Your Dinner Tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Falls, NJ you say?

Wow..i spent 1 year there during my heydays. Never heard anyone else mention that town till now.

Tonight it was chicken and vegetables cooked in a garlic infused olive oil. Chicken breast, green and red peppers, a little finely chopped onion, green beans and a couple turns of the pepper grinder. I usually add some asparagus but I didn't have any. It's simple enough that just about any vegetable can be used; we've also made it with turkey breast or lean pork instead of chicken.

Simple, quick, very healthy, inexpensive and low calorie. The food cost was less than $8.00, and it will easily serve 4. At about $2.00/serving it can't be beat, and it reheats very nicely for lunch the next day.

We also had a slice of home made wheat bread with raspberry preserves (from our own raspberry bushes).

Best of all cleanup is simple, especially since it's done in cast iron.

Medley.jpg

That's pretty much how we eat in our place.

1 lb of chicken $8, pork $10, Lamb $8, beef $11
Bell pepper $4/lb
Green Beans $6/lb
Brown Onion $1/lb

then garlic, ginger, soy, turmeric, peanut butter, curry, sweet chilli, etc. in a mix or other, coconut cream as appropriate for the flavour.

Makes a dinner for 4, and 1-2 lunches.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
That's pretty much how we eat in our place.

1 lb of chicken $8, pork $10, Lamb $8, beef $11
Bell pepper $4/lb
Green Beans $6/lb
Brown Onion $1/lb

Your market is robbing you blind sir. Those meat prices are RIDIC!!!

Aren't median wages a bit higher in Australia Shannow? It's hard to compare nominal prices between differing countries with differing inflation and currency rates.

That's true Drew, but it extends further.

A G-8 Pontiac, sold here was $70k, and wasn't it around 40 in the states ?

Built here, and shipped over for less...

When I was in Ca, my fave beer I bought a 6 pack for $18 the day before we flew out, and one in Guyserville Ca for $10, $9.40 with the empties return...A bottle of Aussie wine that's $14 here was less than $5 in Guyserville.

I can get the costs of production here meaning things made here are more expensive, but things made here and exported (obviously at a cost) costing way less has my head spinning.

Last night had Mexican Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Broccoli..Had Belgium Chocolate Cheescake Cake for dessert..Everything was awesome..That was at Nexxt Cafe in Miami Beach.

Spaghetti with red sauce and bit of italian sausage mixed in.

Hint: mix some Giardiniera's mild into the red sauce at the table (not during the cooking stage). Amazing flavor combo!

Had Cuban Skirt Steak tonight..It was awesome..That was at David's Cafe on Collins Ave in Miami Beach.

I generally get Argentinean Skirt Steak somewhere else in the area but this was a million times better.

I didn't feel like cooking anything for dinner tonight - but I have a large courgette to use up....caught it a couple of days before it turned into a marrow. It'd take 2 or 3 meals to use that up, so did something I used to do years ago. Cut it up into slices, flour both sides and fry in a pan. I can eat a whole large courgette in one sitting like that.

The plant is pumping one out every day now...I just wish I could time it to when the tomatoes come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back