You Think You Know Theory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't really use the III chords unless you're in a minor key.

In A the IIIm is one of the six basic chords you use, and the chord is C#m. The III chord is Db.

In C the IIIm is Em, the III (which you really won't use unless you're going to be in Am, is E.

I think you should get one thing down before you worry about other stuf, and PLEASE, don't be one of those dorks who hangs out in Guitar Center on the weekends playing the same stupid riffs and scales as everyone else at ridiculous volumes.
Work on chord progressions and different positions to play out of and work basic scales and just have fun.
Now might be a good time to go do that. Get off BITOG and go play.

Key I IIm IIIm IV V VIm bIII bVII

C (Am) C Dm Em F G Am Eb Bb
Db(Bbm Db Ebm Fm Gb Ab Bbm Fb Cb
D (Bbm) D Em F#m G A Bm F C
Eb(Cm) Eb Fm Gm Ab Bb Cm Gb Dd
E (C#m) E F#m G#m A B C#m G D
F (Dm) F Gm Am Bb C Dm Ab Eb

....continue up to Key of B the same way.

well i have a building in my back yard that is soundproofed so i usually do stuff during the day then i come back and play till about 3 in the morning and get on the computer because ive got guitar rig on here. and i hardly ever go to guitar center. im more of a local shop guy. guitarcenter is good on prices but the local shops have the atmosphere. but when you have your majors (2,3,6,7) and you sharp them you get augmented, flat them and you get minor, flat a minor then get a diminished, then with the perfects (1,4,5,8) sharp them get augmented and flat them and get diminished. and say if you have A, (A,C#, and E) then you flat the 3rd and get Am, What do you do to the 3rd to get a flat, such as Bb?

A minor chord has a minor third above the root note.
To get a diminished chord, you take a minor chord and lower the fifth.

What are you talking about when you say 1,4,5,8? What is the 8? There are only 7...VII.

Nope, I should get my bike out and take it and myself to St. Eddie's.
Then later, go running in the woods, then still later head for kenpo class.
Wonder how many of the three will happen?

There are almost as many music theories than there are evolution theories.
Settle on types that appeal to you, and dive in specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back