Windows 11 RTM .iso now available

Does it require a license key after the install, and does it support upgrade from Windows 10?

Operating systems should be getting more efficent not less efficient. I have to say I like Manjaro Linux a lot better than Windows 10 and if Steam did a better job of supporting some of games I like on Linux, I would be completely off the Microsoft product.

I downloaded the "beta" Pro version from the Windows Insider channel and did a clean install a couple days ago, but it's the same build number as the one released today.

I'm actually pretty thrilled with it. I think they tweaked things in all the right areas to improve usability and aesthetics without reinventing/breaking things for no reason (i.e Windows 8) that invariably alienates long time Windows users. Feels a lot cleaner and more streamlined. I do appreciate the new security features.

Mine activated no problem without ever entering an activation code, I assume they use the digital license tied to your PC. The install was simple, not much different than Windows 10 in that regard.

There's a couple things that are missing/changed that I haven't been able to find, that were easy to in Win10-- one is the ability to show all icons/notifications in the system tray (instead of some getting bunched together in what Microsoft now calls the "overflow".) The other is power settings, I can find the balanced/performance profiles and sleep settings, but I can't find the detailed menu where you can set things one by one, such as hard drive shutdown timer, PCI-E link management, etc. I haven't had time to put a lot of effort into finding them, however.

One HUGE improvement I noticed right away is HDR compatibility. Previously in Windows 10, anytime I enabled HDR the screen would be completely washed out, and no amount of color correction / brightness settings (even on the screen itself) would fully correct it. In Windows 11 it worked right from the get-go, image quality/appearance is the way it should be. Looks stunning on my 4K display, and it will automatically enable HDR mode in (presumably Microsoft) applications that support it. It set HDR on Flight Sim 2020 and even Microsoft's solitaire suite automatically.

I'm curious to see if/how non-spec PCs will be handicapped, as Microsoft will purportedly allow you to install Win11 on older devices, but I've been hearing a lot of back and forth on whether you will be able to receive security/feature updates. I have a couple older Xeon PCs that are still modern from a performance standpoint, but don't support TPM. I use one as my media server and it'd be nice to put Win 11 on these. I'll probably give it a shot and see what happens.

Finally got secure boot, tmp, and other settings configured. Now I'm blocked because it's not compatible with the current version of virtualbox as the hypervisor/host. Guess I will have to wait a bit longer.

I upgraded my Windows 10 VM to 11 a few months ago and now it won't upgrade to RTM because they've "added" the TPM and Secure Boot requirements (which weren't present until quite recently). This is a Parallels VM.

Not overly pleased with that. A lot of computers that were running 7 and upgraded to 10 may not have Secure Boot or a TPM, depending on how old they are, which is going to dead-end them at 10.

Only issue I ran into was the TPM was disabled. Recent AMD CPU's and chipsets include a fTPM option that is disabled by default in the BIOS so had to dig in there to enable it.

Update went without a hitch, took about ~20min. First thing I did was to realign the start taskbar back to the left. Then tested if my old Win9x games still worked and yep I'm still able to play Driver (PC).

I upgraded my Windows 10 VM to 11 a few months ago and now it won't upgrade to RTM because they've "added" the TPM and Secure Boot requirements (which weren't present until quite recently). This is a Parallels VM.

Not overly pleased with that. A lot of computers that were running 7 and upgraded to 10 may not have Secure Boot or a TPM, depending on how old they are, which is going to dead-end them at 10.
I thought Microsoft removed the TPM and Secure Boot requirements due to the backlash they received for it?

Will I regret it?
I'm running it in a VM. Who knew you could run both Hyper-V and Oracle Virtualbox on the same machine at the same time.

Virtualbox doesn't have TPM 2.0 support yet, so I had to break out M$ Hyper-V to run a Win11 VM.

M$ did allow VMs that didn't have TPM 2.0 until about a week or two ago and then it kicked mine out of the Windows Insider program.

I don't see any great need to jump to it. I have it on a VM to test drive, but the host system will keep running Windows 10 for a while to make sure there are not big bugs that will bite.

Upgraded last week. Only downfall is the Start menu and the labels on the taskbar being taken away. Annoying af.

I thought Microsoft removed the TPM and Secure Boot requirements due to the backlash they received for it?
If you really want to run it, you could use Hyper-V, see above. Hyper-V does provide a virtual TPM 2.0

Allegedly, Virtualbox 7 is supposed to offer TPM 2.0 support, but no idea when it's coming. (And I did look internally, FWIW.)

If they did, it's been within the last week, I tried to upgrade to RTM last Monday and couldn't.
As I mentioned above, I believe they added TPM 2.0 back into the VM machines a week or two ago. So to run it in a VM, you'll need Hyper-V or VMWare as I believe both provide a virtual TPM 2.0.

Back