Williams Socket set

I saw they still make the round head ratchets like b52 in the USA. Surprised, and will have to get a couple when they send the next coupon. The sockets too are a deal. Since the ratchets are made USA how do you know the Snap On and Williams are the same? It could be a completely different manufacturing plant. If they are the same they are charging way too much for the Snap On name stamping.

It is well known they are the same, there was a "How its Made" program of the Snap on line showing the sockets coming off the line and what do you know some had Snap on and others had Williams stampings. IIRC Astro got a set with a Snap on socket in a Williams set.
Yes they make the S52A and the B52A in the USA these are similar to the original Superrachet but has 72T, it is actually a better ratchet. the S52A is one of my favorites, it is very well balanced.

It is well known they are the same, there was a "How its Made" program of the Snap on line showing the sockets coming off the line and what do you know some had Snap on and others had Williams stampings. IIRC Astro got a set with a Snap on socket in a Williams set.
Yes they make the S52A and the B52A in the USA these are similar to the original Superrachet but has 72T, it is actually a better ratchet. the S52A is one of my favorites, it is very well balanced.
I have seen the video a number of times before. At 1:48 it has a socket being stamped and it looks like a W and an I. I went and looked at it because that is how to have a conversation. You don’t need to post it. Is that the one? The problem is that isn’t proof.
You say they are coming off the line together with different names stamped on them?

So we have the Snap On factory making sockets, How it’s Made doesn’t talk about brand it’s about the process of how it’s made. We know the stamper isn’t stamping Williams and Snap On haphazardly. This is how it’s made in their factory, and the camera showed a Williams being made. This isn’t proof the two brands are identical.

Getting a Snap On in a Williams set isn’t a problem, it would be if you bought a Snap On set for the price, and there was a Williams. If they are filling orders they could put a Snap On in place of a Williams depending on stock. Let’s hear about getting a Williams in place of a Snap On and being happy. The order filler, Jes, isn’t going to do that and have a complaint. Again, getting a SO in a Williams set doesn’t actually prove anything except someone got an upgrade to a more expensive part for free. It doesn’t prove they are the same.

It isn’t logical SO and Williams are identical except one costs much more. That is the problem. Its illogical for a company to do such a thing. When something costs more from the same company, there has to be a reason except greed. This is my thought on it. Maybe tool truck replacement tools are so expensive to give, they need to charge more for SO. Maybe.
I have several Williams round head from days long past. The handle has a nice design.

I have to agree with Trav here absolutely no difference in them. I’ve got some of both of the Snap-on and Williams both equally the same look identical even. I trust either one just rather would pay the Williams price any day.

Hey have it any way you want it, believe it or not its up to you. I have both and other than the name there is no difference I can tell. (y)
If it cost more and has a different name from the same company it must be better. Got it.
Not logical, unless there is some reason like sold on the trucks. A tech is more likely to run to the truck than spend time after work on his own trying to warranty a tool. Every tool exchange is like cutting the price in half. I don’t know, but it doesn’t sound right. Why buy SO at all then If Will is the exact same steel etc? ”Believing” works on both sides here. All good all done, everyone is right or not right. It doesn't matter.

Simple, you pay a premium for the service and convenience of the truck. Look at Blue Point that is also sold on the truck Made in Taiwan exactly the same tool as Williams Taiwan, no difference whatsoever 3x the price.
With the Williams if you have to warranty something its on you to get that done, making the calls, sending the emails, shipping it back, etc.

Personally I have enough tools that it doesn't bother me a bit if a hand tool is out of commission for a week or two.

I got these Williams sockets in 6 point, US made a while back when i first saw this thread originally. I’ve been very happy with them, and they are my usual tool of choice when I work. I also use their 12 point sockets (Taiwan), simply because some fasteners need a 12 point.

I also have a set of Teng 6 point sockets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive to have back ups. I tend to interchange these more nowadays simply because I like using the Teng sockets. They have a matte finish that makes them easy to use in an oily mess of a job. I’ve lost my (gloved) grip on my smooth chrome Williams sockets in the same situation. YMMV for sure, since my occasional work is no comparison to those who do this hour on hour, every day. 😁

Simple, you pay a premium for the service and convenience of the truck. Look at Blue Point that is also sold on the truck Made in Taiwan exactly the same tool as Williams Taiwan, no difference whatsoever 3x the price.
With the Williams if you have to warranty something its on you to get that done, making the calls, sending the emails, shipping it back, etc.

Personally I have enough tools that it doesn't bother me a bit if a hand tool is out of commission for a week or two.
That's it in a nutshell. I don't have as many tools as you, but I have yet to come across a project where breaking or losing a tool stopped me dead in my tracks. I drop a few "F" bombs and continue. I'll take the 2/3 saved on the Williams tools and pocket it, or buy more tools with it. I like high quality tools, and own many, but to pay up 2/3 more in some cases for warranty convenience, I'll pass.Opinions vary.

From what I saw in your garage you have plenty of tools Frank. A couple of sockets or screwdrivers is not putting you out of business. LOL
Not even close my friend. You haven't been here in a while, that collection grew quite a bit, a good part of its growth is thanks to you and your recommendations!

Snap-On and Williams are made and distributed by the same company.

A couple of my Williams socket sets were delivered with Snap-On sockets on the rail. An odd size, like 11/32", I think, in one case. I reckon they were out of Williams in that obscure size, and just made the substitution.

There is nothing "better" in the steel, manufacturing tolerances, or functionality of Snap-On over Williams. What is better is the convenience of the truck distribution and warranty process. Sure was nice having the Snap-On guy show up at my workplace* many years ago. Walking through that truck full of gleaming new tools, and being able to buy what one needed was just awesome.

*I spent a couple of months working at a junkyard, in Bloomfield, CT, during the time I had off between college graduation and starting AOCS in the USN. It was a great place to learn about cars. We pulled them apart, setting aside engines, transmissions, steering columns (tilt was rare back then), good body parts, including glass, and interior parts that the owner thought would be valuable, or that were satisfying an order for a used part. I got a used 350 Olds engine from that yard for my '77 98, for example. I never did buy any of the Snap-On tools, I was saving up my $$ for my new career and couldn't justify the cost of tools at that point in my life. But the guys I worked with would get something off that truck every week. It was fascinating to watch the business model: payment/installment plans, product sales, service. Sure was attractive. Sure was expensive.

None of it matters but I also guessed the price was due to the truck service. Looking at SO warranty online it isn’t confidence inspiring. I never dealt with them, but in writing it’s tough. The truck guy takes care of all that. I haven’t seen the Williams warranty text.
One difference could be the steel, not that it’s better one or the other, but the source. USA or Taiwan. All the tools with USA steel are quite expensive, Proto, Wright, SK, maybe others.
If people actually read some of these lifetime warranties, they are no warranty at all with all the exceptions. HD, Lowe’s, Milwaukee, Stanley, others state lifetime warranty no questions asked no receipt needed.

Back