Would you replace at 4/32nds ?

Good chance you might have a wobble, hop or balance problem after a new tire install - not something I would want to deal with rectifying right before a trip.

Always do what you feal comfortable with and overall safety is alway the primary concern!
That happened to me with my Pirelli P7's on my Accord. Sam's club used too much lubricant. Tires spun on the rim, I had the pictures to show a friend my rims/tires. One tire ended up 180 degrees out, the other 90 or 270 not sure but a 1/4 circle. Luckily they didn't need much weights to balance so not crazy vibration. It was enough to give a headache when trying to sleep alternating driving/sleeping/energy drinks on a 3 day, 2400 mile round trip.

'17 Accord, 6MT, 4cyl, had enough torque either starting or braking to cause that. Both my son and I were driving easy and in traffic for a while, then it was open road for a LONG time.

4/32" I'd probably run them depending wet performance. I had my son's car on 3-4/32" Michelin Premiers and we both were trying them for hydroplane and wet braking. They were still very good but aging out also. I took advantage of the Continental sale and double back with the Conti credit card. $220 off a set of 4, I feel much better that he has new full tread depth rubber as he drives around. Piece of mind is worth something.

Even if no full size spare but at least a donut, make sure it's full before trip. I have this harbor freight inflator in each car with a plug kit in the bag. Compressor has been used so many times, mostly helping others. No worry of not being charged etc. Last used about 2 weeks ago helping a late 60's woman trying to use a can of fix-a-flat with ruined sidewalls. Her donut spare had never been used or checked, totally flat. Filled the spare to 60, swapped the tire, away she went very grateful and wanting to pay my son and myself. Nope, good karma, drive safe.

That happened to me with my Pirelli P7's on my Accord. Sam's club used too much lubricant. Tires spun on the rim, I had the pictures to show a friend my rims/tires. One tire ended up 180 degrees out, the other 90 or 270 not sure but a 1/4 circle. Luckily they didn't need much weights to balance so not crazy vibration. It was enough to give a headache when trying to sleep alternating driving/sleeping/energy drinks on a 3 day, 2400 mile round trip.

'17 Accord, 6MT, 4cyl, had enough torque either starting or braking to cause that. Both my son and I were driving easy and in traffic for a while, then it was open road for a LONG time.

4/32" I'd probably run them depending wet performance. I had my son's car on 3-4/32" Michelin Premiers and we both were trying them for hydroplane and wet braking. They were still very good but aging out also. I took advantage of the Continental sale and double back with the Conti credit card. $220 off a set of 4, I feel much better that he has new full tread depth rubber as he drives around. Piece of mind is worth something.

Even if no full size spare but at least a donut, make sure it's full before trip. I have this harbor freight inflator in each car with a plug kit in the bag. Compressor has been used so many times, mostly helping others. No worry of not being charged etc. Last used about 2 weeks ago helping a late 60's woman trying to use a can of fix-a-flat with ruined sidewalls. Her donut spare had never been used or checked, totally flat. Filled the spare to 60, swapped the tire, away she went very grateful and wanting to pay my son and myself. Nope, good karma, drive safe.
Michelin at 4/32 is different than other tires at 4/32. That is where you realize why you paid all that money.

They are OEM Bridgestone Open Country. None of their characteristics make them great tires. We can disagree-some OEM tires are pure garbage-with one or two attributes that the manufacturer wants-and everything else doesn't matter.
Maybe.

All I know is that many of my OE tires have aged out, and none have given less than 50k mi except one.

Vehicles I’ve owned since new:

98 S-10 ZR2 BFG A/T radial - replaced by 10 yr age >60k
04 Saab 9-3 Pirelli P6 - replaced by 6 yr age out >60k
08 VW Rabbit Continental Touring - replaced by 6 yr age out >50k
14 Honda Odyssey Michelin primacy - replaced by 6yr age out >50k

My 2015 accord hybrid has 4/32 at 82k miles on the OE Michelin Energy Saver tires.

The only car I didn’t do that well on is my 2011 BMW 135i, which I swapped the OE Dunlop Run Flat tires around 20k and about 5 years, with over half tread on them. That was because of a sidewall bubble, and the fact that they were run flats and rode really hard.

Maybe it’s a Toyota thing? However, the Toyo A05 on my father’s 94 Previa, we changed out at about 105k with greater than 2/32 tread on them.

