Would appreciate a few recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just acquired a 1999 Ford F250 with 96K miles on it. Motor runs strong!

Always had Dino in it. Want to change oil today....would you go to Mobil One 5W-20 or GC 0W-20 or Royal Purple 5W-20?

thanks

Last edited:
To be honest I have had just great expierence with M1 0-40 in the 2 valve motors. One of the if not the stoutest oil you can buy off the shelf. It truely works wonders in the older mod motors.

Welcome to BITOG, enjoy your new addiction

Last edited:
German Castrol 0w30, 5000 mile OCI. 147,000 here and counting on the same truck and engine. 1999's originally used 5w30, and I like it over the 20 weights for towing. Just my opinion. I've had little trouble with the truck. Just changed the original alternator and belt this summer, and put in it's third new battery. One small problem there. The idler for the belt bolts on to the front aluminum timing cover. The steel/aluminum interface caused major corrosion, and the mounting boss broke away from the front of the plate. You may want to check yours and put a little anti seize on that stud. I have it reassembled with a washer and sleeve, but that front timing cover will need replacing for me to be satisfied. Trans has been bulletproof, and I like Wolfs Head Universal. Super smooth shifts: butt feel says smoother than Mobil 1. I suggest a spark plug change to the new style plugs. Be super careful removing and replacing, but mine came out without problems. 6 ounces of MMO in every tank of fuel keeps the fuel sender working, or will fix a sluggish or stuck sender. Mine would take forever to indicate full, but after MMO, the gauge comes up while filling. Valvoline SynPower 85w140 in the rear end works very well. Again my opinion, but I think better than RP Max Gear. Good luck with the truck. If it's half as good as mine has been, you have a winner. Mine is only used to tow the travel trailer. 9000 pounds, with a e-qual-izer hitch. Moves right on down the road, and I get 10 mpg. Hard to beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chromedome

Always had Dino in it. Want to change oil today....would you go to Mobil One 5W-20 or GC 0W-20 or Royal Purple 5W-20?

GC is only in 0w30, so out of the other two choices I'd say M1 5w20.

I'm not sure if 5W-20 is the best oil to use in that engine even though Ford recommends it.
If it were my truck, I'd be very hesitant to use 5W-20. That's just one man's opinion though.

Yes I to feel these engines ejoy a little heavier oil. The M1 0-40 and GC are very similar in Weights if I remember correctly. The M-1 has a killer additive package. The only engines that really require 5-20 are 04 and newer. In my expierence i have had alot of burnoff with 5-20 oil. 5-30 and 0-40 I have had no burn off with 220k on the odometer. The internals look like a brand new engine.

Try the 0-40 you will not be disappointed. Motorcraft 820S Filter. The 0-40 is also SN rated. I have had NO Milage loss between a syn 5-30 and 0-40. Startups are butter smooth and the RPM range is smooth aswell

Thanks all.....now I am a little confused. The owners manual that came with the truck says 5W-20.

And I am in New Hampshire with winter fast approaching and we will see temps as low as minus 10F.

any further thoughts before I'm off to buy oil.

thanks to you all

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm not sure if 5W-20 is the best oil to use in that engine even though Ford recommends it.
If it were my truck, I'd be very hesitant to use 5W-20. That's just one man's opinion though.

What is "that engine?" OP didn't say.

The 0w40 will deal with the cold well. So will GC 0w30 and the New Mobil 1 5w30 (SN) very well also.

If you get scared of buying 0w40 at the auto store M1 5w30 will work fine.lol I mix them. Just changed the combo out yesterday, getting a UOA. Man it ran great.

Thanks all.....now I am a little confused. The owners manual that came with the truck says 5W-20.

I can understand you being confused, but 5W-20 is recommended by manufacturers mainly to get
their average fuel mileage up; not so much for long term engine protection. The fuel mileage is
increased because the thin oil is easier for the oil pump to move; putting less drag on the engine.

Merkava--thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

So, I'm leaning to Mobil 1 0W-40 now.
I'll be leaving in about a half hour to purchase oil.

Not much love here for Royal Purple...interesting...

Merkava--thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

So, I'm leaning to Mobil 1 0W-40 now.
I'll be leaving in about a half hour to purchase oil.

Not much love here for Royal Purple...interesting...

Not much love at all LOL keep us posted on your results. Im confident you will be very happy with the decision

M1 0-40 is a very good cleaner so it might be wise to run your 1st OCI to 5k and then go up from there. This oil has shown to have no problem on 8-10k OCIs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back