Why three decimal points on gasoline pumps

Not sure if this was discussed earlier but why are there still three decimal points on the price of gasoline? It seems that any new pumps installed should just have two decimals which is standard for currency. For example gasoline might be 4.123 per gallon instead of 4.12 . It seems that one thousandth of a dollar is a bit ridiculous for something that costs three to almost six dollars currently. Is this already occurring in your area? Thoughts and preferences?

Last edited:
All gas was priced in pennies plus 0.9 cents. Psychological thing. 29.9 cents per gallon seemed significantly less than 30 cents per, even though it was effectively the same.
Now that gas is $4 or $5 a gallon it doesn't really matter, but the custom has carried over. I don't think I've seen anything other than a 9 in the 10ths digit, but if you have, let me know.

All gas was priced in pennies plus 0.9 cents. Psychological thing. 29.9 cents per gallon seemed significantly less than 30 cents per, even though it was effectively the same.
Now that gas is $4 or $5 a gallon it doesn't really matter, but the custom has carried over. I don't think I've seen anything other than a 9 in the 10ths digit, but if you have, let me know.
You are correct about the 9 issue. ( it’s actually in the one thousandths position). Here is a shot I copied from a posting by @alarmguy

82D17D87-C0F8-468E-9329-5A14CE340164.jpeg

The pricing in Canada is just as ridiculous but in a different way. Gasoline is sold in cents per liter and even includes one tenth of a cent. Here is a shot from an Esso station. This worked OK when gas was less than a dollar per liter but it’s been over a dollar for years. The photo shows regular is 159.9 cents per liter. Once again, the last digit is a nine. This is especially hilarious when you consider Canada got rid of pennies years ago. When Canada went metric in the late seventies, gasoline in Alberta was 17 cents per liter.

9686CD1B-0DD9-4EBC-88E3-942564DD1F8F.jpeg

Last edited:
25 years ago, in Ohio, I saw a Sunoco offer 87 octane for $1.399 and 86 for $1.398. If I were a betting man the 86 was secretly 87.

I recall gasoline hitting $1.00 per gallon in 1990 in Houston. Maybe the weights and measures folks in government were hoping it would come back down.

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen anything other than a 9 in the 10ths digit, but if you have, let me know.
Years ago during a cross-country trip (USA) I saw sixes in the thousandths column. EX: $1.256/gallon.
I was told the "tenths of a cent" column was used by legislators as part of the tax rates chosen.

In Sweden, where gasoline was essentially triple what it was here-as well as the rest of Europe...EXCEPT for Hungary, I saw a dockside gas pump with the term "Ore/l." enameled into the meter's face. An ore is 1/100th of a Krone.
My pal saw me reading the pump and said, "That was a long time ago".

In ye olde times if gas was 10 cents a gallon a penny increase was a lot, around that time .gov decided to charge a fraction of a penny tax as well

Because wholesale fuels are priced to thousandths.

Some of the whole sale taxes, go that far as well.

Not to mention... If you're paying cash in Canada and the pump stops at $85.07, there are no pennies so they stick you for the extra $.03!!! ;)

Actually in that scenario it would be $85.05 and the rounding only happens if you're paying cash.

I once told my friend (a major cheapskate) thet he could pay cash anytime they would round down and then use a card anytime they would round up. He was so happy, it probably saves him like $2.50 per year or something.

Back