Wiping the engine oil dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info. So essentially paper towels are fine and even if something was left it wouldn't cause any harm to the engine.

Unfortunately I cannot check when cold, car would not be level

I've used paper towels for decades. The only time I had a problem was when one of the vehicles had a certain fine hash pattern engraved on the dipstick. Sometimes it would grab the paper and leave a little behind. A second wipe cleared it.

Somehow leaving any discernible amount of lint on an engine's dipstick seems IMPOSSIBLE to do.

But hey, that's me.

Alternative smarty pants response: Gee, I've been wiping dipsticks with bubble-wrap all these years.

I buy the blue shop paper towels from WM or wherever for oil changes and save one that didn't get too loaded up in the change process for wiping the dipstick off during level checks.
I'd assume those paper towels are lower in lint than kitchen towels, but I sure don't have any proof for that.
I don't use anything too filthy on the dipstick as I'd like to avoid adding contaminants to the oil, occasionally I will break out a brand new blue towel for the dipstick when the one I am using looks too grody.

I wonder if there are guys who let their cars drip for a whole day during the change to get every last bit of whatever out and then use a rag loaded with sand, bark mulch, brass shavings, and pieces of egg salad sandwich to wipe their dipstick off?

I actually think about this when I use my extractor, too...I always wipe the tubing off quickly with a reasonably clean paper shop towel before shoving it down the dipstick tube.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by dblshock
check the dip stick first thing of the day, no wipe necessary.

Very accurate reading as well. As long as the vehicle is level.

Forgot about that, even though that's what I do. 4-6 hours is all that is needed; many times at work I've checked oil level during lunchtime, good excuse for a walk and to see the sun.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I'll probably be called a idiot but I use old shirts I made into rags for checking my oil

Nothing wrong with that. I've done the same.

I'll probably be called a idiot but I use old shirts I made into rags for checking my oil

I have 3 plastic grocery sacks full of old t-shirts and socks, no need to buy shop towels. Socks work really good for things like applying grease to door seals, you can slip them over your hand like a glove.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr

I have 3 plastic grocery sacks full of old t-shirts and socks, no need to buy shop towels. Socks work really good for things like applying grease to door seals, you can slip them over your hand like a glove.

I have boxes full. I never bought shop towels. The sock idea works great for door seals, fast and neat.
wink.gif

I use the old shirts for oil changes, etc.
Then turn 'em inside out and wear them for the nest 10 years.
All good.

If the paper towels scare you, you'd hate the engine oil dipstick arrangement on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder. The dipstick hole is in such a position that it requires a stamped steel ramp, scoop, guide, or what ever you want to call it mounted on the side of of the engine to guide the stick back into the hole. This ramp is about impossible to wipe clean w/out knocking debris right down into the dipstick hole. Engineering marvels I tell ya.

Last edited:
I've never bought shop towels either. The paper towel I use to check oil once a month is a half paper towel. There's probably 140 half sheets per roll and one roll in the garage, lasts me a couple years. Bigger jobs see old t-shirts and old hand towels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back