Why does VW specify changing brake fluid every 24K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dwcopple
That seems unreasonable

Why does it sound unreasonable?

Brake fluid absorbs water, especially DOT4 (which is what VW uses). Additionally, the German auto inspection (TUF) requires you change your brake fluid.

Part of the reason is the German TÃœV, inspection is every 2 years so even if the fluid is good for longer eg 3 years it may not be good enough till the next inspection.
TÃœV engineers have stated 2 years is optimal for the conditions in that country which are not much different from many parts of the USA.
Vehicles operated in a dry climate eg AZ can probably go much longer without any moisture contamination of the fluid and regions with very high humidity may be right at 2 years. Breaking the service requirement down based on region of one country would be a pain so they leave it.

Brake fluid service is important to prevent internal corrosion of the lines and calipers/cylinders as well as maintaining the boiling point of the fluid. It should in no way be considered creative work for the dealers.

Originally Posted by CT8
That seems unreasonable

Why does it sound unreasonable?

Because people are cheap and think manufacturers are trying to nickel and dime them on maintenance.

But... since I was at the dealership yesterday, getting the airbag control module recall done, I told them I wanted them to clean the panoramic sunroof water drain lines... $160 (for the hour of labor) is a whole lot cheaper than a new headliner.

Last edited:
That seems unreasonable

24k? Unit of measurement? Source?

Are you sure it doesn't say 24 months, which has been the standard brake fluid change interval on most Euro cars that use DOT4 fluid?

Originally Posted by loneryder
Originally Posted by pbm
Brake fluid absorbs moisture which affects it's boiling point and effectiveness......I think the term is 'hygroscopic'...

And the fluid they use these days is very hydroscopic.

the correct term is hygroscopic.

What is the difference between Hydroscopic and hygroscopic?
Yes, hydroscopic is a word. It's an adjective derived from a noun: hydroscope. The word hydroscope is usually used to mean a device for observing underwater objects, say from a boat. ... The word hygroscopic is now more commonly used to describe a material that tends to absorb water.

back on topic IIRC Subaru suggested either 2 or 3 years.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
That seems unreasonable

24k? Unit of measurement? Source?

Are you sure it doesn't say 24 months, which has been the standard brake fluid change interval on most Euro cars that use DOT4 fluid?

That's right. It's every 2 years, not every 24k (miles), and that's typical for most German cars, as others noted.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by JohnG
Mercedes (2018) specifies every 20,000 miles. Of course they also specify 10,000 mile oil changes, so what do they know?
Rolls Royce USED to specify every 100,000 miles, but that was probably before lawyers got involved.

I've gone 10k on oil changes with my MB. It takes 8.5 quarts of synthetic oil so there's plenty of oil in there and it doesn't burn any. It used to be 13k but I guess most Americans couldn't stand that long a time period so they reduced it to 10k. They had transmission fluid changes at 39k which would be 3 oil changes.

My grandson had an old toyota hybrid. When he brought it to me for new pads the brake fluid looked like mushroom soup. I change my brake fluid every 3 years (Nevada often has RH of 15% or lower).

Mercedes (2018) specifies every 20,000 miles. Of course they also specify 10,000 mile oil changes, so what do they know?
Rolls Royce USED to specify every 100,000 miles, but that was probably before lawyers got involved.

IIRC the RR you are referring to used a different hydraulic fluid similar or the same as the stuff Citroen used in their main system which is also used by the suspension and steering.

My street cars get fresh DOT4 every two years, the track rat(s) every six months.

Probably because its a good idea to maintain and protect something that can kill you if things go bad, and it's an expensive braking system.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I've gone 10k on oil changes with my MB. It takes 8.5 quarts of synthetic oil so there's plenty of oil in there and it doesn't burn any. It used to be 13k but I guess most Americans couldn't stand that long a time period so they reduced it to 10k. They had transmission fluid changes at 39k which would be 3 oil changes.

Yes, I know. I've gone 12,000 miles on a 2004 Chevy truck using the OLM, got a used oil analysis and posted it here. It was fine. Most on this forum would screech in horror of the thought!
shocked.gif

I change my MB oil each year, regardless of mileage, but I don't drive that much anymore, so it ends up being Interestingly, this agrees with the MB OLM as well. When I specified 229.6 oil for my car, it told me "next oil change due in 365 days"!
OH, the horrors!

Other fluids, including brake fluid will be replaced according to the MB maintenance schedule.

I change the BMW TPT oilin the BMWs and Mini at 10k miles/1year- usually the latter. I go two years on the PP 10W-30 in the Wrangler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back