win 10 keeps going to "preparing automatic repair " and "Diagnosing you computer"

Win 10 Home. Son's comp keeps booting into win 10 keeps going to "preparing automatic repair " and "Diagnosing you computer" I've went into The Automatic Repair options and I've tried them all and nothing. I've tried going into safe mode, nothing. tried the partial reformat,nothing.Tried system restore, and it only goes back til the 7th and it still doesn't restore. I've tried hitting the F12 or F4 or Delete buttons during startup, nothing.What else can i try? What is the actual button to get into safe mode? Thanks!!!

I also go to startup settings, and i select either 4 or 5 and nothing happens. I can see an led is lit on the keyboard, so I know it's plugged in.

Bet it was an update that borked it. You can try a startup repair if you have a Win10.iso on a USB stick. I'd download the iso and install it on a usb stick via Rufus.

Personally, if there wasn't anything important on the laptop, I'd do a clean install.

Last edited:
If Google Chrome is the browser, that could cause problems. Microsoft products work much better with Windows 10.

my new dell 5620 W11 keeps showing the microsoft info on logging in as well as unwanted game junk i DONT use!! even went into regedit + DUMPED the obious + safe junk connected to gaming. in the end microsoft does what it wants like STILL opening stuff when the cursor JUST passes bye!! BUT overall i enjoy the computer more than JUNK $$$ high priced i have on PAUSE until football, real soon!!

Sometimes, there is an actual hardware problem that can cause Windows to go into a loop like that.

I recently had a glitchy video card that caused exactly that. I fought with that thing for weeks, eventually the video card started actually failing and the problem became obvious.

The real issue was that the diagnostic information provided never pointed to graphics issues. Or maybe more accurately, I did not recognize fault 0000b04x9409-0398 as a video error.

There is no need for third part programs like Rufus or anything.
Google windows 10 installation media and it will take you right to the Microsoft website. Download the media and it will work you though creating a bootable USB drive. Ensure you select the same version as what’s installed on your computer.

Then try the repair. If nothing works, you may need a fresh installation which will wipe the entire system out, so make backups.

If it's a Dell or HP or whatever, run the onboard diagnostics to rule out a hardware problem before doing anything with Windows.

Not sure what you mean by 'tried the partial reformat'?

If it's a Dell or HP or whatever, run the onboard diagnostics to rule out a hardware problem before doing anything with Windows.

Not sure what you mean by 'tried the partial reformat'?
I have tried to run all the diagnostic options and they don't complete. Partial Reformat ---The option where it allows you to keep your apps and programs and just reinstalls Win 10.

Hardware vendor's diagnostics, pre-boot, pre-Windows. Not the Windows diagnostics, yes?

If the hardware diagnostics don't complete, you have bigger issues.

Remove memory, clean contacts (electrical contact cleaner or alcohol/ cotton swab), and reinstall. Same with video card.
Reseat all cables on motherboard and disk drives. Try booting with just one stick of memory installed. Retry with another stick in case first is defective.

Can you boot to a USB drive?

Regards,
John

probably disk IO errors at this point or memory errors like the others have stated. Will need to be reloaded. I would throw a new hard drive in it and reload.

My vote on this is also a dying drive, Buy another ssd if you can afford it, install w10 on the new drive, see if you can recover any data from the old drive then retire it.

There is no need for third part programs like Rufus or anything.
Google windows 10 installation media and it will take you right to the Microsoft website. Download the media and it will work you though creating a bootable USB drive. Ensure you select the same version as what’s installed on your computer.

Then try the repair. If nothing works, you may need a fresh installation which will wipe the entire system out, so make backups.
How can I make a backup if I cant even get it to go to desktop?

If you can't get into a location with a command prompt:

Make a bootable Windows 10 USB stick from another computer (download the Windows 10 media creation tool)

Boot from it.

Next your way through until you see "repair existing installation", click that
If you've already tried startup repair and that doesn't fix it, you are going to want to get a command prompt and run some commands to:
1. Check the health of the hard drive
2. Restore the consistency of the Windows installation
3. Repair the integrity of the windows image if #2 doesn't work

Step 1:
So, once you get to a command prompt, run: chkdsk /f c: (assuming c: is your windows drive letter when booted from USB, you can verify this by going to c: via cd c:\ and issuing a dir command and ensuring that what you see, is what you expected to see on c:)
If it fixes some stuff, you might want to do a chkdsk /r c: to check for bad blocks

If things were fixed, try booting windows now. Does it boot?
If no corrections were made to the file system or it doesn't boot, proceed to the next step.

Step 2:
run sfc /scannow with switches to tell it where Windows is:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (both of these assume Windows is still on c: when booting from the USB, if the drive letter isn't c, adjust accordingly)

Did this repair things? If so, try and boot. Does it work?
If this doesn't fix it, or it was unable to make the repairs, move to step 3.

Step 3:
Restore the health of the system image.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If these show issues with the image, then run:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If that fails, we'll need to change where it pulls the image from, but we'll leave that for now.

Once the RestoreHealth process is complete, run the sfc command again, which should be successful this time.

Now, if you CAN get to a command prompt without the USB, run the above commands from that command prompt, but sfc can be run with just sfc /scannow as you shouldn't need the drive letter flags.

Did many Updates get dismissed?
Was the computer bought new?.... or bought used by someone that used it precariously - or often used overheated?

What brand name is it? That may explain it's issues.

Back