WWYD Toyota Battery Replacement

Have a 2 Yr old Sienna with the OEM Battery leaking. Still under warranty. I could maybe get a new Tru start from the dealer free or get an East Penn on my dime. WWYD? Will I be in the same boat again with the Toyota replacement battery? Is the dealer replacement different or better than the OEM?The battery tests good from my cheap non load tester at around 95% capacity. Have used Noco chargers here and there to keep it charged when needed.

If under warranty I’d have the dealer look at it. Usually (usually!) Toyota batteries seem pretty decent, so I’d think you’d have a decent shot at getting good life out of the replacement. If not… Walmart has cheap batteries. $100 every couple of years is not big money.

Where is it leaking? Around the battery post?

That’s the same thing the Toyota Johnson Controls (Clarios?) in the Corolla did-leaked mass quantities of acid out of the positive post, lots of corrosion underneath the battery protectant & plastic cover. Battery still tested good, but a new East Penn Proformer went in. Johnson Controls/Clarios batteries SUCK-wait until one takes off all the paint underneath & stains your driveway or garage floor, it happened to me. On a sub-2 year old $150+ AAP Gold, no less…

Leaking down around the hold down. I can get an East Penn at Sam’s for $130. Just don’t want to repeat it if this is common on replacements from whoever supplies Toyotas Batteries. Might by Clarios?

These days, I only buy batteries from Batteries and Bulbs. They are Duracell/East Penn. I replaced mine two years ago, and I noticed two months ago that it was leaking around the post. I called them, it was under warranty (which I knew), and they didn't bat an eye and gave me a brand new one. So now I'll have a total of 6 years of peace of mind (I change mine every 4 years regardless) for the price of 4. High quality products and service.

These days, I only buy batteries from Batteries and Bulbs. They are Duracell/East Penn. I replaced mine two years ago, and I noticed two months ago that it was leaking around the post. I called them, it was under warranty (which I knew), and they didn't bat an eye and gave me a brand new one. So now I'll have a total of 6 years of peace of mind (I change mine every 4 years regardless) for the price of 4. High quality products and service.
Check out Family Farm & Home in Harrison-their Dekas will save you some $ (unless you use a Groupon to buy a Sam’s Club membership & wait for a battery sale!).

Around the holddown? Was it over tightened or is the clamp malformed somehow? I’d look at that first, otherwise it might be a repeat performance. Alternatively, might it be coming out of vents, due to overcharging? [I doubt it’s that, but might as well ask.]

That’s the same thing the Toyota Johnson Controls (Clarios?) in the Corolla did-leaked mass quantities of acid out of the positive post, lots of corrosion underneath the battery protectant & plastic cover. Battery still tested good, but a new East Penn Proformer went in. Johnson Controls/Clarios batteries SUCK-wait until one takes off all the paint underneath & stains your driveway or garage floor, it happened to me. On a sub-2 year old $150+ AAP Gold, no less…
That is my concern is corrosion of other parts. I had a previous Tru start that did similar, but it was a used vehicle and could have been neglected by previous owner. This one has not been neglected. I wasn’t sure how clarios is compared to JCI.

Around the holddown? Was it over tightened or is the clamp malformed somehow? I’d look at that first, otherwise it might be a repeat performance. Alternatively, might it be coming out of vents, due to overcharging? [I doubt it’s that, but might as well ask.]
Don’t know if it’s overtightened. It was done from the factory.

The dealer said it might be replaced under the 3/36 warranty. Couldn’t get in to them yet.
“Might”?
It absolutely should be a warranty replacement. Also, like others have said, have them document what caused the leak and have the area exposed to that leak inspected for additional damage.
Curious as to what caused that failure……so “Un-Toyota“ like.
✋😎🤚

Have a 2 Yr old Sienna with the OEM Battery leaking. Still under warranty. I could maybe get a new Tru start from the dealer free or get an East Penn on my dime. WWYD? Will I be in the same boat again with the Toyota replacement battery? Is the dealer replacement different or better than the OEM?The battery tests good from my cheap non load tester at around 95% capacity. Have used Noco chargers here and there to keep it charged when needed.
The Toyota-dealer-installed battery on my highlander was several years old when I bought it, which is remarkable for the desert that I live in (3 years is my personal average). If it wasn't on my dime, I'd go for the OEM in a heartbeat.

Back