XDS or M&P Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point of the video (though I don't necessarily agree with it) is that a paddle holster, probably of any construction, can be wiggled out of one's pants relatively easily. I don't think anything on the holster broke, but the person from behind was able to wiggle it off the inside of the waist line and effectively steal the gun because the holster wasn't physically tethered to the person's clothes.

I think the video is a little overly-simplistic and not entirely realistic, but I suppose it could happen. It is true that a holster secured with loops around a belt would be much harder to steal. But then, your gun is always subject to theft unless effective retention is used in the holster (button, thumb break, etc). You could very easily have your gun stolen from a leather belt-looped holster if there is no retention and you're not paying attention.

The aspect of the video with which I DO agree is you'll most probably never be in that situation if you're carrying concealed (vs. open carry). One of the reasons I do prefer to carry concealed is my gun is not a target of theft because nobody knows it's there but me. But...that's probably a topic for a different thread.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think the point of the video (though I don't necessarily agree with it) is that a paddle holster, probably of any construction, can be wiggled out of one's pants relatively easily. I don't think anything on the holster broke, but the person from behind was able to wiggle it off the inside of the waist line and effectively steal the gun because the holster wasn't physically tethered to the person's clothes.

I think the video is a little overly-simplistic and not entirely realistic, but I suppose it could happen. It is true that a holster secured with loops around a belt would be much harder to steal. But then, your gun is always subject to theft unless effective retention is used in the holster (button, thumb break, etc). You could very easily have your gun stolen from a leather belt-looped holster if there is no retention and you're not paying attention.

The aspect of the video with which I DO agree is you'll most probably never be in that situation if you're carrying concealed (vs. open carry). One of the reasons I do prefer to carry concealed is my gun is not a target of theft because nobody knows it's there but me. But...that's probably a topic for a different thread.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but to me it clearly shows that the holster broke - accentuated by the crisp snapping sound in the video, and piece left inside his pants. I agree they could have done a much better job with the video, and given some verbal explanation and close up shots of the message they were trying to convey.

I see -- I must have clicked off the video too soon the first time I watched it. I must confess to pre-biasing myself before even watching it the first time. He doesn't give any details (like holster brand) and has disabled comments (so we can't ask him) because people "press an agenda". Ironic, since pressing an agenda is the purpose of his video. I didn't pay it any mind, but acknowledge that I clicked off too soon to see the broken paddle.

Tried both, own the XDS. However, the shield is one of the best platforms out there and it's just all about preference.

Going to strongly second the holster comments. Cheap paddle holsters break, if you don't believe me, take a FOF class. Why spend god knows how much on a firearm, ammo, range time, and whatever it costs in your state for a carry license, only to cheap out on the holster? Quality Kydex holsters aren't expensive anyways.

Every time I see that video I chuckle. I don't know what brand holster that is but I doubt it is a Fobus. Wouldn't it seem easier to grab the gun and simply pull it out of the holster since they have only a snap/friction retention anyway?
I know on my Fobus brands it would be much easier to simply come up behind me & pull the gun out than try to wrestle with it and snap the rivets. When I open carry it is always with a leather thumb break holster

If someone is can pull your pants off while you're carrying you aren't using the right belt. I'd highly recommend a kydex or steel reinforced belt. I have the Hanks kydex/leather

Originally Posted By: bradepb
Every time I see that video I chuckle. I don't know what brand holster that is but I doubt it is a Fobus. Wouldn't it seem easier to grab the gun and simply pull it out of the holster since they have only a snap/friction retention anyway?
I know on my Fobus brands it would be much easier to simply come up behind me & pull the gun out than try to wrestle with it and snap the rivets. When I open carry it is always with a leather thumb break holster

It is a Fobus, it's long been established, and the video has been around for quite some time. Many individuals on the gun forums have replicated these scenarios to show the lack of strength these holsters have.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
In that size pistol I highly recommend a Walther PPS over both the shield and the XDS. Nothing against either gun, however a Walther PPS M1 is just such a high quality firearm.

