Why don't females tell you when something is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
It gets that cold where yo live?

Does she drive far enough for it to really register?

My wife is pretty good normally about telling me what needs to be done. Well I drove the Buick this weekend, the car she drives 90 % of it’s mileage. I said whoa this thing needs an alignment, she just said yep. Ok why didn’t you tell me?

We've established that my wife has 2 modes for detecting automotive problems: On fire, or not.
grin2.gif

My mom did that. She had a Buick Rendezvous and ran the brakes down to metal on metal for a while and didn't tell me. She finally told me it was making noise. She didn't put 2 and 2 together that it would be the brakes either. I came to pick it up and drive to my grandparent's where I'd have room to work on it. There was no brake pressure whatsoever. I had to drive with the parking brake.

It ruined the caliper and I had to put a new one on.

Just marry another dude. Any minor sound, cel or odd thing that happens you'll immediately hear about.

Was at my parents house for a BBQ one day when in town and having a beer with my brother.

There's a horrific noise coming up the driveway (Battleaxe block), and up the driveway comes his wife in their Chrysler Sigma (chrysler badged mitsubishi), with heat haze pouring out underneath it, blue mist, the lot.

Wheezes to a halt, then when she kills the ignition just halts.

Brother asked here what happened

"On the way to work, the temperature guage went into the red, and I watched it like you told me. After a while, it started to come back...after work, it stayed cold all the way home".

Top radiator hose...head looked like the archibald fountain when we cranked it plugs out.

My wife tells me all sorts of stuff...usually in the 5 minutes before we have to go to work...the ABS and "skiddy thing" lights were on all the way home from work. Blinker light is out. Headlight is out.

Never Ever suggest that these behaviours are wrong...you HAVE been told.

These examples are exactly why I drive my other vehicles (wife's car, daughter's car, dad's car, etc) when I get a chance. My son would recognize something "wrong" and deal with it immediately; not so much the others in my family ... So I have to be "hands on" and drive them so I can get a perception of what's "normal" or not. If I don't drive them regularly, I end up with something like what happened to the OP.
mad.gif

Many years ago my aunt and uncle (now both deceased) had a brand new Chev Lumina. It died on her one day right in the middle of an intersection. Turns out it had no oil. From the day it was new, never got an oil change or any top off. It was my aunt's car to drive. A bit of contention in the household for a while ...
He: Didn't you see the little red light was on?
She: I don't do vehicles; it's your job to take care of it.
He just presumed she'd let him know about the "problems"; but she had zero sense of mechanical things. And I mean NONE. He wasn't a savant with mechanical stuff either; cut the tip of his finger off in a snow-blower by trying to clear the chute with the machine still running.
Two peas in a pod. Great people; loved them dearly. But no sense of the mechanical world around them. Zero. Zip. Nada.
To think that either of them would wait for the car to tell them something is wrong (like no oil pressure) is the indication that neither of them really paid any attention to the routine things like fluids checks, etc. Oil changes were just incidental to them both.

The only thing I would mention to the OP is that it's not just limited to females. Some folks just don't "get it".

Last edited:
I know two women who drove 2-4 miles with the oil light on, but the cars continued to run ok after they were refilled. Now I've begun to question the credibility of the oil light.
confused.gif
Maybe women know something we don't?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
These examples are exactly why I drive my other vehicles (wife's car, daughter's car, dad's car, etc) when I get a chance. My son would recognize something "wrong" and deal with it immediately; not so much the others in my family ... So I have to be "hands on" and drive them so I can get a perception of what's "normal" or not. If I don't drive them regularly, I end up with something like what happened to the OP.
mad.gif

My wife just told me recently that our daughter's 2015 Impreza with a 2.0l NA engine felt more powerful than her Avalon with a 3.5l V6.
I need to get that Avalon out and see if there's really something going on with it...

It's beyond frustrating. My wife clams up when something is wrong and if she tells me at all, it has to be pried out of her. I would much rather she tell me about it, at least that way I can attempt to correct the issue. I can't do anything about it if I don't know what's wrong...

Likely a symptom of men not completely listening to their problems and trying to solve them right off the bat?????

I found my relationship went way further when I just listened to my wife even though I knew a good response or the answer very early on. Sheer guess, I just listen or feign listening and oh how much happier she is.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Likely a symptom of men not completely listening to their problems and trying to solve them right off the bat?????

I found my relationship went way further when I just listened to my wife even though I knew a good response or the answer very early on. Sheer guess, I just listen or feign listening and oh how much happier she is.

I can't listen if she doesn't talk...

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
This sounds like a motor oil madman question. Lol

LOL, I was thinking this exact thing, I even looked at the poster before I opened it.
smile.gif

My wife is good about telling me if something is amiss, and my daughter is starting drivers ed and is learning what too look/listen/feel for and make sure to tell me if anything does not feel right.
My mom also lets me know if something is not right with her car also.

I didnt read all the posts, but I make it a point to drive my wifes work car at least once a week. Even just to go fill it up with gas or something.

She never says anything either.

My wife has no mechanical aptitude. If the car starts and moves, she'll drive it. She doesn't know what's "normal" when it comes to cars.

A few years back I found out the airbag light had been on for at least a month or more in her car when I went to move it one day.

More recently our vans brakes where grinding on one side. One of the tabs on the brake hardware had bent over and was grinding a groove in the rotor when you applied the brakes. The groove was pretty deep so I imagine it had been doing that for a while. Found the A/C also was warm while I was test driving for the brakes. I didn't even say anything, I just recharged it and she mentioned how cold the A/C was the next day.

I intentionally drive and check out both vehicles once a week now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back