Why is it so blasted hard to get?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biodiesel, that is, anti-Texas Tea, which is.
laugh.gif

Either I have to apply for a cardlock operation, or I'm referred to a "24/7 public" pump, where I still need a fleet card to get it. And why not B5, the more-or-less universally acceptable grade, if not B20, as opposed to B99?
dunno.gif

I was all set to get B99, to put in a 5-gallon jerry can. In this can, I would have already added 20 ounces each of Amsoil Diesel Concentrate and Amsoil Cetane Boost. From the jerry can to a 1-gallon container (a type-1 safety can) I would pour this witch's brew. From the safety can to a tank with 19 gallons of ULSD (in the guise of my Jeep) I would pour. This would yield a tank of B5.
cool.gif

Looks like my only easy biodiesel fill up will be next week when I travel through Oregon to California. What's with Oregon and the biodiesel enthusiasm? California has all its biodiesel stations on the coast, not on the I-5 corridor.

C'mon guys! I want it, just make it convenient!
patriot.gif

Good luck getting biodiesel in Cali w/o belonging to a group. California still regulates biodiesel as an experimental motor fuel, or fuel additive. They allow fleets and biodiesel user groups(BUGS) to buy and use biodiesel. I live here and had to join a group(Golden Gate Biodiesel user group), got a cardlock card so I can get biodiesel here in Martinez. Also, about the B99, these outlets get a $1.00 gallon tax credit for every gallon of biodiesel mixed with petrodiesel! So if as example, they blend 99 gals of bio with 1 gal petro(B99), they get $99 credit. Blend 5 gal bio with 95 gal petro(B5), only $5 credit for the same 100 gal. Therefore, B99 is way more profitable than B100(no tax incentive), or any of the other blends.

Tom.
driving.gif

Quote:

Also, about the B99, these outlets get a $1.00 gallon tax credit for every gallon of biodiesel mixed with petrodiesel! So if as example, they blend 99 gals of bio with 1 gal petro(B99), they get $99 credit. Blend 5 gal bio with 95 gal petro(B5), only $5 credit for the same 100 gal. Therefore, B99 is way more profitable than B100(no tax incentive), or any of the other blends.

Which genie-0-ous thought this sytem up????

Quote:

Quote:

Also, about the B99, these outlets get a $1.00 gallon tax credit for every gallon of biodiesel mixed with petrodiesel! So if as example, they blend 99 gals of bio with 1 gal petro(B99), they get $99 credit. Blend 5 gal bio with 95 gal petro(B5), only $5 credit for the same 100 gal. Therefore, B99 is way more profitable than B100(no tax incentive), or any of the other blends.

Which genie-0-ous thought this sytem up????

I knew I read it from my local BUG, so I searched and found the form......IRS. My understanding is that it was instituted to encourage more investment into biodiesel and alt. fuels...., Not just biodiesel....check out what is included!

IRS refunds

big oil has too much $ and power to allow bio anything to take a hold.. it will be left up to us as citizens to refute the big oil (yeah right i know we all have to have it) but thats what its going to take to convert faster to bio fuels..

Its mandated by my employer that we use only Bio diesel in all state construction vehicles. Will say it puts off way less smoke but, the downside is that it clogged the fuel filters on every piece of machinery we have. Put on series of new fuel filters and it finally fixed itself.

Rob Taggs, did you use a blend or just straight B100? I ask this 'cause I just now am running my first tank of B20 in my Dodge Ram (that's what my local fuel stop for it now uses standard for diesel fuel), and was wondering when I should look into changing the fuel filter. It's not that old or has that many miles on it, but if the fuel's going to be cleaning something, I should have some backup on hand to change out at a pucker's notice.

Dad2leia,

It is a blend, unsure of the ratio. We get it from the local farmers CO OP. The trucks coming to a dead halt happened almost immediatly with old and new dump trucks. Some required two fuel filter changes before the problem was solved. The biodiesel was just cleaning and flushing out the old #2 diesel that we used to run in the trucks.

Funny thing is that all the trucks smell like popcorn! Our biodiesel just has that wierd smell, makes you want to go to the movies!

The exhaust from bio diesel powered buses around here makes me choke. I prefer petroleum for diesel engines. Acrolein levels are greatly increased when using bio diesel, and that is a serious lung irritant. It's probably ok in new engines that are clean burning.

oilyriser, if the buses are transit buses and they are running either passive or active DPF/cats that is what you are smelling, not the bio necessarily.

I can easily get B99 and B100. I usually get B99 cause it's easier to find and less expensive. I ran two tanks of B25 (filled up at 3/4 tank), two tanks of B50 and been running B99 ever since. After the two tanks of B50 I pulled my fuel filters and looked at them and they were as clean as when I put them in, so I ran them for my normal change interval.

Keep on eye on your fuel pressure if you have a gauge and if not check the bowl on the bottom of the fuel filter and change them a bit early if you are worried. How old is the truck and where have you bought most of your fuel?

Hey, I just found a site that helps locate biodiesel stations all over the country.

http://www.nearbio.com/

You can even plot a trip route and they will search for stations along the way.
By the way, I've been buying B99 and running it in my 2002 VW Bug for a year now. It is great. No problems and it smells so much better than petroleum diesel.

There's plenty of smoke in the bus exhaust, so I don't think they're filtering anyting. It's just that some of them are worn out, and don't burn the stuff as well. They should run the new clean ones on BD, and leave the old ones with petroleum.

What's the point of a diesel exhaust catalyst if it makes the exhaust more toxic? Is this a maintenance or adjustment problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back