Wife left for Navy bootcamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were born as navy brats. She actually joined Navy Reserve and her reason was to have it as a structuring backbone and it will help her pay for school. She's going in RTC as AV but will probably come out of Pensacola as AE or AT.

Edit: I'm 22 and she is 19. She has an associates degree

Last edited:
Awesome !!!!

My wife and I are both ex USAF and no doubt its an honor and privilege to be a part of our military. The military opens a lot of doors even as a Navy Reservist. She will have lots of fun at boot camp and the experience will change her for the better.

Tell her the folks at BITOG say thank you for her service to our great nation.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
34.gif

I second that! My wife is a Navy Desert Storm Veteran, btw.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Awesome !!!!

My wife and I are both ex USAF and no doubt its an honor and privilege to be a part of our military. The military opens a lot of doors even as a Navy Reservist. She will have lots of fun at boot camp and the experience will change her for the better.

34.gif

+1

To both of you - Welcome to the Team!

While she's at Basic, be ready for anything. It could be a phone call at just about any time of day. Things are a lot more liberal than when I went thru (Army) Basic but it still starts off with tightly restricted days. Gradually things ease up and privileges granted.

You should have an address for her. I suggest you drop a letter to her often. While she may still have access to email, there is still something about a letter that you can hold and tuck in a pocket. It can be read and re-read whenever a morale boost is needed. If you run out of things to say, talk about the mundane things going on around the neighborhood, any pets, even mowing the lawn. When you're a little homesick, it's nice to know that home is still there. She may not be able to check email everyday but mail arrives 5 days a week. Hearing your name called at mail call was always a highlight of the day.

Good luck!

PM me - I am currently on Active Duty, but have been a reserve CO twice as a CDR (O-5)...I can go over some of the considerations.

Thank you both for your willingness to serve our country.

Amen on the mail. Nothing helps the day like a letter from home. Stick that sucker in your pocket and read and reread it. The others that didn't get a letter will always envy you. I know of some that write to random military personnel just so they can get a letter. One woman keeps herself busy making cookies to send to Irag and Afghanistan. She gets plenty of letters asking for more and special requests. I can see why though because she is a heck of a cook.

I commend her for serving! and you for being a Navy husband!!

Keep her spirit and motivation high and Keep reminding her that the training is temporary and it's the instructors' jobs to make life really difficult. It's how they weed out those who can't handle the new lifestyle.

Real paper letters from home feel really good, better than e-mail.

Ditto X2 on previous posts by folks comments on support for a loved one while away. Mail is SO important as is care packages. While all branches of our military have its quirks, if she is in the Naval Reserve, as with all reserve components, have a family support unit. Usually made up by spouses of military personel. Find her assigned unit and get involved a bit. Kids especially love this stuff. The elementary school where you live can get their students involved in a project if you are in a small town. Bottom line is stay in touch and communicate. Oh yeah, thanks for your families commitment. Every morning we did PT( Physical Training ) so why don't you commit to some PT every morning! Hoo-rah, do push ups!!!

Glad to hear she joined. She is sure to have one [censored] of a time, at least, according to my brother
smile.gif

The Navy actually has a neat little site set up for family members, detailing what your recruit can expect at boot camp
smile.gif

http://www.bootcamp.navy.mil/

Thank you everyone. She called me at 12:11AM EST saying that she arrived at RTC. I was half asleep but she also didnt sound like she was in a hurry, sounded pretty relaxed.

As for the letters, I'm going to write her everyday once I find out the address this week. And is there any other paperwork I need to complete while she is in boot camp?

On another note, while we were waiting at MEPS, the liaison officer told her that she's active duty for 22 weeks. Is that including boot camp and A-school?

Last edited:
Just know that we're working hard for her. All the best to her and thanks for her service.

Good Luck to her and you!! It's quite a sacrifice to give up several years of your youth.

THANKS!

That's about right for boot camp and A-school. Be glad you're getting A-school, not everyone does. During boot camp, be forewarned, her time is not her own, every waking hour, every moment is filled with something and her ability to call/txt/e-mail or write is severely constrained.

There is a purpose to that - immersion is the best way to learn the new approach to life and the values that the Navy wants to instill...but it's often hard for families to understand...it's like college...except that your professors yell at you, follow back to your room, give you multiple assignments and watch your every waking moment...and at 05:00 when it's time to begin a new day, there's no snooze button...

During the "crucible" in the last week, she will not even be sleeping, much less have time for communication.

Support her, send her notes (be careful about "care packages" - find out the rules first...). This will be a one-way deal...you support, she executes. That's it.

Finally, remind her to keep her eye on the goal - finishing boot camp and school. There will be times when the stress and pressure really make her question why she is doing this. Good. That's what they're designed to do; weed out those who are there for the benefits from those who have a desire to serve. Those who are doing this just for the benefits (college, pay, medical, e.g. Tri-care reserve select) will see how hard boot camp is, do a cost-benefit analysis...and then quit, because, frankly, they don't need the aggravation.

I am glad to see that category of recruit gone...service to your country is harder than most people realize...it's not for everyone and that's why the benefit package is good. If you really want to do this, I mean really want it for yourself, then it's easy to get through the drills, the PT, the ridiculous rules, the stress...all of it, because in the end, you get to serve in the greatest organization in the world - the United States Navy.

Good luck. Be proud of her. Thanks for choosing to serve, and feel free to PM me with questions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YZF_Eric
Thank you everyone. She called me at 12:11AM EST saying that she arrived at RTC. I was half asleep but she also didnt sound like she was in a hurry, sounded pretty relaxed.

As for the letters, I'm going to write her everyday once I find out the address this week. And is there any other paperwork I need to complete while she is in boot camp?

That's the last time she'll sound relaxed for a while...she will be doing the paperwork to enroll you in DEERS as a dependant (hope she has a copy of your marriage certificate...)....as well as all of the other paperwork required.

Tell her to keep her eye on the goal - graduation. Tell her you're proud of her. Listen to her vent. Send her letters, real letters written on paper. Be supportive.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back