Wi-Fi router: reliable, long-lived, low-3-figure price?

I want the Wi-Fi router equivalent of a Toyota Hilux. Something I can set up once and never have to touch it again for like 10 years – no mysterious Wi-Fi drops, no needing to reboot it, etc. – even if it's subject to more than normal heat, dust, etc.

Happy to consider commercial/industrial options if necessary, even at the expense of ease-of-use.

Don't care about range or speed because AFAICT even the worst options these days have more than enough for the setup and usage in question. Smallish building, high-demand devices all use Ethernet, never more than one device streaming 4k content at a time (usually zero), range extender covers the Wi-Fi dead spots.

I'm not about to spend thousands on this, but I'm willing to spend a bit more than the typical consumer-grade stuff costs.

Any suggestions for this priority set?

I've had a number of routers over the years from most of the major manufacturers. The best experience in terms of reliability (not having to mess around with it) and performance (coverage), was the Google Nest mesh wifi system. Worked better than router+extender set ups and you can easily scale the network up/down. Even one of the little modules on it's own had excellent range.

Last edited:
Depends on your technical knowledge for initial setup. For the average person that wants a simple "router" (AP+switch+router) I would steer people towards Asus or Linksys (Asus being the preferred). If you want simplicity and the ability to use mesh to cover a larger area, the Nest WiFi system is hard to beat in performance/simplicity. If you want something that takes more initial setup but has the highest reliability, Ubiquiti UniFi products. I have two Ubiquiti UniFi APs that have been running 24/7 since 2015. Only reboots were firmware updates and power outages.

Thanks, folks.

Based on what I'm reading and hearing so far, definitely gravitating toward the UniFi stuff. I'm not an expert but I know more than the average person and I'll happily learn more if necessary for the right product.

Isn't Ubiquiti basically Apple Wi-Fi alumni in their own company?

Thanks, folks.

Based on what I'm reading and hearing so far, definitely gravitating toward the UniFi stuff. I'm not an expert but I know more than the average person and I'll happily learn more if necessary for the right product.

Isn't Ubiquiti basically Apple Wi-Fi alumni in their own company?
Pretty much. UniFi is pretty simple really, too many people think it's more involved than it really is.

I bought three of these a year ago - yes the refurbished for $33/each back when I got ‘em. Great WiFi coverage over a three story Victorian house. They Eero do a support/security update about every three months in the middle of the night and it resets itself after. I’ve never had to mess with it.

I want the Wi-Fi router equivalent of a Toyota Hilux. Something I can set up once and never have to touch it again for like 10 years – no mysterious Wi-Fi drops, no needing to reboot it, etc. – even if it's subject to more than normal heat, dust, etc.

Happy to consider commercial/industrial options if necessary, even at the expense of ease-of-use.

Don't care about range or speed because AFAICT even the worst options these days have more than enough for the setup and usage in question. Smallish building, high-demand devices all use Ethernet, never more than one device streaming 4k content at a time (usually zero), range extender covers the Wi-Fi dead spots.

I'm not about to spend thousands on this, but I'm willing to spend a bit more than the typical consumer-grade stuff costs.

Any suggestions for this priority set?
NETGEAR? Basically plug-n-play

Unifi. It's very simple and reliable. Just don't always rush the updates.
You really SHOULD be "touching" your router. Any good manufacturer provides firmware updates for security.
There's a lot of "bad" stuff out there.

For unifi you have a few options
the express($149) is a wifi 6AP with basic router functions (no IDS/IPS)

The cloud gateway ultra($129) has IDS/IPS system and you would use a separate AP with it.
AP's run from $99 to $249 I'd recommend the 6LR or 7pro, the 6plus at 129 is a good value. 6-lite is 99 the but the 6-plus is worth $30 more.

the UDR (unifi dream router) $199 a wifi 6 AP with router IPS/IDS upto 500MBIT

you can read all about them on their site if you have any questions feel free to tag me back in here.

The CGU is a more powerful system and can sustain a 1gbit connection with the IPS/IDS turned on.

If you need 2.5GBIT-10GBIT you would need a UDM pro or PRO SE which is $379 and up.

Unifi. It's very simple and reliable. Just don't always rush the updates.
You really SHOULD be "touching" your router. Any good manufacturer provides firmware updates for security.
There's a lot of "bad" stuff out there.

