Will your truck run on brake clean?

From the same Florida Man who ran a Crown Vic with diesel fuel in the crankcase instead of engine oil.

Obligatory don't try this at home.

The very audible spark knock at 12:15 😬

Ya I know about phosgene gas. I don't know where you would get chlorinated brackleaner. I have not seen that in probably 20 years.

At my local Autozone according to their website, CRC Non-Flammable Brakleen, part # 05089 for $6.29, contains 95% Tetrachloroethylene according to the MSDS.

Ya I know about phosgene gas. I don't know where you would get chlorinated brackleaner. I have not seen that in probably 20 years.
Still on the shelves here. Stinks to high heaven, and I don’t like using it, so, I don’t buy it.

But it’s in every parts store.

Sure, but does tetrachloroethylene decompose into perchloroethylene?

Did you mean to ask does it decompose into phosgene gas?

Tetrachloroethylene is a colorless, volatile, nonflammable, liquid, chlorinated hydrocarbon with an ether-like odor that may emit toxic fumes of phosgene when exposed to sunlight or flames.

The combustion (more like breakdown when exposed to heat; it doesn't "burn") products of chlorinated brake cleaner are quite toxic. Perchloroethylene produces phosgene gas when it burns, or at least when it's exposed to a flame:

We used to use phosgene in organic synthesis in college and we took it pretty seriously. That and hydrogen cyanide.

It's scary how seemingly innocent household and garage products can easily kill us when used improperly.

Welding and using brake clean is DANGEROUS, as it can release phosgene gas.
Mixing chlorine and ammonia (such as bleach and other common house-hold cleaners) can relase chlorine gas, VERY DANGEROUS!
etc ...

USE PRODUCTS AS DIRECTED AND DON'T IMPROVISE!

Back