why not dsl with 2 wires???

Status
Not open for further replies.
dsl line-in part is indeed 2 wires (phone line, off of a different frequency/band)

ethernet operates on twisted pairs and currently, if you are on 10/100base-T mode, you are utilising 2 twist pairs (4 out of the 8 wires total). If you are utilising gigabit ethernet, all 4 pairs (8 out of 8 total) will be utilised fully.

In other words: you are dealing different formats/diffent kinds of signals on 2 different sides of the interface here.

Q.

Pretty much. Basically, computers don't speak telephone and vice versa. Modems translate telephone to computer.

10Mbit uses four wires, 100Mbit uses 8, as does gigabit. The difference between CAT5 and CAT5E (gigabit) is the # of twists per foot on the wire.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
10Mbit uses four wires, 100Mbit uses 8, as does gigabit. The difference between CAT5 and CAT5E (gigabit) is the # of twists per foot on the wire.

Hi Overkill,

I stand corrected RE: 10/100B-T uses 4wires (2pairs):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10BASE-T

1000base-T uses all 4 pairs (8-wires) to complete the bi-directional configuration (making it full-duplex).

Also: if you stuck with legacy wirings with CAT5, don't bother trying gigabit ethernet for sometimes, depending on crosstalks and noise (which is dependent on the run, the environment it operates on, etc.), it may fail to negotiate (between the 2 devices, more prevalent on PC's NIC to switches) up 1 level to 1000b-T, and will either shuts down the NIC, causing the NIC to go up and down (flip/flops between 100B and 1000B) due to negotiation failure.

CAT 5e (350MHz or better) or CAT 6 would be your sure bet when it comes to 1000Base-T, although not always for it still somewhat dependent on the quality of the terminations and more.

Q-TD

And the length of the run.

Forgot there were three grades of 100Base-T over copper, only one of which requires all four pair. It seems to be common practise for 100Mbit to be wired with all four pair anyways.

Comically, I've found it's hard NOT to buy CAT5E cable, as it's become the predominantly available cable (other than CAT3 of course).

I have also found that it's far easier to actually GET 100Mbit full duplex speeds. If anybody else has tested the throughput on the consumer-grade (non-enterprise stuff) Gigabit over copper adaptors I am sure they were as disappointed as I was. The old 3COM 905B and 905C NIC's could very much DO 100Mbit full-duplex in operation when connected to a good switch. This does not seem to be the case for the Gigabit adaptors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back