Why SHOULDN'T my dad get a BMW 128i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
tell your dad to look at a 2006 tsx very nice car handles well very reliable and will cost less to own after warranty than the 138i. Only BMW i would buy these days is the 335d

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Thanks for the replies!
cheers3.gif
I'll try to address as much as possible, without quoting so the post doesn't get too long.

Dad is in his 50s and has a comfortable job. He's usually very practically minded and has been very financially responsible all his life.

Gently remind him that he has been financially responsible all his life and raised a family and deserves a car that will continually put a smile on his face when he drives it.

I waited until my early 60s to make a similar move and should have done it earlier.

I was going to recommend S2000, Miata, or G35/G37 until I read the rest of the posts.

I think your dad wants a luxury car with a good "name brand" than a hard core, or even a soft core, sport car. Otherwise, there is no way someone would pick a TSX over an IS250 or consider them in the same comparison.

If he tried and like the 128i, then you got the answer. He should be trying more european luxury brand like Volvo, Mercedes, Audi, or Porsche. Not that it has to be RWD sport car but something that would put a similar smile on his face.

Thanks again, all.

The TSX is out of the running. In automatic form, it's neither good enough nor cheap enough; we both agree that if he's going to sacrifice fun for cost and reliability, he should just get an appliance and not try to cut it up the middle.

Incidentally, here's a question: Are Honda's modern automatic transmissions as shaky as I've been hearing? We had been toying with the idea of an Accord as well.

Have you guys considered the '09 Nissan Maxima. Pretty attractive and powerful car. The only thing that I'm iffy about is the CVT.

Another vehicle to consider is the G37 sedan. The '09 has more power and a 7 speed automatic.

He drove the new Maxima. He said it feels like too much of an "old man's car" (big, sluggish, soft, etc).

G37 is too big and way out of the price range, all told. $32k for the 128i was pushing it already.

Are Honda's modern automatic transmissions as shaky as I've been hearing? We had been toying with the idea of an Accord as well.

Honda had design issue with the V6 5sp automatic transmission until they switch from a 3 shafts to 4 shafts design. In 2004 they detune the engine so that it reduce the wear on the transmission, but the real fix is when they switch to 4 shaft design in about 2005.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Spartuss

Better handling, more powerful, more luxurious...

Well, the Impreza WRX is more powerful than the 128i. The Impreza is also lighter.

But he said the $17K Impreza so that leaves the wrx out. And comparing the websites the base soobie engine is 170 hp compared to a 128i 6 cyl 300+ hp, even the wrx is 265 hp , so which is more powerful?

He drove the new Maxima. He said it feels like too much of an "old man's car" (big, sluggish, soft, etc).

G37 is too big and way out of the price range, all told. $32k for the 128i was pushing it already.

G37 is too big but he's considering an Accord?

Apparently. Go figure.

Of course, it doesn't matter any more, because he made his choice tonight: a nice red 128i, lightly used (5k miles) but with premium package and a few other options, for the same price as a new base one. Not the route I would have gone, but he seems happy. :]

Before he went back to the BMW dealership, he drove a Subaru Legacy 2.5i. I was going to post about that because, if he couldn't afford the 128i, or lived further north, he would have picked the Subie in a heartbeat. It's a truly exceptional combination of engineering, usability, drivability, and economy. Too few cars offer good dynamics and fine engineering with practicality, and without luxury fluff. I'm a big Subaru fan now.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help. Your input was valuable!
cheers3.gif

Judging by the smile on his face, he loved it on the test drive.
wink.gif

BMW's do that to people. It first happened to me when I was about 18 and I'm in my 50's. I've owned a bunch of them over the years.

He is a bit apprehensive about that, though, so we did address it. Here's the argument: The car is so well sorted and balanced that there will actually be more cases than not in which it has more traction because it's RWD. The only potential problem would be standing starts in heavy snow, especially because the car has an open differential.

Every BMW I've owned has been great in the snow when equipped with real snowtires. I was driving on a mountain road once years ago that the authorities closed for a blizzard while I was on it. The cops at the barricade were shocked when I drove up behind them in my 2002 and asked to be let out!

I don't know if it's the balance, the torque, or just a good design (traction control helps too) but a BMW with snowtires and a 50# bag of sand from the hardware store in the trunk is all but unstoppable in snow.

But honestly, that's only a problem a few days out of the year at most, and the nature of my dad's work permits him to be able to work from home when he has to anyway.

Now I've gone to have a look: This is a 2 door, basically looks very much like my Dodge Colt, 1995, a vehicle that I just love. But the BMW will be much more refined and powerful, and excellent pick, congratulations. My Colt comes in at 2000 lb, and has a 1.5l 12 valve 95hp 4, which is almost exactly the same as my old 1973 BMW 2002 . The 2002 is a classic car, and the difference between the Colt and the BMW is very little, the Colt has FWD, and the BMW has RWD, but with engines of that little power, it makes very little difference. I like the shifter on the Colt better, but that's because it's a Mitsubishi, and the whole vehicle is made in Japan. Also the BMW was VERY prone to rust, but I think the newer steels and corrosion proofing have improved. I actually have 3 Colts, all 1995, my wife drives the Subaru, unless I'm going far, in which case she'll lend me it.
Be sure to send your vehicle in for an annual oil spray.

Driving the Bimmers knocked the Lexus out of the running for him, because it's slightly more expensive and not as good to drive.

What do you mean by not as good to drive? Just a lack of power, or something more?

Since he was looking at a used tsx, I'd suggest you test drive a used IS350. I got one a couple months ago, and love it. Its just like the IS250 he drove, but with 50% more horsepower (300+ instead of 200+).

It's not about the power. The Lexus just isn't the kind of driver's car that the BMW is. It's not as sharp, not as communicative, not as alive. Even the 3-series has it soundly beaten in those departments; the 1-series eats it alive.

A lot of it comes down to sportiness. The Lexus is a car that wafts you along but has some sport cred. The BMWs are much more about the dynamics and do a much better job of getting you into the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back