and a little room for people to be mid-carders (still good wrestlers, wrestling for secondary or lower championships, interchangeable with top-card guys) and low-carders (guys who never or rarely win, but are still adept enough to put on a good match without hurting themselves or their opponent) and many low-card (or even unadvertised (not on the card) guys were known as jobbers. As an example, in about 1975 a guy named Harley Race was big in the NWA. The NWA included quite a few territories, but there was only ever one NWA champion. The NWA champ would travel to various territories and feud or have a big match with various top-card wrestlers (typically the champ of that territory, but not always), but TYPICALLY the NWA champ would win - so even a guy like Jerry Lawler (major star in the Memphis territory) would do a job (lose) to Harley.

So a jobber would be a guy like Mr. Boring - at small shows that didn't get a lot of attention, Harley might beat me up for 2-3 minutes and pin me without me ever really getting any offense in. Jobbers were smaller, weaker, had no personality.

Jobbers let the heels (term for 'bad guys' in wrestling) just toss them around often in 'squash matches' so the big bad heel would look extra dominant. If a jobber faced a babyface (term for a good guy, fan favorite) the jobber still lost but the babyface might let the jobber get a few licks in. Jobbers weren't good enough to draw any money (sell tickets or get people to buy their t-shirts), but they were needed so that Mr. Big (Fram Ultra) wasn't always wrestling Mr. Large (WIX premium).

I'll ask my indy what he pays for the Service Pro (both standard & XL) filters-by the case, I bet they're not much. He actually dropped NAPA jobber filters for them (& the Service Pro & NAPA Proformer ones are both Premium Guard anyway).

Back