Wind Turbine Oil Leaks

Those pictures just make me cringe - is it that much better being in the water versus near the coast ?
We don't really know yet barely any over the water wind farms have been built. They were sold as having 70% capacity factor no problem and would work when land based were idle.
Well none of that's happening.
The over the water turbines that have been built are struggling to hit 60% capacity and are running when they want, no counter land based wind action.

Any oil spills in the sea from wind turbines will be secret, sorta like airliners dumping fuel out there, etc etc.
Dare a cruise ship have a small leak.

I think we are going to find out it isn't. I suspect we will see a lot more premature failure and maintenance cost with offshore wind than we do with onshore wind, and coastal onshore offers near-offshore performance at less than half the cost per unit.

They are still susceptible to the same issues (see the Nova Scotia and PEI examples) but are easier to maintain.

I've seen a the diifferences between inland and coastal coal power stations...not even out in the ocean, the salt ravages them...

We have a few of these in IA near me. I’ve seen them use a winch on a truck attached to a line that winches barrels up to the top.

One windmill caught fire and could be seen from I35. I suspect it’s been changed out by now, but it looked like a burned matchstick.

When I had some land, a banker told me not to get involved in the windmill game. It’s good for the current owner, but 20 years later, a nightmare.

I've seen a the diifferences between inland and coastal coal power stations...not even out in the ocean, the salt ravages them...
Salt fog invasion of electrical harnesses and control panels would be a major concern.
They say never buy a salvage car that's been in a hurricane. Imagine designing a system on purpose to live in hurricane conditions.

Here is how the broken turbine blades are "disposed of", they are simply buried or piled up in landfills. Oh yeah, we're saving the planet now :ROFLMAO:

2000x1499.jpg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...d-so-they-re-piling-up-in-landfills#xj4y7vzkg

I can help but wonder if a little bit of thought and reasoning of them being in the ocean is if they leak and/or break most people won't ever see it. Yea I know more wind, no buildings, etc. is the reason but I can't help but wonder. I see them as another modern day very inefficient, costly mistake. We're better off with nuclear power for this big "green" push to all electric, jmo.
We need sources that inherently generate electrons, not more solutions that convert wind & solar into electric. SOLUTION means something is available to produce electricity 24/7/365 (with minor % for PMs & repairs of course); crap like the greenies are shoving down our throats can never actually be counted on for a given output, and therefore it should always be considered non-existent.

Which means we should save our money, give politicians the finger AND the boot, and actively pursue safe nukes like Canada is doing.

Here is how the broken turbine blades are "disposed of", they are simply buried or piled up in landfills. Oh yeah, we're saving the planet now :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 180643

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...d-so-they-re-piling-up-in-landfills#xj4y7vzkg
Funny how the huge worry is plastic straws, those blades will not degrade. I suggest making them like Mercedes did for the wire insulation years ago. Or pulverize them into dust and make new blades from that, or a super hot furnace to burn the dust in.
Doing this is just plain stupid, unless its used to fill in a wet area to build a road on.

Funny how the huge worry is plastic straws, those blades will not degrade. I suggest making them like Mercedes did for the wire insulation years ago. Or pulverize them into dust and make new blades from that, or a super hot furnace to burn the dust in.
Doing this is just plain stupid, unless its used to fill in a wet area to build a road on.
Looks like an old thread was brought back, so why not! lol

Could you imagine the amount of diesel fuel used just to prep, transport, place and align those spent wind turbine blades in the ground to be buried. We really are doing a number on ourselves.

Back