Would you change your oil every 200kms?

Total overkill obviously, but many defending taking the owners money because “that’s what the manual says”. Amusing.

manual likely states under severe service 6 months !
But still overkill in this case that oil looks like it's coming right from the bottle.

400kms a year - I’d change it every two years, even if it lives outside in a cold climate with a lot of starts.

A bit shameful they’re happy to take her money…

Think that oil MIGHT be able to make it a year! If I was changing that, it would be caught in a clean container & put in something of mine! Recycling!
Yeah - they should recommend a year - likely not spending enough time at OT to remove moisture …

Yeah - they should recommend a year - likely not spending enough time at OT to remove moisture …
But you’re going to get bugger all moisture in it in what’s a glorified parked up situation.

Context is missing. He mentions old lady. It is likely the customer who wants it changed, not the shop sending her a reminder to bring it in.

Assuming the manual says 6 months/5,000 miles or similar, it looks like the owner is following the manual. This vehicle is likely short tripped which qualifies as severe service. Interesting how many people say "follow the manual," yet when someone follows the manual we say to do something different lol.

Doesn't say what vehicle or if its under warranty. If it is under warranty and it says every 6 months - if she didn't and has an issue the dealer would no doubt reject her claim.

Everything requires context.

Back