Why do mower filters have a bigger absolute micron rating?

At least with Wix, the correct filter for my mower engine is the 57035 which has an absolute micron rating of 32, however the 51348 is 21 micron absolute and costs almost half as much! Both filters have virtually identical bypass, flow and burst spes. I'm assuming that Wix designed or patterned their filters off of the original part, but still, what gives?

Just a guess. They aren't concerned with anything "smaller" than 32 microns. If there is room you can run the Wix 51516 / NAPA Gold 1516 as it's 2.5" taller. I had a JD with 17HP (Kawasaki ?) and used the NAPA 1516 for 6 years. Sold it and it's still running. The oil always looked brand new, but I changed it anyway.

Last edited:
Assuming that due to the operating environment, there may be more particles in the oil and the bigger rating is a compromise to sacrifice some filtering for slower loading of the filter and better flow?? Same w/ some diesels, IIRC older VW gas and diesels took the essentially the same filter but with the diesels having a bigger rating.

Presumably the 57035 meets the engine maker's requirements (or is better). The 51348 just happens to fit, happens to filter "better", but is also a very common size (my wife's Fusion can use that filter, for example). More common = more produced = lower consumer cost.

That 57035 crosses to a Fram 8170. Who's heard of that ? This page, https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/57035, lists only (54) cross-references while the 51348 lists almost (400) more.

Assuming the efficiency is tested at the same flow rate a smaller filter with the same type of media will be less efficient because the greater pressure drop of the media can force more marginal sized particles through, on a mower the efficiency of either filter probably doesn't make much difference because I doubt the flow rate is very high to begin with.

Price... economy of scales

Another listed above for typical small engines if yours doesn't fit the 3614/3600 sized filters

a while back, dad had to send his Cub tractor to the dealer for something... had them do an OC while it was in....
he got an earful from the service guy about only using the OE Cub/Kohler filters, as the automotive filters are too restrictive, don't flow enough....

next OC... another FL-910s went right back on... $6 Ford filter vs $21 Kohler rock catcher... let me think for a min.

Well … seems an automotive filter has to take on full flow at a higher rate than OPE motors … I’m running an XG3614 that should be 20 micron … and not worried about it …

I don't see a mower engine having the oil pump a higher rpm vehicle engine has. Less pressure and flow so a less restrictive filter IMO.
Most run at 3600 rpm unlike higher rpm vehicle engines.

I've been running oversized (Fram 3600 sized) filters on my 2007 B&S 17hp riding mower for years. I change the oil and filter annually and it always looks clean (probably about 10 hours total uses per year...maybe 12). I use 10w30 synthetic and it burns no oil. I may start going 2 years on the filter because they always look new when I cut them open.

I've been running oversized (Fram 3600 sized) filters on my 2007 B&S 17hp riding mower for years. I change the oil and filter annually and it always looks clean (probably about 10 hours total uses per year...maybe 12). I use 10w30 synthetic and it burns no oil. I may start going 2 years on the filter because they always look new when I cut them open.
Fyi, I too use a car filter on my B&S 21hp engine on my JD mower, a Purolator PL10241, which has same threads & pressure bypass psi. I just remove the filter & pour out the fluid in it & replace it every oil change. These filters are good for 10k miles on a car so 10 hrs a year is nothing.

The same oil filter for Honda Goldwing GL1800 (the number I know is HiFlo Filtro HF204) fits maybe 25% of all modern Japanese motorcycles and most all mower engines.

I put 15-20 hrs a year on mine and change the oil every 2 yrs and the xg3614 has been on there 5 yrs now. Had a valve cover off recently and motor is spotless inside

Briggs & Stratton 696854​

Shows 45 replacements - What do you guys recommend as a suitable replacement?

I'm thinking the Fram PH8170

Briggs & Stratton 696854​

Shows 45 replacements - What do you guys recommend as a suitable replacement?

I'm thinking the Fram PH8170
I usually use the PH3614, it is slightly longer, but not by much, and much cheaper since it is more widely used. The PH3600 is too long in my opinion and sticks out on most mowers, just asking to get bashed into something.

My most commonly used filters on Briggs engines recently have been:
-Fram PH3614 or TG3614
-SuperTech ST3614 (MP3614 if you wanna get fancy)
-AC-Delco PF2210
-Motorcraft FL-910s

I don't see a mower engine having the oil pump a higher rpm vehicle engine has. Less pressure and flow so a less restrictive filter IMO.
Most run at 3600 rpm unlike higher rpm vehicle engines.
So just to be clear, do you or don't you recommend the Fram 3614 variants for OPE? I've been using the TG3614 on my JD140 lawn tractor that averages 30 hours per year. I've recently started running the filter for two years or 60 hours.

Back