winter front 1992 Cummins Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out on Highway with about +8C or 40F with winter front on. Engine overheating about 3/16 past the normal heat range which is just shy of first line in operating temp zone. Get out, take winter front off, find the heat about 3/16 inch below this normal operation heat zone.

Using an XD3 full syn 0-40 oil, I am steering towards more heat better than running cooler but asking here for help on what to do. I did have the flaps open on this leather winter front when it was on. This temp is right between winter front use or not.

I do not have temps on this heat gauge, only lines, most Dodge Cummins operators will know this normal operating temp position on gauge. Would runing at 75 miles per hour for about 25 miles a little cooler on gauge (engine heat) hurt anything?

Cyprs

My advice would be to get a real temp gage and install it. You don't know if a line is 5 or 50 degrees with stock gage and one gage may read different than another. Most factory gages are a dummy light with a needle on it.

Your thermostat should keep the engine at the right temp if it is working properly. Your cold cover should reduce warmup time at the expense of cooling when the engine is warm. Occasionally they stick open and then your engine temp is a function of the air temp. If you are only making short trips like a mile or two at slow speed then the cold cover might be a good thing.

Perry

[ December 13, 2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: 7.3 F350 ]

+8C is too warm for a winter front. Wait until it's well below freezing like -10C. If the truck has trouble maintaining normal coolant temperature then the thermostat may be sticking open.

Thanks, I will check the thermostat, what actually happened was for 10 minutes after driving without the winter front I was traveling at 75 miles per hour and the temp gage was right on the proper operating temp. I hit a 50 mile/hour short speed zone and my engine chilled and it would not heat up back to normal operating temp. I was curious if this loss of heat with 75 miles per hour for a further 15 min would do engine damage, the "idiot light" I know is too vague to know for sure, truck did run great even though it was running colder last 15 min.

thanks,
Cyprs

Most diesels have overengineered cooling systems and naturally run cooler than similar gasoline engines. HD equipment around here runs winter fronts in those temps no problem.

With most HD disel motors, and I would consider your Cummins B5.9 a HD motor, running on the highway in winter, especially below 0 F or -18 C, without a winter front will cause problems. The motor will never warm up.

Most HD trucks have automatic rad shutters and, depending on load and ambient temps, I've seen the shutters closed or partially closed even at +15 C. Especially in the mountains on downhill grades.

As a matter of fact, the local Chevy and GMC truck dealers that sell Duramax diesel pickups install the winter front summer or winter. They inform the buyers the winter front should be used in temps colder than 40 F or around +6 to +8 C.

I would consider installing a "real" temp gage. Most OEM gages marked "C" to "H" don't really tell you anything. Especially those Ford gages that always appear dead-center on "Normal."

Thanks all, I hope to get a proper temp gauge, it is my understanding that operating 160 degrees or less is harmful, I will probably allow this diesel to be a little warmer than cold, I understand diesels prefer heat. What is the normal warm operating temp of a 92 5.9 Dodge Cummins diesel, anyone know?

thanks,
Cyprs

A friend of mine has a '96 B5.9, and he doesn't like to run it any colder than 160 F. Nor does he like it any hotter than 195, but he has never come close to that high end. It's a very efficient cooling system

thanks heyjay, yeah, they are intercooled, I am sure I was above 160 degrees that day. I am told the cooling fan is actually idle on these, when the engine does heat up hot enough the coupler kicks in on the fan, it sounds like engine damage to those not knowing what the sound of that fan kicking in is, this is what I am told, never had this diesel hot enough to hear it.

Cyprs

Heyjay or anyone,

Question on coolant in diesel, my 1992 Dodge Cummins diesel states to use a glycol antifreeze. I have a large 35 dollar jug of diesel anti freeze I havn't gotten around to changing in this diesel. I really dont know what is in rad now, just bought diesel last Jan.

What is difference from regular glycol antifreeze my manual call for in this diesel and this $35.00 jug of diesel antifreeze I bought last year when I got the truck?

Cyprs

Most HD diesel coolants have no or very low silicates and use organic acids. This prevents erosion and pitting of the liners in a HD diesel motor.

Check your owner manual to determine which you need. I'd strongly advise a cooling system flush before mixing.

If you have any HD Cummins truck centres in your area, pay them a visit. They at least know your motor.

I have a Case/Cummins implement dealer a couple miles away, will ask them. My Dodge manual does say only glycol/water, regular antifreeze but that was 1992, who knows if this newer version of diesel anti freeze was out by then, and I dont know what is in there now having just bought the truck last year. Will flush and replace, got this diesel antifreeze collecting dust in garage.

thanks Heyjay,

Cyprs

The engine runs at the temperature of the thermostat right? It appears that 85C is the usual temperature.

The Duramax trucks come with a rad cover when new, that's probably why they are installed on the trucks.

Steve

thanks Steve, I have to get a proper gauge, I have one of these idiot needles, but yes, my neighbor's Cummins has a proper gauge and his runs at about 85-90 with winter front.

Thanks

Cyprs

Some diesel engines are so overcooled that even with the "proper" thermostat, they'll never keep operating temp on the highway.

Invest in a good mechanical temp gauge to start with. If you really want to experiment, see if there are any tapped coolant passages at the back of that inline 6. Mount another temp gauge at the back of the block.

With my 1984 Ford F-150 (Custom 5 row rad, Flow Cooler water pump, etc) at "typical" winter temps you'd find on the praries (-35 C or colder), even with a 195 thermostat, it would only run at 180 or less on the highway, no winter front.

The gauge at the back of the block (Threaded coolant tap on Edelbrock manifold) would never leave the bottom of the peg under the same conditions.

With the winter front on, the front of the block would eventually reach 195, the back of the block would eventually reach 130 F. These are good expensive Autometer Pro Comp gauges, not the junky kind either.

My local GMC Truck dealer is very adament that Duramax customers run the factory winter front in temps below freezing, especially below -20 C.

There is no way in h*** I would run a diesel truck in temps below -20 C without a winter front.

Thanks Heyjay, interesting, I believe these winter prairie conditions can be some of harshest on a diesel with temps down to -40 + wind chill, always the wind.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back