Would this concern you? (Bypass leaf spring forming)

Seem to recall in the bubble point testing it was only the “better” Wix style bypass valves that leaked air ? You recall ?
Here's the video ... it jumps to the Wix XP bubble point test. "Better Wix style bypass" ... is there more than one style? I think it's a metal on metal seal.

He actuated it and re-seated it seems, and it then took a bit more air pressure to leak, but still leaked. It could be a leaky bypass valve is part of the reason the Wix XP efficiency isn't too great.

Serious question. Not trolling Amsoil or anything like that as I believe that is a Champ made filter. I also use Amsoil. I myself wouldn't be happy but a little unfiltered oil goes through bypass on most startups if I am not mistaken. So I would still use it. Still not pleased with the quality however. Then again, under pressure, perhaps the leaf spring seals completely. Thoughts?

He posted the Walmart super tech today and it allowed light through as well.
Assuming they are testing their filters legitimately to advertise the efficiency they do, I wouldn’t worry about it. The overwhelming majority of flow is going through the media. If it filters as efficiently as claimed, then it filters as efficiently as claimed.
Champion labs would be subjecting themselves to law suits from competitors who can and most surely do test the their competitions products.
Do companies find ways to beat testing in order to say their products are better than they really are? Hell yeah! Anyone would be naive to believe otherwise. I have no doubt they all do it but they better be able to reproduce the results.
Just like fuel economy claims. Auto manufacturers find ways to claim better fuel economy than we usually ever see.
If a guy changes his oil regularly and slaps a new filter on as often it ain’t gonna really matter much what oil or filter he uses so long as it meets specifications. Even the old tearing purolators did the job sufficiently enough.
That being said, it’s really dosent make a lot of sense to waste money on “premium “ oil filters like the subject filter.

Last edited:
Do companies find ways to beat testing in order to say their products are better than they really are? Hell yeah! Anyone would be naive to believe otherwise. I have no doubt they all do it but they better be able to reproduce the results.
If they claim an efficiency based on any kind of test standard, like ISO 4548-12, then they would have to abide by the procedure and within any wiggle room the test procedure gives. I don't think there is much wiggle room in the ISO 4548-12 efficiency test spec.

He posted the Walmart super tech today and it allowed light through as well.
Assuming they are testing their filters legitimately to advertise the efficiency they do, I wouldn’t worry about it. The overwhelming majority of flow is going through the media. If it filters as efficiently as claimed, then it filters as efficiently as claimed.
Champion labs would be subjecting themselves to law suits from competitors who can and most surely do test the their competitions products.
Just like fuel economy claims. Auto manufacturers find ways to claim better fuel economy than we usually ever see.
If a guy changes his oil regularly and slaps a new filter on as often it ain’t gonna really matter much what oil or filter he uses so long as it meets specifications. Even the old tearing purolators did the job sufficiently enough.
That being said, it’s really dosent make a lot of sense to waste money on “premium “ oil filters like the subject filter.
The only way to "cheat" on efficiency is to only test the efficiency on a huge filter, like Purolator will claim 99% at 25microns on the Boss but that only counts on the PBL30001 which is pretty huge with a ton of media, as you scale down the amount of media you increase the flow rate per unit of area and each halving of media area means there will be twice the velocity and around 4 times as much force applied to the media which can force more particles through so the PBL30001 may be 99% efficent at 25 microns but when you get down to a more reasonable sized filter for a modern car the particle size for BETA 100(99%) is around 40-46 microns. Fram usually does the average of 3 different sizes of filters for their stated efficiency, I don't know about others.

The only way to "cheat" on efficiency is to only test the efficiency on a huge filter, like Purolator will claim 99% at 25microns on the Boss but that only counts on the PBL30001 which is pretty huge with a ton of media ...
I'm wondering if the efficiency claim shown on Purolator's website is left-over old information since the recent specification sheets from M+H show the Boss PBL30001 to be 99% @> 46u, which isn't anywhere close to 99% @ 25u. I'm wondering if the media has been changed after M+H took control of Purolator and they haven't updated their website. 🤷‍♂️

Also, the (c) after the efficiency um number means that it's based on the latest standard (which as been around for awhile now) for calibrating the particle counters used to measure efficiency, so that could be part of the discrepancy too.

Snip from the bottom of the website page:
1699469921172.png

1699469772359.png

Last edited:
Back