Yea or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went to the local Texaco lube to get my state inspection sticker and nothing else. The manager and I were talking and in short he proclaimed that the 20 weight oils were too thin for my 2004 Accord 2.4l. I called horsedookey and told him he was totally incorrect, yada yada. He backed off when he realized I knew more than he suspected and he couldn't bluff or intimidate me.

This self appointed "oil guru"....yes, he really said that, told me that Ford had changed their vehicles back to 30 weight oils from 20 weight for 2008 due to oil related engine failures! Now that I have not heard before. Can anyone confirm or deny it? I think it's bullpuckey but it still made me curious enough to bring it before the court.

Hmm ..well one would reason that between 2002 and now, Ford would have figured it out long before the 2008 model year. If there were any engine failures, I'd venture that many of them happened without 5w-20 even being used. Many here don't even use 5w-20 in specified engines ..and the rolling public probably doesn't know one way or the other what's in their engines.

Oh, I figured he was trying to trump me but he was so adamant about it that it piqued my curiosity. I don't use quick lube places but if it turns out this guy is blowing smoke (which I suspect) I won't even go there for annual inspections.

Originally Posted By: PT1
My daughters 02 CRV runs fine on PP 5w20. It has had 5w20 for the past 78,000 miles. No issues.

That's really nice but the question is has Ford changed oil specs for 2008 models?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Originally Posted By: PT1
My daughters 02 CRV runs fine on PP 5w20. It has had 5w20 for the past 78,000 miles. No issues.

That's really nice but the question is has Ford changed oil specs for 2008 models?

What is a Ford?

Can anyone confirm or deny it? I think it's bullpuckey but it still made me curious enough to bring it before the court.

You think correctly per the page 258 of the online 2008 Fusion Owner's Guide (PDF file).

Originally Posted By: benjamming
You think correctly per the page 258 of the online 2008 Fusion Owner's Guide (PDF file).

I'm still not sure I've ever seen that starburst on a quart of oil before it went in. Also be sure to use the MC equivalent oil filter or you may get startup noise! Oh no!

Last edited:
I agree with you on the 4 cylinder, but the 6 cyl really benefits from a 30 weight because of the fuel dilution problems. I don't think his 30 weight recommendation is a bad thing as a general recommendation.

Don't know about the Ford issue.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Can anyone confirm or deny it? I think it's bullpuckey but it still made me curious enough to bring it before the court.

OKay, it's too small for me. What does it say? 20 or 30?

Originally Posted By: Tones
I agree with you on the 4 cylinder, but the 6 cyl really benefits from a 30 weight because of the fuel dilution problems. I don't think his 30 weight recommendation is a bad thing as a general recommendation.

Don't know about the Ford issue.

For my four cylinder Honda his recommendation was X W 40 weight!!!! I think I have discovered a Mensa reject(read, grade school reject) but I want some factual information about the '08 Ford issue.

Last edited:
ford engine failure's? that's kinda there style these days but i don't think it's the oil's fault. ford has done more to hurt themselves than gm or toyota or anyone else ever thought of. sorry for the rant, i've too many bad experience's.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Using Amsoil 0W-20 in my Honda powered 3.5L VUE which calls for 5w-20 with no ill effects. Mine is a 2006 model.

Ah, more direct answers to the question, thank you.

Originally Posted By: kokopelli
lol. use the "zoom" feature on the PDF reader.

MASSIVE DUH on my part, thanks for the head slap. I forgot all about it. 5W20 it is for that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back