Wind Turbine Oil Leaks

Driving past a couple large wind farms I cant help but notice the brown oil leaks or stains on the turbines. It looks like around half of turbines have experienced some kind of leak.

Does anyone know what normally fails on this kind of machinery?

The brown stains are from hundreds of dead birds.

1694567833012.jpg

National Wildlife Federation

Driving past a couple large wind farms I cant help but notice the brown oil leaks or stains on the turbines. It looks like around half of turbines have experienced some kind of leak.

They seem to get more and more prone to catching fire as they age, we've had two go up so far this year.
1694579933246.jpg

1694579995137.jpg

Well they have hydraulic everything.
On most designs the motor that spins the nacelle around is hydraulic. On anything bigger than 1mw the blade pitch trim system is hydraulicly driven and they have a huge gear box full of oil.
Last time I checked only GE religiously used electric drive nacelle motors, bit even those will still have a gear box with oil in it.
They have filters and lines that run all over the inside. The main gear box oil is constantly pumped and circulated, heated and cooled as needed.
A wind turbine that is stopped but ready to run, basically waiting for the wind still uses 5 to 6kw.

how efficient are these? how long do they need to be in service until they pay for themselves.?
I've searched and can't seem to use the correct combination of words to get my answer.

Well they have hydraulic everything.
On most designs the motor that spins the nacelle around is hydraulic. On anything bigger than 1mw the blade pitch trim system is hydraulicly driven and they have a huge gear box full of oil.
Last time I checked only GE religiously used electric drive nacelle motors, bit even those will still have a gear box with oil in it.
They have filters and lines that run all over the inside. The main gear box oil is constantly pumped and circulated, heated and cooled as needed.
A wind turbine that is stopped but ready to run, basically waiting for the wind still uses 5 to 6kw.
Cool, thanks for the details!

how efficient are these? how long do they need to be in service until they pay for themselves.?
I've searched and can't seem to use the correct combination of words to get my answer.
Around here where the wind blows enough for them to make nearly 50% capacity factor they pay for them selves in as little as 4 years.
But how much is the lease and how much did they spend on transmission lines to connect to the grid also plays into that.

Not sure on the payback, depends on site, market etc...the other weekend they all had to be turned off in Victoria, Australia, as they pushed the wholesale price negative.

And they have to be "renewed" after 15-20 years.

In my home town of ~700 people, there's a 20-something kid that does maintenance on these. I talked to him a little bit and he said the front seals are a big problem and the stains you see are from these front seals and bearings failing. I've got 31 wind turbines just a couple of miles from me and I can see them and the flashing lights that they have at night.

https://www.ketv.com/article/wind-turbine-collapses-near-diller/10025628
This happened about six years ago. It fell and the fall was not weather related. I guess it was a good thing nobody was in or on top of it at the time. The reason for the failure was never given publicly, AFAIK.

Depends considerably on the location, models...etc.

Ontario, wind turbine average CF is 29%, summer CF is below 15%, which is our period of highest demand.

Then you have situations like this. These are 9 years old, and the $60 million dollar wind farm requires $10 million in repairs:

You can calculate the required kWh rate to cover the CAPEX if you are privy to the project cost. A lot of US projects are funded through REC's and other schemes that obscure the costs.

Let's take Ontario's most recent, and least expensive wind project that was completed in 2021, Nation Rise:
Cost: $233 million
Capacity: 100MW

So, $2.33 million/MW

Average output would be 29MW, so, over the course of a year, this facility would generate 254,040MWh.

If you wanted the facility to pay for itself in 10 years, assuming it doesn't decline in performance like many of them have, we'll take that number, multiply it by 10, and we get 2,540,400MWh. $233 million over 2,540,400MWh, it would require $91.72/MWh to pay off its CAPEX in 10 years. This doesn't include land taxes, maintenance...etc.

Now, in Ontario, the previous government subsidized the hell out of wind and solar, so the average rate paid to wind developers is $0.131/kWh. I'm not privity to the specifics on what Nation Rise is being paid, but I'd be surprised if it was less than $0.09/kWh.

Due to its production profile, producing grossly out of phase with demand, the average market rate in Ontario for when wind is most productive is ~$0.01/kWh. Paid market, none of these facilities would ever pay for themselves in the province, which means had they not been forced on ratepayers, we'd have far less than the 5GW we have installed, due to its impact on the market rate.

Wow, that was exactly my immediate thought when I read the OP
It’s acknowledged that wind farms slaughter, at least 50,000 migrating birds in the US alone every year
Wind turbines in Canada are killing 166,000 bats every year and apparently 75% of the kills are migratory bats at levels that are unsustainable to the populations.

Wind turbines in Canada are killing 166,000 bats every year and apparently 75% of the kills are migratory bats at levels that are unsustainable to the populations.
That is really horrendous.
Can you imagine if they could document this disaster drilling for oil. I just dont understand the public at large at times.
Besides that I have followed your posts about the costs involved with the mills to begin with.
I was reading that the blades also need replacement over time too.

Thing is in you country at least Nuclear is accepted (I think, I might be biased by your posts) and in Europe the population is finally coming to their senses. It's really amazing if you think about it. The "masses" have to be punished through energy shortages, wild price spikes before they "wake up" to understand the value of nuclear and question why it was abandoned being all the hardships they are going through because of inaction.
Call me crazy, sometimes I think we are doomed but then again, once the public gets punished enough they seem to come around just in time.

Back