Why is QSUD FS the bargain among the name brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find QSUD FS as the lowest price of all brands except Super Tech at Walmart and also at Pep Boys and Advance. In fact, I picked up a 5 qt. jug of 5w-30 with a Purolator filter for $28 and I had a $15 off of any purchase card that Pep Boys mailed me. What's the scoop?

For every Tide, there is a Gain.
SOPUS positions Quaker State products at a lower price tier than their flagship Pennzoil brand. Formula Shell is on a little lower price tier and its distribution tends to be limited to pay to play warehouse type retailers, although Menards stocks it around here.
If you compare quantifiable things like add packs and cold performance, QSUD is the equal of any other OTS 5W-30.
It's priced at a lower level for those who don't quite feel like popping for an extra three or four dollars for M1 or PP.
The price tier at which QSUD is offered is more a matter of marketing than it is of product quality. SOPUS wold prefer to keep the value buyers in the house, rather than have them turn to ST or MSS.
The guy who pays a few bucks more for M1 or PP feels like he's also getting a few bucks more in quality while the guy who grabs that jug of QSUD feels like he's gotten a deal on a full syn labeled oil for a few bucks less.
Either way, the buyer is getting a quality oil.

Lately, I've mainly been using QSUD due to the price. The price of other synthetics keeps creeping up closer to $30 at Walmart and that's no bueno.

I've thought about buying the stuff myself, my car takes 9 quarts of synthetic and I'm getting tired of spending the extra money on Mobil 1 or some other higher priced oil, if QS is a good oil, I'm going to give it a go.

I've read some VOA's on it and it looks pretty solid. I've read some stuff on it and no one has anything bad to say about it. I've seen some tests on it compared to the top oils and it does fine. I suppose it should be good for 5-7k mile change intervals without any problem.

It goes for $22.00 (five quart jug) at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: LotI
PQIA Results
Looks great to me.

Looks a whole lot like Penzoil Platinum...but for less money. I don't see how you can go wrong with this oil.

A couple times a year Advance auto will have a sale on QSUD & filter for $20-$22.
I've got 6 oci from last time I saw sale, I grabbed pricier cartridge filters that my friends can use, driveworks, but looked good.

i used the QSUD in a corvette for several oil changes and was very happy with it. I typically don't buy shell products, but i bought a ton of it a few years back for 2$ a quart. that was a great bargain.

My 2009 Civic DX-G used to run as smooth as butter on whatever conventional oil from dealer/quick lube/independent garage. Now it runs smoother than butter on QSUD 5w20.

Currently running PP in my Accord - and I'm happy with it.
Originally that wasn't the plan, I was planning on buying QSUD when I went to Walmart. Unfortunately to my dismay I was unable to find a QSUD 5 qt jug that hadn't been opened .It's the only reason I have PP in my car instead of QSUD.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
In Canada 5L of Quaker State is $50.99. 5L of Pennzoil Platinum is $51.99.

The brand name has a lot to do with a product's popularity. There's another brand name that's not very popular because people subconsciously hate British royalty....

I find QSUD to be a good oil i think pp cleans better because the qsud stays clean a lot longer and that usually indicates to me its not cleaning as well. I buy qsud because sometimes i get a good price on it if the price gets any higher i will switch to something else.

As a bonus you can get a $20 rebate if you sign up for their warranty. Also u get the shell fuel discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back