Windshield Treatment recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Prestone Windshield Treatment every few months for the past couple of years and have been happy with it. I just ran out, so was wondering what others are using before I go shopping.

A few years ago I picked up some "Rain Clear" gel at checker auto parts stores and it seems to work really well. Oddly enough the guy that started it used to work for the same company that made rain-x

I was a rain-x fan but started putting klasse on the windshield and it seems to perform the same. klasse is easier to apply.

aquapel is supposed to be the best. 6mo between applications.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

A few years ago I picked up some "Rain Clear" gel at checker auto parts stores and it seems to work really well. Oddly enough the guy that started it used to work for the same company that made rain-x

+1 on Rain Clear. The last time I used was on my Jeep. When I used to go offroading the mud water would bead right off the glass. My whole jeep would be muddy but my winshield!!!!

I'm a big fan of Aquapel. Applied it to my truck when I bought it 5 years ago and water still beads. It's not quite a slick as Rain X (which itself is little more than silicone and alcohol) but it does the job very well.

Haven't used Rain Clear but it's an interesting product. It was created by the developer of Rain X. I met him at SEMA several years ago and found out what he was working on, a more durable version of Rain X. I think I've seen the stuff at Walmart. Certainly worth a try if you're looking to make a change.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
If it's been good for you that long, why change??????????

Because it appears to have been discontinued...or at least I cannot find any current info about it.

Last edited:
Actually, I have used most of the products mentioned so far and Amsoil actually is the best IMO, easier to put on, fewer streaks long lasting. the gel ones are a bear IMO to get streaks out of and did not last very long. One of them caused gunk to accumulate on windshield that caused wiper to keep streaking in rain, had to use soap product and a lot of elbow grease to remove the black gunk from surface

Rain-X or the gel (Rain Clear ?). It's kind of like heroin for windshields as if you use it you should keep reapplying it, otherwise you can end up with the wipers smearing. If you keep it touched up you often don't need wipers, and the worse the rain the more it convinces you to use it. I've been in downpours where other people pulled off the highway or were driving 20 mph under the speed limit as they evidently couldn't see, but I was fine with the wipers on low.

The newer / less scratched the windshield the better it works and the less you need to reapply. It seems to help to alternate a bit between Rain-X and Rain Clear.

Just bought some Aquapel at Harbor Freight for $4.99. One tube should do all the windows on a truck or small car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back