Why HTHS 3.0 Minimum Is Preferred By Many ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by talest
ka9mnx said:
I lost trust in what the manufacturer suggests when Ford back-specd my 1960's designed 300ci inline six to 5w-20. I tried it and it wasn't pretty.

Why would you want to do that?

Because it became a Ford spec and Ford engineers know better than me, right?

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Also, will the hthsv shear the same more/less than or be effected by dilution more/less than the other shear factors or vii's and what not. If I run a 5w30 with a hthsv of 3.0 for 10k miles, what will the hthsv shear to? Would more vii help protect the hthvs from shearing over time or would it have the same shear rate with or without vii all together?

There's no way of determining what it would shear to, you'd have to actually measure it. Since it's the VII polymers that shear, less of them means less shear.

Normal driving = A decent brand synthetic with the grade on the cap. Spirited driving on the road= HTHS 3.0 or better and something with more PAO then your avg "full syn". Strip/Track= HTHS 3.5 to deal with fuel dilution at high rpms and load so Redline, 0w40FS Liquid Moly, Ravenol ect and boatloads of antiwear additives .

Originally Posted by oldhp
Where do find the HTHS spec at? At PQIA? What do you look for?

They are often (but not always) listed in the oil PDS.

Originally Posted by Mainia
I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with a 1.8 liter that is not on the Hyundai motor list of recall, because it is on a double secret "warranty fix" list that they don't want the governments to ADD to the list of engines Hyundai can't seem to build correctly.

Does any government keep such a list of engines that can't be built correctly?

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Mainia
I had a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with a 1.8 liter that is not on the Hyundai motor list of recall, because it is on a double secret "warranty fix" list that they don't want the governments to ADD to the list of engines Hyundai can't seem to build correctly.

Does any government keep such a list of engines that can't be built correctly?

They do but if you see this list your body will be found in a park somewhere.

The scat is deep with that comment.

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Through various threads here an "HTHS 3.0 minimum reference" is stated as the base line minimum for engine protection . That would then seem to render HTHS readings below 3.0 (i.e. 2.7) to be inferior or at least less than desirable in engine protection . Perhaps stated another way : "What makes an HTHS of 2.7 less desirable than an HTHS of 3.0 and above ? ... Are their tests of HTHS 2.7 and HTHS 3.0 run side by side in the same temp , load , RPM , etc. conditions that show a clear difference in protection ?

Well, as you know, HTHS is pretty much the true measure of how much oil is actually flowing through where it is supposed to go at temperature and when it is hotter than blazes outside etc. The synthetics don't shear down. This site is cool and all, but it is still comprised of humans, sometimes, experts! Source: Them - that have their own individual attitudes and other things towards brand, how to measure oil, how to prop up their own oil, how to tear other oils down, ..in some threads, good base stocks make the oil. In other threads, they then don't matter.

If the HTHS is consistent with the SAE grade it says on the engine cap for your car then you should be great, and the rest is just healthy discussion in a good spirit and not nasty bickering about what might not even be applicable law.. the HTHS of an oil that meets the grade supposed to be in the car more than likely specified in something such as 5W-20 is not a disqualifier of that oil.

In conclusion, the minimum HTHS of a 5W-30 is 2.9, so having an oil with an HTHS 3.0 is probably indicating some kind of sweet spot of a Thick 20 if you wanted to say, I was not aware of the statement people prefer an HTHS of 3.0 although I can see why that would be attractive. Would have to indicate that it is all relative, as to your post.

I run that redline 0w20 which has a 2.9hths with a bit of 0w30 M1 just because I like it a Lil gooeyier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back