Woman fired after company uses keystroke technology to monitor her work from home

Dialing into meetings is the easy part of WFH.... then you don't need to be on the keyboard typing away, since you're supposed to be listening to the topics of the meeting.

If she dialed into all of her web meetings, then it would of justified the lack thereof keystrokes.... but missing important regulatory deadlines is never a good look on a person.

Speaking of meetings.... I have an all-day web meeting to dial into..... and don't have to wake up at 4am like I need to do with other calls due to time zone differences
Agree. That said, it doesn’t sound like that was her job. She was severely deficient on delivering various required documents, and when they looked at keystrokes, it was obvious across a large number of days that she had not been working.

One thing I started noticing in late summer and fall of 2020 and continues to this day -

A huge number of mid-20's, 30 and 40 year old males sitting at a restaurant bar at lunchtime during a weekday, having a meal and drinking 3-4 beers. Some appear to have "work clothes" on (as in cube farmer), most others look like they "work from home".

It's blown me away.

Another item for consideration is the number of DUIs has risen drastically during the daytime hours since mid-2020.

There is a correlation. So major employers are once again blind beyond belief if they are monitoring keystrokes. My points above are just another reason why companies need to demand people get back in the office.

Read the entire article.... They talked to the woman in question and even her quoted answers would make you believe her employer.

"I mean, I may go to the shops from time to time, but that is not for the entire day."
She said she was “confused and shocked” at the data, doubted its accuracy, and said she used other devices than her laptop to log in when she had “system issues.”

According to the FWC ruling, Cheikho attended one Microsoft Teams meeting with her manager regarding her performance with the word “F—k” written across her hand.

Granted, not every day at work involves typing on a computer so keystroke recording doesn't tell the whole story, but her employer considers it valid:
The review found she did not work her rostered hours for 44 days, started late on 47 days, finished early on 29 days, and performed zero hours of work on 4 days.

One thing I started noticing in late summer and fall of 2020 and continues to this day -

A huge number of mid-20's, 30 and 40 year old males sitting at a restaurant bar at lunchtime during a weekday, having a meal and drinking 3-4 beers. Some appear to have "work clothes" on (as in cube farmer), most others look like they "work from home".

It's blown me away.

Another item for consideration is the number of DUIs has risen drastically during the daytime hours since mid-2020.

There is a correlation. So major employers are once again blind beyond belief if they are monitoring keystrokes. My points above are just another reason why companies need to demand people get back in the office.
I think it has more to do with people being unhappy and depressed than it does "needing to get back in the office".

Sounds like she just didn't do her job, the WFH was simply a side note?

I haven't had a desk at the office in over 20 years albeit most of my time is spent on the road or at customers sites. Having said that, over those years Its become apparent to me that some people can work from home just fine, and some need the structure and supervision of an office.

My SIL has done medical related WFH for a decade or more. Big company, they monitor keystrokes and mouse movements and how many calls she took, etc. If she wants a break she needs to "sign out" and that is monitored also. She has never had an issue. In fact she now manages a team that does what she used to do - from home all of them.

Since the pandemic a lot of engineers I work with are still work from home - far less distractions. Its pretty easy to figure out if they got their deliverable done. If you have someone writing code - the last thing you want them to do is be in an office being bothered.

Every person and every company needs to figure out their process.

If you work from home, it is very likely that your computer has workforce management software installed to monitor your activity. It may or may not be disclosed to you, though. Always assume that you are monitored. Even if you work in the office...
*LOL* I said that to my wife just yesterday!!!!
WIth that said she has an incredible reputation in her company, works insanely hard at times and tough to get off work at times as only 2 people in her international company can cover for her vacations. (but other times *LOL* she has some free time)

Some here strongly support WFH in many ways, and sometimes, a few times they are a bit right (slackers are slackers)

As a retired guy I have seen it at the trailheads on weekdays. I talk to the folks. Get them relaxed, they will tell you.

