Wierd roof rack / carrier trend

Like this....

Attachments

• aeWX3oL.jpg
    aeWX3oL.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 18
roof racks are handy! I find if you put real weight up there, the factory racks are not rated for that much weight. ive made countless runs for sheets of plywood, lumber, relocations, and family trips which used the racks. Bikes went up there too. they can add a lot of utility to a vehicle.

however, I’ve had to augment some of mine, or rebuild them with altogether, to handle more weight safely.

Last edited:
They are useful for long trips if you have a waterproof bag(s) or items that won’t fit in car.

I went cross country(half way) in a Honda FIT with one with 3 people and that to carry our gear.

Yep every CrossTrek around here has one.

It's basically aspirational, like cooking shows. Everyone wants to do it (or use it in this case), fewer than 1% actually do.

Yep every CrossTrek around here has one.

It's basically aspirational, like cooking shows. Everyone wants to do it (or use it in this case), fewer than 1% actually do.
Or pickup trucks for personal use spending 99% of life carrying around air in bed…

They are useful for long trips if you have a waterproof bag(s) or items that won’t fit in car.

I went cross country(half way) in a Honda FIT with one with 3 people and that to carry our gear.
A cargo box does come in handy.

1688774164626.jpg

But, when I'm done using it, ie after a road trip, or after the ski season, I spend 5 minutes and remove it from the crossbars.

Those big baskets are because dumb people who couldn’t be caught dead in a station wagon or minivan now are realizing that they actually need to carry stuff, and these SUVs are sometimes cool looking but usually a waste of space (unless it’s a suburban).

Putting stuff up top can be smart. We have a roofrack even on our van. I remove the cross bar for aerodynamic reasons when we don’t need them, but they’re sure useful for skis and whatnot.

Leaving some basket up there to cruise around is an aerodynamic nightmare.

The local subie dealer installs a package on crosstreks that includes the roof basket, a little suspension lift, black wheels and A/T tires and a Full size spare in the basket. They're all over.

Reactions: D60
I am thinking this is more about the Roof basket type things.

An empty kayak carrier would be normal because you dont take kayak to work with you in the morning or remove the rack every day.

I do see plenty that seem just for looks... MPG penalty as well as wind noise.. makes me wonder why, but plenty of dumber stuff to scratch your head over nowadays.

Guy who bought my subaru skid plates showed up in a fully primered crosstrek with a basket on it bigger than the entire roof.. with gas can and spare tire up there...
yes the regular size tire that fits in the car. Think he might have been working towards the zombie apocalypse look.
Sounds like he is trying to look like an overlander. That’s the new craze as well.

Reactions: D60
When I bought my Mazda CX 5 every one on the lot had the dealer installed roof rails. I asked the salesperson about it and he said that they just looked better with the rails. And I have to admit that they do,

However, the rails alone are worthless. You have to add the optional cross bars in order to tie anything down to the rails. And I don't have them. But roof racks on hot hatches ? Seems like an affectation.

I’ve been using a roof box seasonally for at least 15 years. I XC ski multiple times per week, and this is the best solution for me. The skis are 81” long, and often have sticky wax on them. Even in a large SUV, 81” skis would have to be slid over/under seats, get in passengers way, slide around and get sticky wax on my upholstery.

I’m also a huge fan of modularity. I can start with a 40 MPG car that’s fun to drive, but add a roof box, trailer, etc. only when needed.

I could see a basket being useful with the associated waterproof “bag”.

IMG_8469.jpeg

My old E36 with my best automotive purchase ever - an Aluma AE58 trailer.

IMG_0200.jpeg

Got a large cargo carrier for our Jeep we place on for longer family trips. When it’s two kids and two large labs laying in the back it’s a must. We fit several suitcases and bags up there, kids toys, etc. it’s actually very sturdy and quiet. We obviously take it off after the trip, Jeep wouldn’t fit in garage anyway.

The basket ? Not practical for our use, tie things down to it and they get wet and way more wind noise. Of course our trips are Highway not over landing.

I ski once or twice a week.
I put a roof rack on BMW, then a ski carrier. As soon as I get home, it is off. I cannot live with any extra noise. Plus, it takes 5min at most.
On ATlas, we put a roox box, 16cu ft. Once we finish the road trip, it is off immediately.

I drive a 2 door coupe and my trunk space is tiny. Having a cargo box up top is essential for any sort of outdoorsy activity or travelling. No point in ever taking it off because you never know when you might need the extra space.

Since my vehicle is a coupe, it doesn't have any factory mounts, so the aftermarket roof bars are sort that sit on the roof and clips to the weatherstripping on the side. That personally terrifies me a bit because I can't see weatherstripping being that sturdy. So although the manufacturer claims it's good for 160 lbs, I don't want to put anywhere near that sort of weight up there.

Hi guys,

Not that I didnt do strange things with my cars in my 20's, but whats with the strange roof top carrier trend the past few years?

Never anything in them.....and usually on modified cars.

I have a Subaru and wouldnt consider one now because I see so many slammed VWs and Hondas with them......odd
Trend’s been ongoing since the late 90s. Most people are followers, not leaders. Hence the trend.

Yesterday On the road Northside of Indy to Cbus OH about 200 miles each way I saw plenty of roof top bags. That seemed to be more prevalent in real world vacation travel than boxes this time

Would go that route if we needed additional space for luggage

Yesterday On the road Northside of Indy to Cbus OH about 200 miles each way I saw plenty of roof top bags. That seemed to be more prevalent in real world vacation travel than boxes this time

Would go that route if we needed additional space for luggage
My preference is the hitch basket, but you need a receiver for that. I have an awesome solid plastic tote for all my camping gear, minus the tent, that fits in it and has strap guides molded in. Less MPG loss than the box on top. You just have to be more careful backing up and picking parking spots.

Back