Status
Not open for further replies.
my toyota highlander
rock auto
pronto $3 something whats a pronto
denso (OEM) $8 something
Wix (maybe made in North Carolina) $12 something
whats the best choice?

the $8 and 12 prices make you wonder about price compared to furnace filters well made 20x30 with metal mesh backing $3 at ace hardware

Hello,
1) Years ago I saw single sheets of porous paper which had been pressed with zig-zag forms to create "pollen filters" by TYC. Absolute trash at a full price.
I'm certain the rip-off artists selling them were testing the "waters".

2) Without empirical data you'll never know what you're buying or what a fair price is.

3) I buy WIX and MANN cabin filters. Home ventilation system filters don't seem anywhere near as capable.
I have no way to back that up. Kira

With their air filters though, the Wix is much more likely to be made in Poland.

I'd go with Denso.

If your cabin filter is easy to change I would go with furnace filter in size 20x30, cut it to appropriate size and change it once a year. The 20x30 furnace filter can be cut to correct size for more than 6-10 cabin filters.

Hello, I'd thought of that too.
I was just trying to equate the "micron rating" of a real cabin air filter vs. the "cat hair and corn flake rating" of a furnace filter.

Upon doing more technical research:
Cabin air filters use the "APNFG" (Automotive Pine Needle, Feather and Grime) standard
Furnace filters use the simpler "PH" (Pet Hair) standard. Kira

I had a Motorcraft cabin filter, then tried Wix, and decided to go cheap on my last with a TYC. I can't tell the difference, so I'll probably continue to go with TYC which is about half the price as the others. In San Diego mine needs to be changed about every 1.5-2 years.

I've run a $6 pronto from rock auto in my Audi before, under the filter inside the box is clean, no dust is making its way past the filter so IMO its doing its job and the fitment is pretty good.

Reading the descriptions of the cabin filters for my CTS on RockAuto I noticed the cheaper ones did not have the Charcoal in it. That helps with odors. I paid more for the charcoal version and it matches the specs for the OEM better. Just because it "fits" doesn't mean it is correct.

Pronto makes good filters I've used the cabin air and engine air filter in a rav 4 with no problems back side of filter is clean front is dirty looks good to me

Last edited:
I've been using Denso for our 2005 Toyota Avalon. I'm trying K&N for both our Av and 2014 Tacoma. If they both fail I'll go back to Denso for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back