WM TLE still uses anti-seize on lug studs?!?!

I only rarely use anti seize on lugs but frequently use it elsewhere. Stainless fasteners into aluminum, etc.

People more knowledgeable than myself always told me to reduce target torque when using anti seize. I believe it is about 20 percent. Obviously that's more critical in some cases more than others. Maybe bearing stacks in some motorcycle wheels, etc. Others may specify oiled fastener install and provide a torque target allowing for that.

On every used car I buy I remove and retorque every lug on the car, so I have no surprises when I get a flat on the road.

On one car, all lugs were torqued to over 200 ft-lbs. I had to jump on the breaker bar to loosen them.

On another car I broke two stud bolts because the nuts wouldn't come off.

Better to solve these problems on your driveway than on the road.

I also test out the tire jack, to make sure it works and to train myself.
I recently inspected the brakes and rotated the tires on a friend's 2002 Silverado. The front lugs were incredibly tight and the lugs were pretty beat up. The rears were normal. I replaced the front lugs and torqued them normally. I used a tiny wisp of AS.

I always use anti seize on wheel studs.
As did my father, grandfather, and every mechanic I have ever known.
The mechanic who works for me wouldn't even consider changing the tires on my trucks with using it.
Last week I was getting new tires put on a truck and trailer at Kal tire, the 2 guys working on it both put anti seize on every stud, then ran the wheel nuts up to about 300 foot lbs with a gun, then hand torqued them from there.
Had they not been using anti seize on their own, I would have told them to, as I was standing there watching.
I also would have told the manager they failed to use it.

Never unless mfg specifies. Especially when shops now use air impact tools and tighten lugs to 9999 ft-lbs. I already can’t get them off without jumping on a breaker bar, I don’t need 15-20% extra torque. I live in the rust belt and have never had a problem without using it, but I don’t go 5 years on a set of tires.

Had they not been using anti seize on their own, I would have told them to, as I was standing there watching.
I also would have told the manager they failed to use it.
Most manufacturers specifically instruct to not use anti-seize these days. It gets everywhere, doesn’t belong at the wheel/hub interface, and I’d rather use a light application of WD-40 or similar and adjust the torque slightly if I decided to use anything at all.

Most manufacturers specifically instruct to not use anti-seize these days. It gets everywhere, doesn’t belong at the wheel/hub interface, and I’d rather use a light application of WD-40 or similar and adjust the torque slightly if I decided to use anything at all.

Thats fine for those who don't want it.
Me, I demand its use.

Most manufacturers specifically instruct to not use anti-seize these days.
Who are all of these manufacturers? Do you have any direct links to exactly what these manufacturers are saying? Along with their reasons for not using it.

I ask because I hear this a lot every time these discussions come up for debate. But I have yet to see the reasons stated as to why? If it's because of fear of a wheel coming loose, has anyone heard of a wheel coming off, that can be directly attributed to the use of anti seize? Because I haven't in over 50 years.

And that can be the only reason why anyone would be against its use on wheel studs. And if it is responsible for lug nuts coming loose, it only stands to reason it would cause other fasteners and parts like spark plugs, shock absorber mounting studs, and brake calipers to come loose as well. It obviously doesn't, or else no one would be using it for anything.

Who are all of these manufacturers? Do you have any direct links to exactly what these manufacturers are saying? Along with their reasons for not using it.

I ask because I hear this a lot every time these discussions come up for debate. But I have yet to see the reasons stated as to why? If it's because of fear of a wheel coming loose, has anyone heard of a wheel coming off, that can be directly attributed to the use of anti seize? Because I haven't in over 50 years.

And that can be the only reason why anyone would be against its use on wheel studs. And if it is responsible for lug nuts coming loose, it only stands to reason it would cause other fasteners and parts like spark plugs, shock absorber mounting studs, and brake calipers to come loose as well. It obviously doesn't, or else no one would be using it for anything.
You can look at manuals yourself. I've seen it in Mazda, BMW, and MB among others. It clearly won't make anything come loose... it is the exact opposite. Bottom line is that the mechanical engineers have to consider all factors and are smarter than random people that want to smear feel-good goop on everything.

You can look at manuals yourself. I've seen it in Mazda, BMW, and MB among others. It clearly won't make anything come loose... it is the exact opposite. Bottom line is that the mechanical engineers have to consider all factors and are smarter than random people that want to smear feel-good goop on everything.

A good friend of mine is a mechanical engineer, and worked for western star for 25 years, and swears by using it.

I have never seen it mentioned in any manual in any vehicle I've ever owned. And if you're trying to correlate it's use to over torquing, again I've seen many wheel studs snapped off from lack of anti seize. But I have never seen one broken off because of it.

And as far as the monkeys at tire and car dealerships. If they're using enough torque to snap studs off, it's going to happen with or without anti seize being applied.

If you look at charts pertaining to torque numbers applied to both lubricated and unlubricated threads, the reduction factor is only around 10% to 20% max. for torquing a lubricated thread. 20% additional torque is not going to be enough to snap off a stud.

And remember, these same "mechanical engineers" are the same guys who are telling you to use 0W-16 in your crankcase. That's nothing but a standard cop out. If this was a problem, you would be reading about it everywhere. It isn't, and you're not.

I have never seen it mentioned in any manual in any vehicle I've ever owned.
Try reading more than the manuals for a couple older vehicles. No one said the world is gonna end if you use it. It's just largely unnecessary and possibly more harmful than helpful. You're in Arizona anyway, no big deal. I have no problems getting my lugs off without it in New England where they salt constantly.

Why not at the wheel/hub interface?

Back