I own a Shield and am not a fanboy of it bc I like my 43 better. But the Shield is in no way lacking in quality or reliability. I don't think it take q backseat to any pistol.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
In that size pistol I highly recommend a Walther PPS over both the shield and the XDS. Nothing against either gun, however a Walther PPS M1 is just such a high quality firearm.

I own a Shield and am not a fanboy of it bc I like my 43 better. But the Shield is in no way lacking in quality or reliability. I don't think it take q backseat to any pistol.

I didn't mean to down play the shield. It is a fine pistol. My friend carries one in .40 and it is a great gun. Taking them both apart the PPS has a stouter slide rail system and smoother glass filled polymer. The shield is one of the best guns you can buy at ~$400, however when the M1 PPS dropped in price from ~$700 to ~$400 last year it was one of the absolute Best Buys in a long time. IMO of course.

Being a Shield owner, I agree that the Walther has a higher material and build quality...or it at least SEEMS to. The slide feels like it glides on ball bearings. The Shield is a bit cruder, a bit looser. It reminds me more of a Glock. It's intentionally designed to be able to tolerate dirt and debris, rough handling, etc. Not saying that the PPS can't, but pistols like the Glock and the M&P series seem to take that "looser is betterer" approach, and it works for them.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Being a Shield owner, I agree that the Walther has a higher material and build quality...or it at least SEEMS to. The slide feels like it glides on ball bearings. The Shield is a bit cruder, a bit looser. It reminds me more of a Glock. It's intentionally designed to be able to tolerate dirt and debris, rough handling, etc. Not saying that the PPS can't, but pistols like the Glock and the M&P series seem to take that "looser is betterer" approach, and it works for them.

I agree with this assessment. I have 2 primary carry guns a Glock 32 357sig and the PPS M1 in 9mm. I love and trust both guns with my life. With that said I'd trust a shield as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FFFEMT
My EDC is a Springfield XD sub compact 9mm. This ends up being a heavy gun to carry, especially in Arizona sun. I am looking at Springfield XDS 3.3 9mm, or S&W M&P Shield w/thumb safety in 9mm. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would surely appreciate your input. The LGS has these to rent, So I will be trying them out in the next couple of weeks.

Buy a local product.....Ruger LC9S.

First of all, I thank all of you for your responses. I didn't think that a forum on oil would generate the interest that it did. I pulled the trigger, I know, pun intended, and bought the XDs 9mm. Delivered price is $369.17. Also, Springfield has a promotion of 4 free mags, holster and mag carrier. It is the mags that I am interested in. This price was $49.00 more than the Shield. Should have by 2/17.
Thanks again everyone and I will report how the first round of shooting goes.

Wow 4 free magazines that's awesome. I just looked up the promotion as I was considering the glock 19 but with the free magazines I might look into the XD mod2 4 inch

They used to include the holster, speed loader, double mag pouch with the hard case and stopped doing that, so this is probably what they are doing to win back business after they stopped shipping with XD gear

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Wow 4 free magazines that's awesome. I just looked up the promotion as I was considering the glock 19 but with the free magazines I might look into the XD mod2 4 inch

They used to include the holster, speed loader, double mag pouch with the hard case and stopped doing that, so this is probably what they are doing to win back business after they stopped shipping with XD gear

Offer good through June 30, 2017.

The fact of the matter is, gun sales have slowed to a crawl since the election. People are no longer scared that guns, especially hi-cap semi autos, are in danger of being banned. At least for the next 4 to 8 years. So time, along with the rush to buy, is no longer a motivating factor in driving sales. I expect to see a lot more of these type of deals in the near future. Especially when you consider that a lot of manufacturers and distributors have stocked up on a lot of product they expected to unload at massive profits, had the election gone the other way. It didn't, and now they're stuck with warehouses full of goods they'll have to discount heavily in order to move.

If anything, this should teach the consumer just how profitable the gun and ammunition business has been for the last 8 years. They're not losing money on any of these "deals".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back