Why is rotella hated by some?

I've heard two older guys (one a mechanic and another a OTR trucker) in real life tell me to avoid rotella. I'm a fan of it because its consistently around $22/gallon at walmart. Anyway both of them said it should be avoided, one said its gritty when you rub it on your fingers after an oil change (ive never personally experienced this), Valvoline is better etc.

and then theres some posts on here about avoiding rotella (in any grade)

is there a reason for the rotella hate?

I can understand the hate against boutique oils for the price but ive never heard or read anyone hating valvoline or some of the other brands..

Irrational hatred for something is corrosive to the vessel that contains it. In this case an oil jug.

1689625830434.png

Opinions vary. It’s really the only oil my dad will use in his rig he is hesitant to use other brands but does occasionally. I’ve done every oil change on the truck and never once felt “grit” maybe that guy had metal in his engine or something or just is making something up because he doesn’t like it or is mad it’s always sold out.

Rotella 5w-40 is the only oil I ran in my Tacoma that it consumed.... and that was around 150k miles (at 297k today). Otherwise it's been Mobil 1, Mobil Conventional, and some Pennzoil Platinum with no consumption @ 10k OCI. I don't hate Rotella (used lots in the diesel).

Is Rotella having the additive sediment in the bottom of the container like Pennzoil?

idk, T6 is in a dark blue container which makes it kinda hard. I've shined a flashlight in there and I didn't see any additive fallout.. but that was one fresh gallon jugs, not something sitting for months or years.

Last edited:
Unscientific survey of walking many job sites with heavy equipment seems to indicate Rotella is very popular with those actually running said equipment. Well, there are jugs on the ground. Maybe there throwing it away its so bad :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Rotella/Penzoil/QS - all from Shell PLC. Do you need to hate them all?

Personally I prefer Mobil or Chevron - purely because there US companies. Shell is Netherlands. My choice there is 100% political - buy from the home team.

I dont put much stock in anecdotal verbal conversations like that.

I put 6.5 qts of SM Rotella 5w40, and 2 quarts of Total Quartz 5w40 in my 1UR-FE. The Rotella was leftover about 8 years old from an older 2005 Subaru Legacy turbo I owned briefly. My engine loves it but i've only put about 150 miles since then. Smooth and quiet running. Will do a UOA once i hit 6k miles, and check for consumption every 1k.

Well, I have been running Shell Rotella T in a 68 427 Corvette with the original engine and our 65 4-4-2 with original engine.
So I trust it with some special cars.
Full disclosure, I am using a high zinc Castrol oil now, but I had zero problems with the Rotella T 15-40.

I put R T6 5-40 in my 22’ Ram Cummins at the first oil change. Just put a little over 2K miles on it towing a 7K TT in Northern New Mexico and across Texas with the temperature up to 106 degrees, 70+ mph and it didn’t burn a drop of oil. I chose the Rotella because of price and availability. It’s also recommended by the manufacturer of my vehicle.

Back