Would my Accord benefit from thicker oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 I4 Accord has developed a clacking sound, and I am wondering if, considering the 140K mileage, replacing the prescribed 5W20 oil with something thicker might help?

I know that it is not the vales, since they have just been adjusted. Timing chain is also tight.

As you can see here , the engine is also very clean.

The clacking seems to be there whether the engine is cold or warm.

Should I assume it is piston slap?

Should I try a thicker oil? If so, what viscosity? Dino or synth? high mileage oil?

I did have a bit of it before, but it seemed more pronounced with the Ultra that is in there now.

If you are really concerned about it have a reliable mechanic check it out . Trying a thicker oil is a stop gap solution at best and may mask a small issue that needs to be resolved before it turns into a big one .

Unlikely it's piston slap and it could be a simple as a serpentine belt noise .

Try MMO, fixes everything..
smirk.gif

My 2.4 in the CR-V makes a clacking sound that my Honda Tec says is the E Vap purge valve

Piston slap is more like a "bang bang bang". If what you are hearing is a light tick or clack, and adjusting the valves didn't cure it, i'd suspect something gas related.

My Mazda has pretty loud fuel injectors that clack away, and have been doing so for a couple of years with no other issues.

Originally Posted By: sr17

The piston slap I had on my accord (92 - 375K) was definitely more "tok-tok" than "tick-tick". Also under a load, leaving the line or generous throttle, and when cold. Once warm sounded more like a quiet diesel with a sewing machine on top. Ran like a champ otherwise with very little oil consumption and 35mpg.

If the sound started after the valves were "adjusted",then the valve adjustment created the tick. If the sound started after switching oils,then the oil is the revelation of the tick.

Originally Posted By: sr17
My 2005 I4 Accord has developed a clacking sound, and I am wondering if, considering the 140K mileage, replacing the prescribed 5W20 oil with something thicker might help?

I know that it is not the vales, since they have just been adjusted. Timing chain is also tight.

As you can see here , the engine is also very clean.

The clacking seems to be there whether the engine is cold or warm.

Should I try a thicker oil? If so, what viscosity? Dino or synth? high mileage oil?

I did have a bit of it before, but it seemed more pronounced with the Ultra that is in there now.

As stated by others:
The noise could have many possible sources.
Switching to a thicker oil could be looked on as a diagnostic procedure in this instance.
IMHO a 5W30 will do no harm. I would go with a High Mileage Dino in this case. You want a definite change in viscosity to ensure a result is obtained.
If a thicker oil affects the noise what will it tell you? Piston slap? bearings? definitely a lubricated part...yes.
If a thicker oil stops the noise...I would take that as a positive benefit.

Good Luck.

Rickey.

I asked about the "clacking" in my '04 Accord 4cyl here: bobistheoilgut

Someone else posted of a similar issue here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...625#Post2112625

Although opinions vary, it seems piston slap may be the cause. However, the "clacking" I hear is only after cold starting the engine when the ambient temp is 40f and below, and is only heard under load, not when idling. Typically the colder it is the louder the noise. The sound persists until the block is fully warm, approximately 9-12 minutes. Can you confirm that this is a sound you hear when the engine is warm? If so, does it sound the same warm or cold, or does it diminish when warm?

Some say this is typical of the 4 cylinder and nothing to worry about. Others are more cautious. It is annoying to me, but I have not noticed a loss in performance, fuel economy, or reliability because of this issue.

I've been using tcw3(pennzoil synthetic) in the gas as an upper cylinder lubricant for approximately 5 tankfuls and I can say with as much certainty as is subjectively allowed that the "clacking" is not as loud, although still present.

I have not as yet had a mechanic address the problem.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Definitely give a 30 weight a try. I'd use Castrol Syntec 0w30 or Mobil1 high mileage 5w30.

Also might be worth investing in a mechanics ear scope. Play doctor with your engine.

Your local auto part or tool store should have this:
alien probe your engine

I find that much engine noise can come from pumps, alternators, bad idler bearings/bushings, cracked exhaust manifolds, and anything that might be bouncing around loose

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Since it happen when the engine is cold or hot that rules out a thicker oil as a possible solution.

Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back