Wrist Watches again?

Watches and I didn't agree from mid teens to early 20s.

So I never wore them since.

Except the times I tried to see if we were friends again, and we weren't.

I'm accurate to 5 minutes normally...

Last edited:
remember the Ford commercial where they strapped the Timex on the bumper of a ford that they then ran thru mud, rocks etc. Ended with them looking at the bumper and exclaiming, that is one tough truck!

I've got a couple of Orient Makos that I typically wear when going out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also have an older Seiko5 but it needs a tune-up:

[Linked Image]

If I go somewhere where I know there is a chance of the watch incurring some damage, I wear this cheap $15 Casio:

[Linked Image]

I have almost always wore watches everyday for most my life . I have about a dozen watches nothing expensive in the least. If a watch breaks down I just toss it.I will replace a battery first though. But here is what I meant to post. If by chance I do leave home without a watch I keep catching myself looking at a bare wrist all the time.

Guess you want to talk about things of beauty and not cheap digital crap, but I just pay ten bucks for a Casio F91W-- last I read it was the official watch of AlQaeda and I was a bit concerned fifteen years ago when wearing it in airports. Tells me the time without pulling out my phone. Gains no time, loses no time. When the band snaps or the battery dies I order another from Amazon and go about my business. My life in old age has come down to this.

Originally Posted by csandste
Guess you want to talk about things of beauty and not cheap digital crap, but I just pay ten bucks for a Casio F91W-- last I read it was the official watch of AlQaeda and I was a bit concerned fifteen years ago when wearing it in airports. Tells me the time without pulling out my phone. Gains no time, loses no time. When the band snaps or the battery dies I order another from Amazon and go about my business. My life in old age has come down to this.

I am wearing this exact watch as I type. $10, tells the time/date has a stop watch and alarm. It delivers all that I ask of it with precision in a very retro package.

Casio F91W ... FTW.

05.gif

I do have a Guess Waterpro stainless steel that is 15 years old...it gets worn when I dress up.

Last edited:
Who needs a wrist watch? I have a cell phone the time is self correcting and always correct. Sets itself for daylight savings time without me even thinking about it.

When I was a kid I always loved those gold plated digital watches from the 70s that had the red LED readout. You would push the button on the side and the time would light up.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Who needs a wrist watch? I have a cell phone the time is self correcting and always correct. Sets itself for daylight savings time without me even thinking about it.

I prefer to take a quick glance at my wrist instead of having to pull out the phone from my pocket.

Other than that, it's just male jewelry.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

I prefer to take a quick glance at my wrist instead of having to pull out the phone from my pocket.

Other than that, it's just male jewelry.

True that's what it is. I haven't worn a watch since I retired in September of 2006.

Just the convenience of looking at my wrist rather than pulling out the phone is worth $10-- if it lasts four years that's $2.50 a year or less than a penny a day. Risk of pulling out your phone and breaking it probably greater cost than my Casio. I've thought about smart watches from time to time but spending more just to duplicate functions that are in my pocket are not worth it. Neither is jewelry.

I have two TAG Heuer watches- one is three years old and one is thirty three years old. Both were gifts from my wife. One was a wedding present, the other to celebrate our thirtieth anniversary.
She's definitely a keeper.

I have a nice Citizen eco drive watch, but I can't see wearing it when this rectangular shaped thing I always have with me has a clock on it...oh yeah, it's a cell phone...

My most worn watch is a Seiko dive watch (SBDC051), I've come to the conclusion that I like dive watches for their practicality, timing with the bezel, and no worries of water intrusion. I'm thinking that an ideal daily wear watch, especially for traveling, could be a diver-style watch with a 4th GMT hand, which may be my next watch. I'd also prefer it without the date, but that's much harder to come by, although I have a few older no-date KS watches for dressier occasions.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
remember the Ford commercial where they strapped the Timex on the bumper of a ford that they then ran thru mud, rocks etc. Ended with them looking at the bumper and exclaiming, that is one tough truck!

Remembering John Cameron Swayze and the hydroplane boat on the water taking the Timex of a rough ride
Originally Posted by csandste

I didn't mean to limit the conversation. We can talk about any watch you'd like. It's open to anything.

I've worn a wrist watch since 1990 when I got a job as a Corps of Engineers Park Ranger. I had to document time, date, etc. in military time so I bought a Timex, not sure but it may have been an Expedition or one like it. I have had many like it over the yrs and prefer the display. I just bought another Expedition since it was getting old and I ruined it pulling an oil sample from my 94 Ford Ranger last week. Soaked it in old oil...it quite working when I tried cleaning it.

The watch means I no longer have to take my phone out of my pocket to make and receive calls, answer texts, check what the weather is outside, get notified when SpaceX are launching a rocket, or see what Trump is twitting about today.

Even the cheapest watch seems to last longer than an expensive cell phone.
wink.gif
My Citizen Eco-Drive has lasted close to ten years, has a perpetual calendar, and we don't do time switching in Saskatchewan. I don't have a cell phone, which also is a reason to have a watch, I suppose.

Back