RJ-45 connectors - getting it right every time

I found some bad RJ-45 connectors I installed over the past few months. They are Platinum Ezex44 passthrough connectors. I am using a Platinum tools crimper.

I was smoothing out the 8 wires, getting them in the right order by color, trimming the end so it was straight across, then pushing the wires into the connector assuming if the wires were smoothed out and arranged in the right order they would go into the RJ-45 properly. But some of the wires did not end up properly in the RJ-45 connector.

I was finding out using my Fluke cable verifier. If there was an issue then I wasted the RJ-45 connector which are about $2 each.

So now I have enhanced my process to double check the wires sticking out of the passthrough RJ45 to make sure everything is proper before crimping.

Any other suggestions?

Maybe get one of those benchtop magnifying glasses with the ring light?

I got the 100 pack of generic connectors on ebay, couldn't fathom paying $2 each. What's the benefit?

I strip the cable back at least 1.5 inches. I untwist the wires as far as I can. I straighten them out by running them between my fingers. I pull down on the cable jacket if needed to untwist the wires a bit more so they'll stay in the right order.

Reading glasses are a must along with good light. Make sure the wires are still twisted as far up into the RJ-45 as possible. It doesn't take much distance of the wires running parallel for them to start cross-talking.

Did I mention I am typically on a ladder 20' a telephone pole? Trying to hold on to the ladder with one hand.
That's challenging. The worst environment I've ever had to install ends was outside on a stepladder with a temperature of about 0F.

Make sure the wires are still twisted as far up into the RJ-45 as possible.

Factory-made patch cables don't have any visible twists in the connector. So if you untwist to the end of the cable jacket, then trim the wires to the appropriate length (assuming you aren't using a pass-thru connector) so the cable jacket goes as far up into the connector as possible, you've installed the connector the same way as they do in a factory. The maximum untwisted length of wire in this case is less than 1/2" and probably closer to 3/8". (The wire channel at the top of the connector above where the cable jacket should end is so narrow I doubt you could get any twists in there).

If you're one of these people that strips the jacket back a bunch and then just inserts loose wires into the connector...please, just get some RJ45 keystone jacks and use factory made patch cables. Or use the pass-thru connectors.

1700362991486.png

Last edited:
Factory-made patch cables don't have any visible twists in the connector.
Yes, that's true.

What I'm saying is keep the twists as close to the crimp as you can, then push the jacket up into the connector. You'll get an end that looks like the "Correct" version you posted.

I've seen ends that look like the "Incorrect" version above and they are susceptible to cross-talk.

i do simple phone connectors + have the tool. always wondered if the many wires in an RJ 45 need to be in a certain place so the connections are the same on both ends? i always buy extra premade RJ45 cables as they are cheep + it seems the "clip" that locks them in varies in quality, broken clips are the main issue as i insert + remove them often!

always wondered if the many wires in an RJ 45 need to be in a certain place so the connections are the same on both ends?

Not only do they need to be the same on both ends (unless you want a crossover cable), they need to be arranged so that a signal isn't split across two pairs.

I am almost always plugging one end with a RJ-45 connector into an outdoor device. No room for almost anything but a crimped RJ-45
connector. I plan on adding more outdoor surge protectors but they don't have room for anything more than a crimped RJ-45 connector.

The Platnium Ezex44 RJ-45 connector are passthrough so I untwist back to the outside insulation and push the cable into the connector as far as it will go. So basically there is not a lot of wire between the end of the outer insulation and the crimp.

I am almost always plugging one end with a RJ-45 connector into an outdoor device. No room for almost anything but a crimped RJ-45
connector. I plan on adding more outdoor surge protectors but they don't have room for anything more than a crimped RJ-45 connector.

The Platnium Ezex44 RJ-45 connector are passthrough so I untwist back to the outside insulation and push the cable into the connector as far as it will go. So basically there is not a lot of wire between the end of the outer insulation and the crimp.

Maybe get one of those benchtop magnifying glasses with the ring light?

I got the 100 pack of generic connectors on ebay, couldn't fathom paying $2 each. What's the benefit?
The connectors I use are shielded, handle CAT6 and POE.

Even the $2.00 RJ-45 connectors I am using do not handle the POE++ I am using for some devices (typically there is a POE switch involved).

I have some other ones for that. But have not tried them.

Even a lot of patch cables don't say if they handle POE++.

So are you putting the connections on solid core cable, and then putting them in a tight space that may not be respecting the minimum bend radius of the cable?

I've had more issues keeping the wires in correct order on the passthrough connectors than on the old school non passthrough. They seem to shift more easily, on the other hand, its easy enough to check them. I had a customer that had bought hours of service from my company, and wanted to use the time rather than get a refund for unused time. I got to spend several days making patch cables. Pretty expensive cables for that customer, but I got lots of experience making a good cable. (we tested every one with an old fluke dsp1000)

I have made literally 1,000's of rj45 connections over the last 20 years. At this point I have about a 99% success rate.

Strip back the outer insulation about 1 inch, bend back the pairs gently, and cut away any rip cord or dividers. Next orient the cable so that orange is to the left and brown is to the right. Then untwist the pairs completely back to the jacket, straighten each conductor (easiest against the rounded edge of a tool). Orient the conductors in the correct order, from left to right, holding them tightly and keeping them in a nice straight row. When complete, cut them in a straight line so they are all the same length.(you'll have to cut them to the correct length for the connector, or leave them long for feed through plugs.)
Next, while holding the conductors firmly in the correct order feed them into the connector, contacts facing up. Double check the orientation, then crimp.

The jacket should be in as far as possible, and fully contacted by the crimped strain relief. The conductors should be all the way to the end of the connector shell, and not protruding past the connectors edge for feed through.

Don't get me started on CAT6A, shielded connectors, load bars, bonded pairs, Ethercon.

Back