Woman fired after company uses keystroke technology to monitor her work from home

I have unlimited sick and PTO. I was on vacation last week and played golf today. I'm also working tonight because I have work things to do. If there are no meetings, I'm on the golf course.

We have a tight team with clear individual responsibilities so it's apparent when someone isn't doing their job.

Sounds similar to my job, each person gets a piece of the puzzle so if something doesn’t get done we know who’s at fault.

Working from home is great if you can perform. My job can’t be done from home most of the time. There are times I need to catch up on admin stuff and reports and I do that from home. Long as I am productive and handle my tasks where I am doesn’t matter much. Each situation is different, and perhaps you get more errands done and save time on your commute wfh but you’re still productive.

I know there are plenty of people that waste hours at an office talking and joking. Not many people are working 8 hours straight without a break. So being at the office for many still has unproductive time. If the employee is wfh and finishes all of their tasks early, why not be able to go play golf? This of course is dependent upon salary vs hourly etc.

It’s all time management and performance. I know some people that work half their day at night once kids are in bed and half before based on the kids schedule. There’s no denying wfh flexibility with the right employee is a massive benefit to the company and the employee.

Shrug. There's good employees and bad employees whether in the office or WFH.

Comical story - ten or so years ago when I started at a company I heard a story from another newish coworker who was getting phone calls related to party/events planning. Turned out the person she replaced (who left on her own) was running her event planning personal business from her office line. Nobody noticed for however long it was going on and the former employee sat in a short walled cube with management 15 feet away.

Also - Pensions are those still around? ;)
Years ago I heard that a couple of people in the engineering department next to me had been day trading. Come to find out for quite a while. They eventually got the axe.

Years ago I heard that a couple of people in the engineering department next to me had been day trading. Come to find out for quite a while. They eventually got the axe.
I should be more careful--on our designated day in office, sometimes it feels like that is all we talk about. :ROFLMAO: Ok sometimes we talk about the company stock too, I guess that makes it ok.

I've worked a hybrid schedule of 2 days in the office and 3 days from home for several years now with a long stint of 100% work from home from 2020-2022. I think it has overall been great. Our team is made up of AML investigators from all over the country so we were able to get the best available candidates not just the best in our local market. Trustworthy employees who do the right thing regardless of where they are working from is the key. This lady doesn't appear to fit into that category.

Reactions: GON
Like a lot of other posts on this site, the comments are interesting.
I'm only commenting here because my wife is a computer programmer who works from home. She's worked from home since 1997.
At that time, there was no high speed internet (well, in this area anyway), and we had to have two phone lines. One was our regular land-line phone and the other was for her dial-up modem. Hey, 21.6 kbit/sec. was pretty fast back then! The language that she programs is MUMPS or shortened down to M. It's a pretty interesting language. She gets 4-5 Linkedin notices per week of companies wanting to hire her. MUMPS or "M" Sidenote: She was told 20 years ago that MUMPS was a dying language and younger programmers were discouraged from learning it. She tells me that the language will be around for at least 20+ more years.
To the comments that people get more work done in the office, that's not always the case. She now has no other women sitting next to her complaining about how their boyfriend/husband takes them for granted or nobody standing in the office cubicle doorway sipping on their coffee and bragging about how their weekend went...for 15 minutes.
She used to have to dress up every day, but now can wear whatever she wants. A couple times a year I hear how she's so glad she no longer has to wear panty hose.
My thoughts: Working from home is not for everyone and not everyone can be productive from home, as the OP has linked. But my wife's parent company no longer has to rent an office for her.

I'm only commenting here because my wife is a computer programmer who works from home. She's worked from home since 1997.
At that time, there was no high speed internet (well, in this area anyway), and we had to have two phone lines. One was our regular land-line phone and the other was for her dial-up modem. Hey, 21.6 kbit/sec. was pretty fast back then! The language that she programs is MUMPS or shortened down to M. It's a pretty interesting language. She gets 4-5 Linkedin notices per week of companies wanting to hire her. MUMPS or "M" Sidenote: She was told 20 years ago that MUMPS was a dying language and younger programmers were discouraged from learning it. She tells me that the language will be around for at least 20+ more years.
To the comments that people get more work done in the office, that's not always the case. She now has no other women sitting next to her complaining about how their boyfriend/husband takes them for granted or nobody standing in the office cubicle doorway sipping on their coffee and bragging about how their weekend went...for 15 minutes.
She used to have to dress up every day, but now can wear whatever she wants. A couple times a year I hear how she's so glad she no longer has to wear panty hose.
My thoughts: Working from home is not for everyone and not everyone can be productive from home, as the OP has linked. But my wife's parent company no longer has to rent an office for her.

