Window Air Conditioners

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question on the life of your typical 5K-15K window/wall units. Many have energy saving modes. Will using ES mode lengthen or shorten the life of the compressor/unit? And by that I mean are a lot of starts and stops worse than just running it steady? Frankly, I wouldn't be interested in saving a few Kw-hrs if it shortens the life of the unit by 20% or more.

I think the compressor shuts off in both cases and the fan runs on with the old style. I have had digital control and fans fail - but since most of my units are cheaper 5k-10k ... I tend to just change them out - bring home - and leave the old one by the curb. (Junk men ride around on Sunday and scoop these up). My camp sits on a bayou with a prevailing wind blowing moisture across the bay - mid 90's this week. That place is also flood prone - so not insulated well ...
Would hope you could get 50% better runs in either mode ...
Sorry I don't have the best answer - but again, don't think I'm failing the compressor.

Cycling paramaters

This suggests that with air conditioners, "highway" mileage at steady state is probably more efficient than frequent start/stops which consume a lot of energy at start up. Moisture removal is improved with a long cycle time. Since my unit is undersized by about 20%, I'll strive for longer cycles.

Can't argue that - if that is your plan - might consider knob style and eliminate another single point failure.

I have since augmented the Camp AC's with a Frig dehumidifier - it filled the 8 gallon tank in less than a week !
So I ran a hose outside and planted a palm tree 🌴🌴🌴
I leave it running when I am not there - and the AC's have a fighting chance when I get there.
Air quaility is noticeably better.

I can use my movable 12,000 btu ac as a dehumidifier, and it can remove a gallon of water in 4 hours. I can cool the whole house down about 10°F with just the one unit. That's enough, it's the humidity you need to get rid of in my experience.

Right on - there's allot to this "feels like" temp they talk about in the news ...
I really don't know how fast the tank filled - might have been a couple days ...
I was gone a week and it had shut down on full tank alarm. Hooked up hose.

I just bought a Frigidaire 70 pint dehumidifier yesterday and put it in a part of my house that has no a/c. In 12 hours it has removed over 10 gallons. It has been very humid here the past few days.

Update:

There was one room in the house that needed air conditioning, this room had a slider window that slid horizontally..no way to remove the window to fit the air conditioner without destroying the window..so had to take the window air conditioner back. A suggestion from a friend that had a Delonghi 12000BTU mobile air conditoning unit from Sams Club would be the way to go... Yes. Good unit so far..easy to install on the horizontal slider windows. Room is nice and cool and had it all going within 30 mins.

The other room in the house had no window. So we had a choice to install a window, cut a hole for mobile air conditioner, or cut a large hole for a wall a/c. The choice was to cut a smaller rectangle hole that fit a common 12KBTU window air conditioner and trim it in to be a permanant fit, yet easy to swap out for another unit in case this one fails. Installed Frigidaire 12KBTU window air conditioner into wall. Nice and cool now.

So with under $500 in two air conditioners I am now air conditioning two rooms in my home that otherwise would have been done with a $2000 to $3000 ductless system.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
The quest: Walk into a store in the middle of summer and get a 12000BTU window air conditioner..

Walmart- 1 store within 75 miles had 2 units.. called the store the person working that department was off today..nobody could give an answer even with the item numbers etc. Was going to get the units today due to online showing the two units.. but i checked this morning and zero stock. This unit was $100 cheaper per unit than any other 12000 BTU that i have seen..so it must be discontinued.

Best Buy- They had one unit within 50 miles.

Home Depot- GE brand - All consumer reviews are glowing like its the best unit ever made...yet every other review on blogs, forums or youtube say avoid due to noise and quality.

Lowes- Frigidaire- Most consumer reviews arent good, pretty much avoid if I can.

I guess i am crazy but I would think that window ACs would have to be high demand during the summer.. just for the fact that if someones central air went out and they needed relief...not to mention the amount of current window acs that get replaced or fail during a hot summer.

If i want a weedeater or mower i can go literally anywhere and pick from a large selection...a/c not really.

You don't know how to shop. Try shopping at an APPLIANCE store.

Last edited:
For those with these AC units how noisy are they when the compressor kicks on and off? Our window unit is about 15 years old and still works great but bangs when the compressor cycles. When I'm awake it's ok but I'm a light sleeper so it can wake me up. Haven't been around any others so don't know if it's normal. Thought about just a small one for just the bedroom and not the whole space.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
For those with these AC units how noisy are they when the compressor kicks on and off? Our window unit is about 15 years old and still works great but bangs when the compressor cycles. When I'm awake it's ok but I'm a light sleeper so it can wake me up. Haven't been around any others so don't know if it's normal. Thought about just a small one for just the bedroom and not the whole space.

Its been miserable here with the humidity, so we put a mobile a/c in the bedroom and I am really impressed. I am sure that there are better units but the Delonghi 12Kbtu from Sams Club is freezing us out in the bedroom and all you can hear is a light fan noise.

Go to walmart, etc and get the cheapest possible. Get a 5 to 6K unit. For one room you don't need big. When it fails throw away. But honestly the cheapo ones last forever. They all come out of the same chinese factory. I have only a 5000 BtU unit in a 20 x 20 room witha cathedral ceiling. It keeps that room and the adjacent kitchen fine in the hottest summer days. Not the temp may get up to 76 but its quite comfortable be it runs constantly.

We have a 5000Btu one in the bedroom and it gets like 62 at night.

Think small and cheap..

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
i just saw this thread. I STILL have a window a/c, from 1979!!! It recently started losing its coolness, so i want to get it recharged, if I can. I like old stuff.

Hopefully you disassemble it every couple years and clean out the mold. You are probably running 10 amps when you should be running 4 amps. I like old stuff but not when it comes to that area. Getting it recharged makes zero sense. If its leaking there is a serious problem. Its hermetically sealed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back