This is true but you could turn on auto updates and not "touch it"

CGU on top
UDM pro (V1) on bottom
Yeah it needs dusted.
Although I've since that pic I added 2x 10gbit sfp+ adapters to the UDM pro.
1713376426290.jpg

Last edited:
For unifi you have a few options
the express is a wifi 6AP with basic router functions (no IDS/IPS)

The cloud gateway ultra($129) has IDS/IPS system and you would use a separate AP with it.
AP's run from $99 to $249 I'd recommend the 6LR or 7pro

the UDR (unifi dream router) $199 a wifi 6 AP with router IPS/IDS upto 500MBIT

you can read all about them on their site if you have any questions feel free to tag me back in here.

This is true but you could turn on auto updates and not "touch it"
I do not recommend the UDR. The processor is too underpowered. I have one at a site and the max throughput I've seen is around 500-600mbps with all "extras" turned off. It has been reliable though.

I do not recommend the UDR. The processor is too underpowered. I have one at a site and the max throughput I've seen is around 500-600mbps with all "extras" turned off. It has been reliable though.
Fully Agreed The UDR is anemic Since I mentioned that in my post. Definitely Wouldn't recommend it for over 500MBIT connection. And since the speed is going up its not too future proof.
Back when it was $99 it was a good value. not so much now. They should have upgraded the processor when they doubled the price (after it left beta)

The Cloud Gateway Ultra specs 1.5GBIT IDS/IPS which should be fine since the switch on it is capped at 1GBIT backbone even though it has a 2.5GBIT WAN.

Edit: fix wrong word.

I 2nd (or 3rd?) Unifi, which is better than consumer grade, I've seen the term "prosumer" used and that does a good job describing it IMHO.

I'd go with what @Rand recommended with the CGU and one of the standalone AP's. I wouldn't use TP-Link if you paid me, that stuff is not only just consumer grade, but if you've caught my recent threads like the Camaro Dragon one, there are some considerable risks in buying gear from a Chinese national.

Lots of folks in Infosec use Ubiquiti and Unifi at home because it's a good balance of price/performance/security. I'm currently using a UDM SE and have been very impressed with it so far. Handles my 1.5/1Gbit fibre connection with all services on without issue.

Last edited:
I have a Netgear Nighthawk RAX42v2, which replaced an old Linksys. My internet is 1gig fiber. My house is approx 2500 sq. ft. The router is not centrally located in the house because reasons, but everyone in the house is able to get several hundred gbps download speeds. This is enough speed that nobody complains, not even the gamer.

I dislike Ubiquiti/Unifi. Used to be a big fan but too many problems, lousy support, confusing product lines, horrible website, and the company seemingly pivots on their product strategy every year. Plus quality is hit or miss. Some products hold up others have absurd failure rates.

My friend who I work with on IT stuff has been deploying Aruba Instant On for APs and switches and loves it.

I’m probably going to order some Aruba Instant On stuff myself for my home next month. I’m just trying to decide between AP22s or AP25s for the access points or if I should wait til the WiFi 7 Arubas come out.

For my router I’ll probably use a random PC running OPNsense. If you don’t want to run a PC as your router, Mikrotik makes some solid routers and switches but I’ve never tried their WiFi products.

I have a pile of used Ubiquiti APs here if you really want them despite my anti-Ubiquiti rant… I’ll give you a good deal I just have to test them first lol.

Reactions: Y_K
I dislike Ubiquiti/Unifi. Used to be a big fan but too many problems, lousy support, confusing product lines, horrible website, and the company seemingly pivots on their product strategy every year. Plus quality is hit or miss. Some products hold up others have absurd failure rates.

My friend who I work with on IT stuff has been deploying Aruba Instant On for APs and switches and loves it.

I’m probably going to order some Aruba Instant On stuff myself for my home next month. I’m just trying to decide between AP22s or AP25s for the access points or if I should wait til the WiFi 7 Arubas come out.

For my router I’ll probably use a random PC running OPNsense. If you don’t want to run a PC as your router, Mikrotik makes some solid routers and switches but I’ve never tried their WiFi products.

I have a pile of used Ubiquiti APs here if you really want them despite my anti-Ubiquiti rant… I’ll give you a good deal I just have to test them first lol.
I've had good luck with Aruba Instant On as a "value" oriented offering, no complaints from me here. My UDM is the first Unifi device I've ever bought. So far, so good but far from the sort of track record I have with Cisco.

Back