Will the General Altimax RT-45 live up to the legendary RT-43?

It has some influence from AS-05 tire it seems, and I love AS-05 on Forte, we have Arctic 12 for winters for the car too.
Also a General Tire fan. Was seriously considering Grabber APT for Sportage before getting Sumitomo Encounter HT, both are great tires but Sumis were much cheaper. I'm most def gonna have more Generals on family cars in the future.

I just had a set of RT45 tires put on my Hyundai this morning, previous tires were RT43. Overall these are very smooth and quiet, stability is better. My experience with the RT43 tires was good and I am hoping that the RT45 tires are as good if not better.

Keep us updated on weather performance , handling , ride and rolling resistance . Hope they work for you .

I just had a set of RT45 tires put on my Hyundai this morning, previous tires were RT43. Overall these are very smooth and quiet, stability is better. My experience with the RT43 tires was good and I am hoping that the RT45 tires are as good if not better.
I would like to see/hear updates down the road. All new tires for the most part are smooth and quiet.
I have rt43’s on my accord and have no complaints so would most likely go with rt45 when the time comes

I had RT43 on Corolla (T) and IS250 on the rear (V or was it W/Y/Z), they work fine both but I wouldn't say they handle "great". For the price I can't complain, but I'd not just stick to them because they are famous, I'd buy whatever is a good deal for the right price and good enough stopping power.

I like trend pattern that is smooth and quiet, ideally those thin smooth looking trends that "blend in".

Have you noticed any immediate parallels to the 43? As in sidewall softness, or louder on bumps, things like that?

The Michelin Crossclimate 2, with its unique pattern, makes me shy away. A little too 'different' and for some reason, makes me think fuel economy would suffer. Give me the plain-jane Michelin Defender T+H over this every time!
View attachment 109169
My brother put a set on his Mecedes baby suv. Fuel economy dropped about 2 mpg but says they are great in the snow so depends on your needs.

The RT45 sits at second place (one point behind the much more expensive Michelin Defender T+H) in Consumer Reports' "all season" tire category. That said, there is some size overlap, and a few tires in their "all season SUV" category trounce everything in the regular all season category.

General RT43’s have been good tires on my Pontiac G5 GT except for one thing. They pick up Nails and Screws like a Magnet! All four tires have had to have Tire Plugs put in them. Six plugs total in 30,000 miles.

The RT45 sits at second place (one point behind the much more expensive Michelin Defender T+H) in Consumer Reports' "all season" tire category. That said, there is some size overlap, and a few tires in their "all season SUV" category trounce everything in the regular all season category.

I don't think CR has updated their testing for this category yet. It still shows RT43 (not RT45) as second place:

1714368710339.jpg

I'm also not sure if we can compare tires across categories due to the different size tested...

Last edited:
I have used quite a few sets of RT43's on about 5 or 6 different cars. Multiple successive sets on some. It seems like it must be at least a dozen years by now. I enjoyed the softer sidewall on a couple of those cars and didn't welcome it on one other. All tires were H speed rating models. I always wanted to try the T rated model, but they always seemed to be unavailable when I was buying. Perhaps the T was a bit better wearing at a slight cost of less wet/winter traction. I never seem to do great on tire wear, even though I'm a conservative driver for some time. Top mileage I ever got from RT43's was close to 30k. on one set. Others, more like 25k. I think that part of the high wear problem is our local roads. Mostly rather coarse and they keep them freshly tar and chipped.

Last Fall I got a new set of the RT45's on my Scion XD. Previous tires were two sets of RT43's. The first thing I picked up on, was the sidewalls are decidedly stiffer than the RT43. Turn in is quicker with the RT45. The XD is stiffly sprung with not a lot of travel, so it is a harsher ride in that car for certain. Even so, the XD has a lot of understeer for a sub compact. We only had two substantial snowfalls last winter, but I avoided driving the XD in either one. The RT43 always had better than average snow traction for a touring A/S, in my book. The tread on the RT45 appears a tad less aggressive, but that's hardly a measurement.

On my Scion XB2, I went to Falken Sincera SN250 at the same time, from multiple sets of RT43's. They boast of longer wear, which they likely have. Stiffer sidewalls and quicker turn in than the RT43. I did drive those in the snow a time or two and would say they're inferior in traction to the RT43/45. They did the job though.

I hope CR updates their testing soon. I see that the UHP AS category was recently updated. I think the "truck" tires were also updated as the CC2 shows up in those categories

Back