Maybe it’s a modern Toyota thing. So many folks want to swoon over Toyota, but I do know my brother changed the set of OE tires on his bought new 2019 or 20 RAV4 at very low mileage because of a bad bearing and intolerable noise from the OE tires.

So I guess it’s a recent Toyota thing. I’ve never experienced an issue worth talking about other than those RFT tires.

Reactions: CKN
Good chance you might have a wobble, hop or balance problem after a new tire install - not something I would want to deal with rectifying right before a trip.

Agreed! I try to avoid making any major changes immediately prior to a road trip

Tires are OEM-2 years old with 25,000 miles on them. Snipes are gone-edges are worn-even on the rear tires. I assume 4-wheel alignment out of spec. No traction on wet pavement.

I have replaced tires with 4/32 (sometimes more) depending on other factors like age and whether I'm noticing traction loss (or they were poor performers for a while and I was tired of them. Looking at you Dunlop Wintersport M3s). Is "no traction on wet pavement" a new development (hardened rubber) or just the characteristic of the OEM tires?

The weather conditions you describe are anything but challenging IMO. I would NOT hastily spend the $ on a set of new tires just for one road trip, and NOT fix the alignment issue which you suspect you have. You'll just be prematurely wearing the new tires for no good reason, and possibly setting in a wear pattern with negative effects (noise, cupping, whatever). Also, you would be discarding evidence which might get repairs/alignment covered under warranty depending on the cause.

If you're not going to asses the cause and fix the alignment before the same road trip, I would explicitly NOT replace the tires.

So in early June we have a trip planned from the Salt Lake area to Los Angeles. Probably 1,700 miles round trip in my wife's Highlander. The OEM tires are as stated at 4/32nds. Of course the trip would be on I-15 South which means miles of Nevada desert followed by miles of California desert. Possibly warm temperatures. Would you replace the tires before the trip?
Yes! For alot of tires thats close to the wear bars and iffy if you hit rain.

Accurate observation.......
Put on new tires when you get home. There’s nothing on that drive in June that’s gonna make a difference. I just did it in January with and 5/32nds remaining.

I put new tires on when I got home to California.

Michelin at 4/32 is different than other tires at 4/32. That is where you realize why you paid all that money.
I think you have a point.
My experience with Michelins is that they seem to work well over their entire tread life.
They remain in balance, don't develop structural problems and retain good grip.

If they are getting close to 6 years old I'd change now. Likely some good sales coming up around Memorial Day. Those hot desert roads can be the death of a tire.

I think you have a point.
My experience with Michelins is that they seem to work well over their entire tread life.
They remain in balance, don't develop structural problems and retain good grip.
I had PSS and went through rain storm when they were 3/32. They behaved better then some tires I had with 7-8/32 when it comes to hydroplaning. They never lost performance when it comes to wet handling and braking.

Change them look at the hi way driving your going to be doing. One hydro plane in a rain storm, one emergency stop is it worth waiting?
You can kind of make the same arguments for replacing the tires at 6-7/32. They won't work as well to prevent hydroplaning as tires at 10/32.
Or I found once I put on UHP summer tires(ones that crack at -7C) with good grip in the rain and on dry pavement, "touring" level all season tires like michelin defenders are really not nearly as good in the wet or dry... Enough to matter? who knows? Odds are low, but not zero.
If you are really serious about always having the best tire on for the conditions, you should really have 3 sets of tires, a UHP summer set, all seasons for spring and fall, and a dedicated winter tire, and then replace them often.
I've found so far if I look ahead and adjust my speed to what I think is safe for the conditions and my vehicle capabilities, I don't have to do too many self inflicted emergency maneuvers. IMO the driver identifying, and not carrying too much speed, into potentially bad conditions or situations is by far the biggest factor in your safety. Vehicle/tire performance is important, but professional drivers do lots of miles in vehicles with double the stopping distance of car and don't have nearly as many accidents per mile as the public.

Last edited:
This video might be of interest to a few here. This explains how some Michelin tires maintain good wet traction as the tire wears down.
I assume Michelin has patents on this that will expire eventually if not already.

@CKN, what did you decide?
Haven't decided yet. I can believe the price of tires. It's at least $160.00 for a Nexen Type Tire (235/65/18V or can go "H"). OR-after that they are basically $200.00 and up. Paramount factors are road noise and must be half way decent in slush conditions. The Highlander is AWD.

Back