Wisdom of using 2 Liqui-Moly additives at the same time?

2012 LS460 AWD at 200k

Lifters are quite chatty at cold start, like marbles in a can. Liqui-Moly Anti-Friction has remedied this to about 50% of the chatter, as compared to without. I am curious if it is a dumb idea to add Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter additive in the same oil as I've put the anti-friction, or should I just wait to the next OCI? This V8 has a 9qt oil fill, so I'm not worried about diluting the oil, but mixing the chemistry of the two Liqui-Moly products. Thoughts?

PXL_20211126_215012346-EFFECTS.jpg

So is liquid moly one additive that this site approves of????

Let me say this, if the oil you are using is not giving satisfactory results, and adding additives to it makes it better, maybe you should look for a different brand.
I've tried every high end oil and every viscosity in 80k miles and 2 years of ownership. Not one single oil affected the cold start chatter. Yet, LM Anti-Friction additive was successful. This post wasn't about the efficacy of additives. My only question is: can I mix the LM AF and LM Lifter sauce in the same pot of oil, and will the chemistries complement or compete with each other?

I've tried every high end oil and every viscosity in 80k miles and 2 years of ownership. Not one single oil affected the cold start chatter. Yet, LM Anti-Friction additive was successful. This post wasn't about the efficacy of additives. My only question is: can I mix the LM AF and LM Lifter sauce in the same pot of oil, and will the chemistries complement or compete with each other?
You need to contact LM.

2012 LS460 AWD at 200k

Lifters are quite chatty at cold start, like marbles in a can. Liqui-Moly Anti-Friction has remedied this to about 50% of the chatter, as compared to without. I am curious if it is a dumb idea to add Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter additive in the same oil as I've put the anti-friction, or should I just wait to the next OCI? This V8 has a 9qt oil fill, so I'm not worried about diluting the oil, but mixing the chemistry of the two Liqui-Moly products. Thoughts?
I think you have a car with 200k on it. It should only be expected that there would be some noisyness under the hood.
Why would you address this condition with an additive?
As others have stated, if you require an additive for good performance then the first place to look is at the oil you've selected.
Pick an oil that meets the OEM spec and go with it.
Return the additives for a refund.
If your valvetrain is still too noisy, get in there and address the mechanical issue.

Additives are unneeded, unwarranted, and may actually cause damage.
Once you start doubling up you have truly entered the wild west and no one will be able to give you dependable feedback.

Good luck!

I was always preached to by mechanics and chemical, even mechanical engineers that it is not a good idea to put additives in any oil and especially not to mix different oils. The reason they taught that was that many of those additives had not been studied when mixed with brand X Y or Z and you could be making a more damaging chemical cocktail (rust / moisture / corrosion or worse) that does not like each other than by just using one product. Do not know if now a days with all the improvements, strict rules and studies done to comply with government and environmental regulations if this has not been proven or disproved? I think I will stick to what was taught and attempt to use one product at a time. Makes sense to me.

I would use each one at the time, just to be safe and would run a short OCI on the current one.
LM additives are some of the best as they do work (in most cases) and there may be some snake-oil in them, but I'd chose those over any other.

I would just reach out to LM - they will response quickly. Based on some other additives that I have used, you can combine and they will give you some volume guidelines to follow (i.e. don't exceed X% of the fill with additives). I have used MoS2 + Motor Oil Saver before with no drama.

Back