WFH brought slacking to an all new level AND it introduced a bunch of scaredy kats to the slacking platform. We need to face the facts. WFH has increased the amount of loafing and loafers.

Some here strongly support WFH in many ways, and sometimes, a few times they are a bit right (slackers are slackers)

As a retired guy I have seen it at the trailheads on weekdays. I talk to the folks. Get them relaxed, they will tell you.

WFH brought slacking to an all new level AND it introduced a bunch of scaredy kats to the slacking platform. We need to face the facts. WFH has increased the amount of loafing and loafers.
I agree. However I have long contended 20% of the people in any organization do 80% of the work. WFH just helps you identify who is who - if you care to pay attention.

There is definitely more to the story here but employers have to have solid evidence these days to let someone know. They also have to warn employees if they are not meeting standards. So I suspect she knew she was on thin ice.

Usually if they have to bring up key stroke counts, hours presence, etc, you are already not performing and they are just trying to find evidence to prove it. If it is not keystroke counts or hours, it would be "lines of codes", meeting attends, etc. I wonder if her boss is also in trouble but they couldn't find evidence to prove it yet. Usually employees like this staying for so long means the management is also under performing.

The only keystrokes my employer will be seeing is A, S, W, D, spacebar, and left click.

Seriously though, it looks like she wasn't a very good employee:

"According to the FWC findings, Cheikho was fired on February 20 for missing deadlines and meetings, being absent and uncontactable, and failing to complete a task which caused the industry regulator to fine IAG."

"The review found she did not work her rostered hours for 44 days, started late on 47 days, finished early on 29 days, and performed zero hours of work on 4 days."

"She averaged 54 strokes per hour over the duration of her surveillance, which showed “she was not presenting for work and performing work as required.”

Maybe this was her "silent quitting". The title makes it sound like keystroke monitoring is bad, but if you had employees, you want to make sure they are busy.

On a positive note, WFH has indeed brought some really great hard working disabled people into the work place. I think this is a great option for replacing slackers!

"The number of people “with a disability” who were working in July jumped to 7.76 million, the highest in the data going back to 2008, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday as part of its employment report. This was up by 2.0 million, or by 35%, from just before the pandemic in January 2020!"

Last edited:

We only have one day a week optional WFH - yet most don’t do it …
A modern office with massive monitors and audio systems - plenty of meeting rooms of all sizes - lots of IT support staff there - lunch n learns (or recognition) - managers that are approachable and not afraid of decisions - hey, our guys don’t mind being together …

I think working from home is hard. Lots of distractions.
Depends on the home. And workplace. My coworker and I both think we get more done at home. The office can have people coming to my cube forming a line, each wanting time with me. Makes it hard for me to do something which may take hours of effort. I don't want to call my time in office "networking" but it is good for FTF work, and not for "dig in and turn&burn" work.

Could some have a real problem? sure. Going into hybrid I thought it was a good idea for me to go in on Mondays and set the tone for the week. Getting up early, getting out the door on time, being in an office setting--all have their value. Helps with flipping the switch and getting into the work mindset. All the same... if I'm going to spend the day in front of a computer, doing CAD work, of what gain was it to lose 2 hours to my commute or to bother getting out of my PJ's? When I was manager (and even before), when people would ask "I'm not feeling well, should I go in?" I'd always respond "I don't want what you've got!" They (and myself) might not be 100% productive on those days but sometimes just a few emails to help others keep moving on their projects is time well spent, along with whatever we can muster from the comfort of home. Toss in not driving in on snowdays and... it's wonderful.

In my experience for the employee that was in the office all week on a regular basis pre-2020, when any and all of the above came up the answer was to WFH.

Sorta like the beauty of companies offering unlimited sick or PTO, many employees end up not taking it.
I have unlimited sick and PTO. I was on vacation last week and played golf today. I'm also working tonight because I have work things to do. If there are no meetings, I'm on the golf course.

We have a tight team with clear individual responsibilities so it's apparent when someone isn't doing their job.

Back