Good points. The person I know that works from home doesn’t have to dress up either. As long as she is presentable from the shoulders up they are fine with it. She enjoys the work from home atmosphere because it eliminates about 60-90 minutes of commute each way.

Another plus for her is that she can work from anywhere. She works from a friends house out in a rural setting. She picked up a Starlink since the internet access was minimal and that enables her to work from wherever she wants.

Reactions: Pew
Typical, stuck in their ways folks.... There are absolutely many, many jobs that can be done 100% from anywhere. People "slack off" at the office too so that doesn't mean anything either. This is a people issue, not a job one.

The language that she programs is MUMPS or shortened down to M. It's a pretty interesting language. She gets 4-5 Linkedin notices per week of companies wanting to hire her. MUMPS or "M" Sidenote: She was told 20 years ago that MUMPS was a dying language
Never heard of it but Wikipedia says 40% of hospital systems use that language. It ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Sounds like she's got a guaranteed job for many, many years to come.

The real issue is the basic lack of performance:

On a personal note, it is clear my performance has declined markedly as I age and disease has taken a toll. I am angry with myself recently, as a job that a few "FAST" team guys did in 4 hours took me 22 hours to re-do. And come to find out, they did the job correctly. Then that's followed by a 2 hour job yesterday that took me 7AM to nearly 8PM. I can do the work, but I'm so slow it takes up all my time.

I'm a lot better driving the long trips, where I can simply smash my foot to the floor and go as fast as the F150 will allow.

It is odd to be the guy who is the "slow one" now. I was always the one who got things done. Sadly, my boss expects peak performance from me. What really happens, is that I try to get stuff done, and work too many hours for the task at hand.

Was just doing a preflight on our Pilatus, and had to sit down. I was so tired, it was either collapse on the floor or go back to the office.

On a personal note, it is clear my performance has declined markedly as I age and disease has taken a toll. I am angry with myself recently, as a job that a few "FAST" team guys did in 4 hours took me 22 hours to re-do. And come to find out, they did the job correctly. Then that's followed by a 2 hour job yesterday that took me 7AM to nearly 8PM. I can do the work, but I'm so slow it takes up all my time.

I'm a lot better driving the long trips, where I can simply smash my foot to the floor and go as fast as the F150 will allow.

It is odd to be the guy who is the "slow one" now. I was always the one who got things done. Sadly, my boss expects peak performance from me. What really happens, is that I try, and work too many hours.
Major difference though. You’re trying. From what we know of the other person, they werent.

You’re there doing something. Slow, fast, whatever. You’re donating your own time, that stinks. But you’re getting it done. This other person didn’t seem to be slow, they seemed to be nonexistent. It seems that the keystroke log wasn’t even so much oriented to the content typed, but the lack of keystrokes in general.

Unfortunately if you cant meet expectations, you may be demoted/let go, I guess. I’d hate to hear that to be the case, but per your comments it seems like the ability to keep up with expectations may be a challenge. But that’s a far cry from what has been explained about this other person. Of course the other person in the news article could have her own issues that weren’t properly disclosed… the internet makes it easy to judge…

Many companies went to the cubicle concept …
I am fortunate to have an office with a door - but it’s glass just like the walls are … This level of visibility might be somewhat related to the topic …

Unfortunately if you can meet expectations, you may be demoted/let go, I guess. I’d hate to hear that to be the case,
I need to retire, and if I were let go, I'd simply do so. I was just up on the ladder cleaning bugs off the Pilatus windshields. Only up 3 feet, but I'm not steady anymore. It is a good thing that driving and flying are so easy.

I need to retire, and if I were let go, I'd simply do so. I was just up on the ladder cleaning bugs off the Pilatus windshields. Only up 3 feet, but I'm not steady anymore. It is a good thing that driving and flying are so easy.
Here’s to hoping that your employer will allow you to work on things using your strengths, not some of the activities that become a liability.

A few things about WFH I can't fathom.

How can you call in sick from home?
Can't work today because you are snowed in.
Can't work today because your kidlets are off school.
Can't get to work today because your car is broken and can't hitch a ride.
Somebody is coming to repair your (fill in whatever appliance or plumbing issue).

Seems like most of the lame excuses for not going to work have evaporated.
European cos can answer that. My bro works for a swiss co. Unlimited sick. Work 1 day in office 4 at home. So people call in sick when they are supposed to go in, consecutive weeks. Then they add some more because then nobody can contact them about work. These aren’t young folks. 40-60. Sick 2+ mos a year. Usually Jan nobody is working.

Me were going back to 4 days in and we suspect 5 next year.

I’ll say it again. Look at all the remote workers shopping at Costco during the week on co time. It’s a bit disgusting.

Back